Sign in to follow this  
Pe11e

Simple tweak for better FPS in a complex plane

Before I get started, this tweak is for users that doesn't have high end system, like me. My Q9505@3.6ghz can't cope with NGX. I mean it's flyable (from 20 to 30fps) but on finals with AI planes fps tends to go under 20, with lots of stutter. So I tried something simple, and it worked like a charm!

This tweak is perfect for VC flyers that doesn't, or rarely use external view (spot view). Even if you are using external views, you can adapt this tweak. If you are very fond to watching and adore fantastic external model of NGX, skip this tweak and enjoy lower fps. :)

So, I simply copied external model of default 737-800 (B737_800.mdl) to the model folder of PMDG 737-800NGX.

Then I edited PMDG's model.cfg to look like this:

[models]
normal=B737_800
interior=PMDG_737_900_VC_LOW

Reloaded the plane, and voilla, FPS better by 20% at least! And flight is much smoother, without stutters. Oh yes, VAS usage is lower also! NGX is using only 400mb with this tweak.

If you copied only the external model, you'll get completely black model in FSX, because the model is not linked with any textures. Follow these steps to obtain textures for external model:

- from B737-800 default folder copy "texture.1" (or any other texture.x folder) folder to PMDG 737-800NGX folder.

- copy "texture.cfg" file from "texture.pmdg" folder to "texture.x" folder and overwrite.

- open aircraft.cfg for PMDG 737-800NGX and find this line:

[fltsim.0]
title=Boeing 737-800NGX PMDG House
sim=B737-800
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=pmdg

- change it to texture=1 (in my case texture.1 folder I copied)

That's it! Test it and report back. :)

There are few drawbacks though. The light effect (strobe, landing, etc) is not visible from external view, and the model position on ground is slightly off. But who cares, I can fly this beauty now.

Also I'm quite aware that probably I didn't found gold, it is probably an old tweak. But I'm stunned by fps gain, and how simple it is to implement it.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

"VAS=400 with this tweak"....how much is it normally?

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

Sure sounds good for users, but not sure how much PMDG is going to like you modifying their product in any way that will change the original product (as stated in EULA)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

Brendan Chen

Learning to use and getting use to FSX!

I remember someone said that NGX

is using about 700mb of VAS.

Sent from my U8815 using Tapatalk 2

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

What a creative way to think outside the box!   This would have been a great find for me before my current build and I'm sure as things get increasingly more complex even current hardware will begin to buckle a little so will need to remember your handiwork.  Thanks!

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

Sure sounds good for users, but not sure how much PMDG is going to like you modifying their product in any way that will change the original product (as stated in EULA)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

I'm modifying it for myself. I didn't upload any modification here. I bought the plane so I can modify it to the extremes for my own needs.

Sent from my U8815 using Tapatalk 2

Nice suggestion that I will try.

As I have a real size 2/3 cockpit and do not use external views every fps I could gain is very welcome.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Even easier, just comment // out the exterior model.

[models]

//normal=(insert name here)

Then you will have no exterior at all, but plane will still fly the same.

Btw, putting no model or a low poly model wont effect performance at all when in the VC. When your in the VC the exterior model unloads from memory, so it wont improve performance at all in the VC.

This has already been covered by Ryan at PMDG a while ago when asked about this.

It did work in Fs9 because the VC and exterior model were all pary of the same one model. In FSX the models for VC and exterior are two seperate models.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Even easier, just comment // out the exterior model.

[models]

//normal=(insert name here)

Then you will have no exterior at all, but plane will still fly the same.

Btw, putting no model or a low poly model wont effect performance at all when in the VC. When your in the VC the exterior model unloads from memory, so it wont improve performance at all in the VC.

This has already been covered by Ryan at PMDG a while ago when asked about this.

It did work in Fs9 because the VC and exterior model were all pary of the same one model. In FSX the models for VC and exterior are two seperate models.

I thoght about putting // (no model) but I like to have some exterior model just for reference.

Maybe you are right about VC and exterior model, but with this tweak fps in the NGX VC went from 29 to 35. So the tweak seems legit. :)

Hmm I wonder if replacing the external model could be that easy with some other addon aircraft too too? There are a couple of birds with really nice VC and all but very ugly external model...

Although Jim's is logically correct, that with FSX, when you are in the VC, the exterior model is not loaded, I personally completely removed the exterior model in the Carenado SR22, when it was first released and had abysmal FPS, and it made a striking difference to frame rates. (17 FPS > 30 FPS).

So yes, removing external models certainly does seem to lead to a frame rate increase when in the VC - although quite how, I'm not sure!

Maybe this could be posted on the PMDG forum, so that the developers can explain why this happens?

James Goggi

This tweak ignited a spark in me, now I want to replace an external model of Airbus X Extended and Majestic Q 400. I bought only these three complex airliners so far, so I can't test further.

Wow, this sounds like fun and possibly hopeful.

I could try this on everything. Where do I find these entries? Say Carenado, Realair, I could experiment a little bit.

Bob

Entries are in a model.cfg file located in a model subfolder of any plane you have. Check my first post for a bit detailed explanation.