Sign in to follow this  

Please try this when you have low fps with clouds and high AA settings

This might be worth a topic of its own so I am reposting this here.

Some people have huge problems with performance using DX10 when there are (lots of) clouds onscreen and when they use higher AA settings like 4x AA with 4xSGSS. Some people also have problems with water animations. When trying to solve his water problems, and succeeding to do so (by installing the default FSX wave animation instead of the REX one), SolRayz (Marc) also found out, by surprise, his low fps problem was solved:

Just a follow up...water issues I was having are now solved. Restoring default textures in REX and then reapplying them worked for me. I left default wave animation set and voila! My dx10 white caps are there!  So happy I got this sorted.

Also the performance issues I was having in heavy clouds with 4xSGSS seems to have vanished now. I am getting solid fps and smooth fluid motions throughout my flight, panning, spot view....etc, etc even in overcast conditions. I just can't believe it. I am almost positive that recycling the default textures in REX solved that issue as well. I have yet to test my setup at higher TML's and LOD's, but currently at default it is performing really well. Mind you I try to stay locked at 40 for trackIR purposes.

Its difficult to explain how smooth the sim feels now until you really experience it. This is not a gimmick. So, I think I caught the bug, and turning back now will probably be impossible.

So it would be a good thing if everyone who has an fps drop with clouds AND who uses REX animations to see if this solves your problem too! If this happens with everyone, we have another problem solved!

This is what I did. I more or less started over.

-Disabled Fixer libraries, no need to uninstall Fixer app.

-Deleted Shader HLSL library in the root with a default replacement that Paul posted awhile back

-Set fsx.cfg to pretty much default....except for BP=0, AF=14, FTFF=120 (tested before and this is all critical on my system in dx9 and dx10)

-Restored REX textures to default, and closed out of REX for now

-Re-installed/RE-enabled Fixer libraries

-Re-enabled switch to DX10 with 4x and 4xSSGS in NI (NI config is the same Jaroen's which he posted before)

-In game, I kept all my Scenery sliders max except Scenery Density to Dense and Water to High2x

-Disabled any traffic programs, AI in game, and used clear skies default weather

-Tested initially in an area I am very familiar with default 172, then introduced weather (I first noticed my cloud performance issues seemed to have vanished, and water animations were present in all there glory) :O

-Exited FSX, and re-enabled all REX textures except water textures and water animation. (1024 res), 32bit water, dxt5 clouds.

-Tested again, and all looked good even with Bloom and Self Shadows enabled.

-Exited again, enabled REX water textures and tested. Looking good.

The key is to work slowly in steps.

I am now getting 40 locked in  areas that were dipping into the low 20's before. I have yet to test at higher LOD and TML settings and have not tested with resource intensive AI traffic and addons. Also am currently still using default wave animation since I like the white caps! Still a work in progress but getting there!

Good luck people!

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

This is what I did. I more or less started over.

-Disabled Fixer libraries, no need to uninstall Fixer app.

-Deleted Shader HLSL library in the root with a default replacement that Paul posted awhile back

-Set fsx.cfg to pretty much default....except for BP=0, AF=14, FTFF=120 (tested before and this is all critical on my system in dx9 and dx10)

-Restored REX textures to default, and closed out of REX for now

-Re-enabled switch to DX10 with 4x and 4xSSGS in NI (NI config is the same Jaroen's which he posted before)

-In game, I kept all my Scenery sliders max except Scenery Density to Dense and Water to High2x

-Disabled any traffic programs, AI in game, and used clear skies default weather

-Tested initially in an area I am very familiar with default 172, then introduced weather (I first noticed my cloud performance issues seemed to have vanished, and water animations were present in all there glory) :O

-Exited FSX, and re-enabled all REX textures except water textures and water animation. (1024 res), 32bit water, dxt5 clouds.

-Tested again, and all looked good even with Bloom and Self Shadows enabled.

-Exited again, enabled REX water textures and tested. Looking good.

The key is to work slowly in steps.

I am now getting 40 locked in  areas that were dipping into the low 20's before. I have yet to test at higher LOD and TML settings and have not tested with resource intensive AI traffic and addons. Also am currently still using default wave animation since I like the white caps! Still a work in progress but getting there!

Good luck people!

Did you enable Fixer libraries before switching to DX10?

Jose De Campos

London

oops...yeah forgot to add that part. Edited, thanks Jose

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

Can anyone confirm that these are the default file names for the wave?

OceanHeight20FieldHigh.dds
OceanHeight20FieldLayer.dds
OceanHeight20FieldLayer1.dds
OceanHeight20FieldLayer2.dds
OceanHeight20FieldLayer3.dds
OceanHeight20FieldLayer4.dds
OceanHeight20FieldLayer5.dds

Marc thanks for the help have to give this a go nothing to loose right  :)

Rich Sennett

(snip)
Also am currently still using default wave animation since I like the white caps!

The REX water animation "Use This" has very nice looking wind sensitive DX10 white caps, provided you use the 32 bit version.  Beware that it comes with a performance hit compared the already fine looking stock DX10 water animation.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

The REX water animation "Use This" has very nice looking wind sensitive DX10 white caps, provided you use the 32 bit version

:lol: - I just found out an hour ago (on my lunch break) that I need to be using the 32 bit version to get a much nicer looking wave animation.

I hate to rain on this parade but for me, at least, this didn't do the trick.  For some reason I am getting 99% GPU utilization and slow FPS in DX10 with 4X FSAA and SGSS set at 4.  I followed SolRayz directions to the T, did mods to my fsx.cfg suggested by Paul, and still I'm getting sub 20fps with heavy cloud cover.  Here's my BirdDog on the runway at Misty's Place with heavy cloud cover... note the GPU utilization graph at the bottom left.  I'm going to try the GTX 680 and see if that makes any difference...

I hate to rain on this parade but for me, at least, this didn't do the trick.  For some reason I am getting 99% GPU utilization and slow FPS in DX10 with 4X FSAA and SGSS set at 4.  I followed SolRayz directions to the T, did mods to my fsx.cfg suggested by Paul, and still I'm getting sub 20fps with heavy cloud cover.  Here's my BirdDog on the runway at Misty's Place with heavy cloud cover... note the GPU utilization graph at the bottom left.  I'm going to try the GTX 680 and see if that makes any difference...

What is the Airport ICAO ?

What is High AA when using my HD7970? I am using Supersample in CCC and 4X in FX10Scenery fixer

Fixerlibrary what is that ? Is it Dx10sceneryfixer or

I will test on my system

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

What is the Airport ICAO ?

What is High AA when using my HD7970? I am using Supersample in CCC and 4X in FX10Scenery fixer

Fixerlibrary what is that ? Is it Dx10sceneryfixer or

I will test on my system

Michael Moe

The ICAO is PF20 but it's fictional - a part of the Return to Misty Moorings scenery.

You are not the first person to complain about performance with the birddog, but I have not tried to fly her yet. I intially used the the default 172, but moved on to the Realair Legacy Lancair with similar positive results. I own the birddog aswell, and I will give her a go tonight.  

Also please go to KPMP with default C172 and report back your fps, no AI, or other traffic. BP=0, TML 1024 LOD 4.5, REX is weather ok but no texture resolution more than 1024 w/ clouds DXT5.

Also please go to KPMP with default C172 and report back your fps, no AI, or other traffic. BP=0, TML 1024 LOD 4.5, REX is weather ok but no texture resolution more than 1024 w/ clouds DXT5.

Here you go - locked at 16fps with 99% GPU utilization...

Thanks. I'll give the default water annimation a try.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.