Sign in to follow this  
Piper9t3

PS3 Controller

I have updated to 3.34.  Anybody figure out how to connect a PS3 game controller to LCC? 

John Pipilas

Win 10 ​- i7 2600k CPU - AMD Radeon R9 Fury X GPU 

Firstly, update to the latest Beta that way you will be sure to have the most up to date build (same software so dont worry).

Then make sure all is working as normal, check your Configure and all Weather dialogs (set all defaults).

Then shutdown Opus and FSX.

Then plug in your controller, install the windows driver and calibrate.

Then start up FSX and the FSXSERVER program.

Edit the FSX SETTINGs and Delete all button and axes assignments (automatically made by FSX) to your new PS3 controller, save the changes. The controller should control nothing.

Then open the Opus Spy window, you should see the controller listed there.

Open the Shortcuts dialog and click on Live Camera Control (LCC).

Select the controller type from the Controller list box.

Click on Left and then operate the left-hand X axis on the controller.

Click on Up and operate the left-hand Y axis on the controller.

Repeat for Forward and Yaw Left using the right-hand axes.

Now assign your buttons. I use the left-hand buttons for motion, the right-hand for stop and resets, then central buttons for changing mode and the PS centre button for the Set Camera LCC function.

Click Save a couple of times and you are done.

Stephen

Then plug in your controller, install the windows driver and calibrate.

Hi Stephen

I have plugged in my PS3 controller and driver automatically installed.  Under Control Panel my PS3 controller is detected and appears to be working properly.  However when I go to calibrate it, windows does not seem to detect the controller?  There is no response in the calibration dialogues for x/y/z axis/z rotation or any buttons.  I also notice the 4 red led lights are constantly flashing on the PS3 controller.  Any suggestions?

John Pipilas

Nothing really to do with Opus. The LEDs do flash on the controller, not sure when they go out.

Just run FSX and calibrate through that if needed. Make sure you remove all buttons and axes assignments in FSX. Run FSXSERVER and confirm the same device list displayed in the Spy window. Then just assign your Shortcut buttons and axes in Opus Shortcuts - Live Camera Control and give it a go. Can't recall if I calibrated mine.

Stephen

Hi Stephen
I have plugged in my PS3 controller and driver automatically installed.  Under Control Panel my PS3 controller is detected and appears to be working properly.  However when I go to calibrate it, windows does not seem to detect the controller?  There is no response in the calibration dialogues for x/y/z axis/z rotation or any buttons.  I also notice the 4 red led lights are constantly flashing on the PS3 controller.  Any suggestions?

I had the same problem on my systems (Windows 7 64 bit); upon plugging the PS3 controller in a driver was loaded.  The windows game controller control panel shows the PS3 controller and the buttons are detected but no axis movements are.  The only solution I found was to install the following PS3 driver: http://www.motioninjoy.com/download.  It's far from ideal as I need to run the program each time I want to use the controller and "enable" the driver in order for the axis to work.  That being said it works great with Opus/FSX and this could be one of my favorite additions to this tremendous piece of software!

I'd love to hear if there is an alternative to getting this to work without motion joy.  Otherwise I may just buy a generic USB game controller designed for windows.

Andreas

ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo * E8600 3.33 o/c 4.0 ghz * EVGA GTX 275 *

OCZ Reaper DDR2 4GB * Corsair 750W ATX * Lian-LI Case

Well I have deleted the default FSX settings for the PS3 controller and it shows up in the Spy window but when I try to map the buttons in LCC shortcuts the dialogue box does not detect the PS3 controller inputs.  There must be something else missing here?

John Pipilas

All buttons are reported as events through the SimConnect interface so open Spy, press a button and make sure its reported just like other controller buttons. I trust you have not disabled the controllers in FSX, make sure they are enabled. The LCC software will acquire the device after you identify it in the drop down list, but it only scans for axes movements, it still relies on the SimConnect interface for button presses. My guess is the controllers are disabled in FSX. If you are using FSUIPC4 for these inputs, still enable them in FSX, just remove all assignments.

Stephen

Let us know how you get on Piper, we are on holiday right now but do have Internet access most of the time, well for some of the time at least.

Andreas ... I got mine working without using any third party driver. The loaded default driver did call it a PLAYSTATION(3) Conteroller though which I had to correct in Regedit. I have an up to date Win7 64-bit op sys. I think I calibrated the sticks, if I did at all, in FSX before removing all button and axes assignments. I can't be certain about calibrating it though.

Stephen

Just an update on my end...I've purchased a wireless game controller and found a suitable windows driver that allows it to function perfectly in Windows and LCC.  Thankfully I can now uninstall the software I was running to make the PS3 controller work for me.

BTW, I thought you guys were on holiday...how come you spend so much time responding to user requests for help during this time :)?

Andreas

Hi Andreas

Good news about your wireless driver. We are on holiday in Spain but try and answer queries when we have a spare moment and a good Internet connection. At least we are doing it in the warmth and sunshine.

Stephen :-)

No luck with my PS3 controller. Don't understand how folks at Opus got it to work but my system simply does not recognize the controller.

Enjoy your holidays in Spain!

I've purchased a wireless game controller and found a suitable windows driver that allows it to function perfectly in Windows and LCC

Andreas can give more details on the controller your using please?

John Pipilas

I have an almost up to date Win7 64-bit op sys an plugged a new PS3 DualShock3 wired controller in and my Windows loaded a driver but named the unit a PLAYSTATION(3) Contoroller (misspelt). The controller has worked perfectly ever since so I renamed the device in Regedit.

The software just interfaces to DirectX and acquires the controller you specify to scale and read its XYZ and Rx,Ry, and Rz axes. This covers about all, if not all, controllers on the market.

I know Sony originally did not provide Windows drivers because there were third party offerings. I just thought the latest DualShock3 must have been recognised by a generic Windows driver. Can't offer much help on other devices as its not really under our control.

Stephen :-)

John

Is yours a DualShock3 ? If not then you may need to download a third party driver.

Stephen

Is yours a DualShock3 ? If not then you may need to download a third party driver.

No it is not Dualshock3. Do you have any suggestions where I can download third party driver? Sorry I feel like I'm interrupting your holidays Stephen!

John Pipilas

I purchased a Logitech F710 and funny enough it came with no drivers but some profiler software, etc.  I was shocked to find this as I couldn't use it, again, in LCC or calibrate from Windows.  A little search led me to some Xbox 360 drivers for Windows 7, 64 bit, and voila, all is good now (the F710 looks like a cross between a XBox controller and a PS3 controller).

My advice would be to search for a XBox 360 windows drivers and see if that does that trick for you.

Andreas

No problem about the holiday, just glad to help if I can. You may have to try different drivers or the one mentioned above. I have no experience of this because I purchased a DualShock3 which loaded straight away. A bit of experimenting and Googling may be called for. Sorry I couldn't be of any more help here, I will try Googling for Sony PS3 drivers today but of course I can't really vouch or try anything.

Stephen

Do let us know how you get on John.

Stephen