•  

Where Flight Simulation Enthusiasts Gather from Around the World!

HOT SPOTS:
 rarrow.gif The 2014 Demographic Survey! - NEW!

rarrow.gif What's new in the Library

rarrow.gif Member Blogs

rarrow.gif Member Reviews - Contribute a Review!
rarrow.gif Bargain Hunters Forum
rarrow.gif Classified, Want, Swap Ads

rarrow.gif AVSIM Team Speak System

rarrow.gif Video Library
rarrow.gif Image Gallery
rarrow.gif Community Links Library
rarrow.gif Tutorials

rarrow.gif FS9. FSX & P3D CTD Guide

rarrow.gif FSX / P3D Configuration Guide

rarrow.gif AVSIM Publications 

Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight and simulation communities. Please help us keep it that way. Donate what you can today! Thank you for your support!

. . .
Photo

Windows 8.1 RTM: Does it run FS2004 v9.1 and/or FSX SP2?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 L1011_pilot

L1011_pilot

• Members
  • 91 posts
  • Joined 4 Years, 4 Months and 24 Days Ago.

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:59 PM

Greetings,

I have been paying a lot of attention to the new Windows 8.1 release and its compatibility with FS2004 and FSX. Needless, to say that I was disappointed to discover in FS-Oriented forum posts that Windows 8.1 was incompatible with Microsoft Flight Simulator X (No word for FS2004 running in Windows 8.1). I will eventually update my PC OS to Windows 8.1 (64-bit) from Windows 7 and at least to me FS compatibility is paramount when it comes to a Windows installation given that I have been with the FS franchise for about 17+ years with it. I am aware that compatibility issues in Windows Developer Previews are quite common and I decided to give it some time before writing this post...

Given that Microsoft released the Windows 8.1 (64-bit) RTM build, I was wondering if compatibility issues with FSX have been resolved in the latest release or if they still remain? Also, is there any compatibility news for FS2004?

I am not sure how this is possible but Microsoft insists that FSX and FS2004 are compatible with Windows 8.1 according to the Windows Compatibility Center.

FSX:

http://www.microsoft...sid=Windows 8.1

FS2004 (Don't know why the post includes a FSX picture cover art) (this one seems to be official):

Another FS2004 with the correct image in the compatibility center:

NewForumSignature.jpg

Visit Us at www.virtualeastern.com

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

#2 L1011_pilot

L1011_pilot

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • 91 posts
  • Joined 4 Years, 4 Months and 24 Days Ago.

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:36 AM

Shameless bump  ^_^ .

Does anyone know how the Windows 8.1 RTM is working with FS2004 and FSX? are they compatible?

Thanks for your time and assistance!

NewForumSignature.jpg

Visit Us at www.virtualeastern.com

#3 SteveW

SteveW

Developer

• Commercial Member
  • 1,632 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 7 Months and 3 Days Ago.

Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:53 PM

I've not got 8.1 but I have them both installed and work great on 8.0. There's nothing in 8.1 to make any difference to them as far as I'm aware.
Steve Waite: Engineer writing IdealFlight at codelegend.com

#4 Burnspot

Burnspot

• Members
  • 219 posts
  • Joined 5 Years, 4 Months and 10 Days Ago.

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:55 AM

Guess we'll find out today since 8.1's been released. I have zero problems now with 8.0 and hopefully, 8.1 continues that trend....though I'll wait a few days and see what others find before taking that chance. ;)

Scott

#5 greggerm

greggerm

Member - 2,000+

• Members
  • 2,404 posts
  • Joined 12 Years, 5 Months and 20 Days Ago.

Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:52 AM

Does anyone know how the Windows 8.1 RTM is working with FS2004 and FSX? are they compatible?

I've been running 8.1 x64 (RTM) along with FSX for some time now and have had no issues with the exception of an FSUIPC crash which has been fixed by Pete Dowson (Link to new FSUIPC version).

I performed a full, clean installation of 8.1 (not an upgrade/update), and it's been rock solid from day one. No FSX (*or X-Plane) issues, smooth performance - better than a clean install of Windows 7 in fact, no joystick issues, no problems.

I don't run FS2004 anymore, but FSX is just fine under Windows 8.1 x64.

#6 stevekr

stevekr

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 1 Year and 30 Days Ago.

Posted 28 November 2013 - 09:41 AM

I've had problems running FSX in DX9 mode causing a ctd after you hit the Fly now button. If I check DX10 Preview FSX loads ok but I get corrupted scenery on flights, I'm using Just Flight VFR Collection England and Wales. My system is i7 2600k (non o/c) 16 gig ram 1600mz xmp1 profile and ATI 7950 graphics card. It was working fine on Windows 8. I'm still working on a fix.

Steve.