Sign in to follow this  
yorgosGK

PLEASE HELP ME! Cant get rid of tearing and spikes from ground!

I have tried everything.......every possible tweak of FXG.cfg.....GPU settings...DX10 and no DX10......Default FSX.cfg..DX10 Fixes....Driver updates/downgrades......I gave GEX, REX, UTX, ASE2012. Ive also done the shader mod. Nothing fixes my tearing issue. Also i have done bios stuff like enabling HT on and off.....ive done 1000 affinity mask tweaks also...

Any ideas?

More pics here: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/422063-spikes-and-noise-flickering-everywhere-help/?hl=yorgosgk#entry2809354

My rig:

i7 3930k 3.2ghz (OC'd at 4.3) HT enabled

ATI Radeon 7900

16gbs of ram

Win 7 Home Premium

CC Center 13.4

x6dq.png

George Kyriazis | www.georgekonline.com

ELB729.png

A number of things can indirectly cause that to happen, but they are all directly caused by your GPU becomming maxed out.

Often, the cause is people using the [PoolSize=0] tweak, when they do not have a powerful enought Graphics Card.

I can see from the screenshot that you have 3 GB of Video RAM, but size is not everything, if the rest of the GPU specs are bottlenecking the card's performance.

First test would be to remove ('//') the Buffer Pools tweak from your CFG and go back into FSX and see if it is still happening.

Which specific model of the ATI 7900 do you have ('7900' is the range number, but you will have a specific model, eg 7950, 7970, etc).

Generally speaking, what you have there usually means your visual settings are too high and your GPU is failing to render properly.

A number of things can indirectly cause that to happen, but they are all directly caused by your GPU becomming maxed out.

Often, the cause is people using the [PoolSize=0] tweak, when they do not have a powerful enought Graphics Card.

I can see from the screenshot that you have 3 GB of Video RAM, but size is not everything, if the rest of the GPU specs are bottlenecking the card's performance.

First test would be to remove ('//') the Buffer Pools tweak from your CFG and go back into FSX and see if it is still happening.

Which specific model of the ATI 7900 do you have ('7900' is the range number, but you will have a specific model, eg 7950, 7970, etc).

Generally speaking, what you have there usually means your visual settings are too high and your GPU is failing to render properly.

its the 7970..thanks for your help.....any ideas? ive tried any possible of buffertools and still.....

ELB729.png

A 3GB 7970 should be able to handle FSX with Bufferpools off.    I run with GTX 770 myself which only has 2gigs of memory but that still let's me run with Bufferpools off.   Of course I also have my MaxTextureLoad and other settings tweaked out too.   FSX is such a beast to get perfect and one man's fix can be another man's problem.

What Q_Flyer said is 100% truth though.   Whatever the deal is, your video card can't keep up so it's lagging and making tears.    I know this might seem like it wouldn't be the issue but what are your Anti-Aliasing settings at?   I found once I got my AA tweaked out properly my card was no longer struggling to maintain the image and the GPU load dropped quite a bit.

Use monitoring software for your video card to see what the load is on the GPU.   If it is showing consistently 100% on the graph then it's over taxed.   MCI Afterburner should be able to tell you this for your Radeon card.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

This is caused by setting your graphics settings too high. Start with a fresh fsx.cfg with only HIGHMEMFIX=1 enabled. Then try the sim. If you still have spikes, try turning down autogen density and scenery complecity a notch. Only when you have a perfectly running sim with a clean fsx.cfg you can start to add tweaks, but please, understand what parameters you are changing with the tweaks. It will save yourself a whole lot of trouble.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

I agree, 3 GB should be fine.

I run PoolSize=0 with a ATI 7850 2GB.   It could sometimes be things like;  your PSU being underpowered for the video card, or that the power socket isn't quite plugged in properly.    Or else heat can restrain the performance of a GPU, so maybe try unplugging it out of the PC case and vacuuming, before carefully plugging it back it.  Also check that the fan is spinning ok.

Not much to go on I know, but it's a strange one!      What's the power output of your PSU ?

It could be that the only approach is to set everything to minimum (including AA/AF), and use a fresh CFG, and then introduce increased settings and tweaks one at a time, 'til you can see where the problem arises.

Does this mean that the CPU is pushing more than the GPU can take?

10700k / Gigabyte 3060

I went through this same frustration before deciding to stick with DX9. I would always get this same thing after about 10 minutes or so. My system just doesn't seem to like the DX10 thang.

Btw, my video card is an HIS(ATI/AMD) IceQ HD 7850 2 GB.

Perhaps if you get help and get it figured out here yotgosGK I might try DX10 again. It seemed like a lost cause, for me.

I agree with simmerhead - get the sim running without ANY tweaks and then proceed. Start with fresh cfg and adjust settings as necessary - then tweak.

Pure and simple - you are overloading the GPU.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Does this mean that the CPU is pushing more than the GPU can take?

Yes, that's exactly it.

PoolSize=0 removes any pool within FSX, so the task get's dumped straight to the GPU.  Of course this can be a revolutionary good thing, if you have a powerful enough GPU;  it's counteract's FSX's CPU-bound nature, and results in better performance.    But where the GPU cannot meet the demands put on it (for whatever reason), the result is artifacts like the OP has here.

This is caused by setting your graphics settings too high. Start with a fresh fsx.cfg with only HIGHMEMFIX=1 enabled. Then try the sim. If you still have spikes, try turning down autogen density and scenery complecity a notch. Only when you have a perfectly running sim with a clean fsx.cfg you can start to add tweaks, but please, understand what parameters you are changing with the tweaks. It will save yourself a whole lot of trouble.

It can in fact be too high of settings but I'd like to toot my own horn and say to Yorgo that he and I have the exactly same processor and his video card is no slouch.   I have every slider maxed out running DX10 with the DX10 Scenery Fixer handling things and I had no tears, no stutters, beautiful cloud builds with 100 mile draw distances turned on and I have AI traffic running around 35%.   Unless Radeon cards are super inferior to GeForce, there should be no reason with his rig that he can't have close to the same setup going on.

Check your heat as stated.   A cool PC is a happy PC.    I am curious to see your PSU rating as well.   I run my rig with 1000watts of Gold Certified juice.    If you want Yorgo, since we have similiar systems I can share my FSX.CFG file with you.   You may have to tweak it a bit and see how that does for you.

One of things saving my bacon is Nvidia Inspector.  I don't know what the equivalent is for ATI cards.  But through the inspector I have all my AA settings going through there and it took a huge load off my GPU with all those clouds I have in the sky.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

Unless Radeon cards are super inferior to GeForce, there should be no reason with his rig that he can't have close to the same setup going on.

It is a sad known fact that FSX doesn't play as well with Radeon cards as with NVidia cards. Some tweaks will have to be done differently as a result, and there is sadly no NVidia Inspector equivalent for Radeon cards. Radeon has openly said they don't care to make their cards and drivers compatible with the outdated FSX/ESP rendering engine.

It can in fact be too high of settings but I'd like to toot my own horn and say to Yorgo that he and I have the exactly same processor and his video card is no slouch.   I have every slider maxed out running DX10 with the DX10 Scenery Fixer handling things and I had no tears, no stutters, beautiful cloud builds with 100 mile draw distances turned on and I have AI traffic running around 35%.   Unless Radeon cards are super inferior to GeForce, there should be no reason with his rig that he can't have close to the same setup going on.

Check your heat as stated.   A cool PC is a happy PC.    I am curious to see your PSU rating as well.   I run my rig with 1000watts of Gold Certified juice.    If you want Yorgo, since we have similiar systems I can share my FSX.CFG file with you.   You may have to tweak it a bit and see how that does for you.

One of things saving my bacon is Nvidia Inspector.  I don't know what the equivalent is for ATI cards.  But through the inspector I have all my AA settings going through there and it took a huge load off my GPU with all those clouds I have in the sky.

Thanks a lot Kuragiman. But this was doing this tearing with a completely default FSX.cfg as well :( Its the wieredest thing.....a few minutes into my flight and it just goes crazy....spikes EVERYWHERE, tearing, noise....Is there anyway my graphics card is just broken? I mean while this tearing is happening im not even getting a missed frame......its "running" normal...Regardless i have tried everything, why not just try your fsx.cfg! Please email me at george.k@optikast.com Thank you very much for helping me out.

It is a sad known fact that FSX doesn't play as well with Radeon cards as with NVidia cards. Some tweaks will have to be done differently as a result, and there is sadly no NVidia Inspector equivalent for Radeon cards. Radeon has openly said they don't care to make their cards and drivers compatible with the outdated FSX/ESP rendering engine.

The Radeon equivalent is RadeonPro...it runs me perfect like an NVidia inspector but no setting I can stop this tearing from happening :(

ELB729.png

How does it perform with other games? Have you tried a 3D benchmark program like 3DMark? You need to identify if this is an FSX problem only, or if you have other problems. If it is FSX only, try changing the driver version.

I have the excact same issue after starting using DX10(with Steves DX 10 Fixer). Its not every flight, and sometimes I only see some minor fickering and the rest is fine, but other times it goes completly mental and I see inverted water, vertical ground I can fly straigth trough and pure black/white noice just like your screens in your first link.  I've yet to revert to DX9, but I guess thats my next step. I also have a 7970 3gb, and my Bufferpools is set to off, texture bandwith is set to 1024 and LOD is default 4.5.

Any solution to this would be highly appreciated as the DX10 has brought my simmingexperience to a new high!

Edit: My CPU is OC'ed to 4.63ghz and I see you have an overclock going as well. Have you tried setting your clock lower by any chance? I know OC can cause anomalys but since all other games and the computer as a whole works perfect, I have a hard time believing this could be it, but you never know:-S

My GPU load rarely passes 40%, so I don't think my GPU is overstressed by any means...I did put an OC to the GPU as well, so I might try turning that down a notch when I'm off from work.

Edit2: I also see you're using Mogwaisoft Shade. I bought this and installed it along side with Steve's DX10 Fixer. Could that be the culprit? Or at least part of it? 

Sort of glad I'm not the only one one with this problem:-)

Edited by Bionor

Ryzen 9 5900X || Gigabyte RTX 4090 Windforce 24G || G.Skill TridentZ 32GB@3600CL16 || Asus ROG Strix Gaming-E X570
XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB M.2 NVMe || Corsair iCUE H115i PRO XT || Phanteks Eclipse P500A D-RGB || Phanteks Revolt Pro 1000W
Gigabyte 43'' FV43U 4k@144hz || X55 Rhino || G27 || Oculus Quest 2 || Turtle Beach Velocity One