Sign in to follow this  
simpilot1

Wind Data Import with T7 FMC

Hello everybody,

If tries the first time wind data upload with the T7 FMC.

I create the FP with PFPX Export as .rte and .pln.

Start AS2012, load the .pln and copy the aloft wind data as decriebed.

Create the .wx file with Notepad and stored it on the dicriebed place.

Load the route into FMC everything fine. Than go to legs

page --> Route data --> LSK 6 --> request. Than "Invalid entry" comes up as message. 

Does Anybody has an idea what can be wrong?

Thank you

Regards

Andreas Hövel

Hi Andreas,

Make sure notepad is not saving the file as .wx.txt , you need it to save as .wx, you might might need to set all files rather than text files when saving the type in notepad. This happened to me as well. A couple of other similar threads on the forum. Good luck

Ceri

You're positive of that? You need to set the windows option "Hide extensions for known filetypes" to off to even see the correct extension on the file.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Hi Ryan,

I looked to the properties of the file and i unhide the extensions in the windows

options.

Everything fine.

Best

Andreas

Read carefully what the nice guy will write in the description and you will find out

that the .wx file will not have the 01 or whatever addition in the filename. 

And everyting will work fine.

Thank you all.

Best

Andreas

If you are using PFPX you are lucky. The latest version 1.9 (I guess) does support wx export. Just select PMDG weather export and you are good to go. Tested yesterday with the T7 and it worked liked a charme. No need to hassle with copying txt or wx files...

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

If you are using PFPX you are lucky. The latest version 1.9 (I guess) does support wx export. Just select PMDG weather export and you are good to go. Tested yesterday with the T7 and it worked liked a charme. No need to hassle with copying txt or wx files...

I didn't knew this but if you have PFPX, then this the absolute and definitive solution. Anyway if you want to do it in the "old" way:

1-) Do all you're doing until open Notepad (import .pln into AS2012 and so...)

2-) Then, open Notepad and paste the wind info you've copied from AS2012 winds page.

3-) From the "Edit" or "File" dropdown menu, select "Save As..."

4-) Very important step: In the bottom of the window, you'll have two boxes, one for the file name and other for file type. In the file type, select "All files" from the drop down menu.

5-) Back to the first box, give a name to the file and make sure you add ".wx" as extension. e.g: KDFWEGLL01.wx

6-) Navigate to the right folder and place it there.

7-) You should be good to go.

8-) Remember to type the exact name (did you save before) in the CDU when you recall the winds page

Hope it helps

Ivan Lewis

PMDG B737NGX, B777 and B747v3 QOTS II

8-) Remember to type the exact name (did you save before) in the CDU when you recall the winds page

Don't have to type the name unless it's something other than what you're flying.

Half the reason they ask you to use ICAOICAO.wx is so that the system can automatically pick up on it.  Just hit REQUEST.

As long as the ICAOs match up with the ones on RTE 1, you're good to go.

Kyle Rodgers

Since I installed SP3 Beta for AS2012 the winds aloft are imported into the FMC automactically. No copy/paste, notepad, wx files, etc. Run AS2012, import the flightplan with .pln extension into AS2012 and clich the process button. Later when setting up the FMC and after the route has been entered and executed click on Route Data, then click Request and execute. That's it. If later during the flight you add a STAR which has waypoints at cruise altitude, the winds aloft for those waypoints will be imported from AS2012 automactically.

Michael Cubine

Is there a manual way to import winds if you don't have Active Sky or PFPX but you do have that data in text form? I'm using Simbrief which produces tables of wind speed and direction at each waypoint for a variety of altitudes. Entering it by hand is a monumental pain. I can't find any reference to this in the PMDG manuals. I saw Ivan's post above, but don't know what format the AS winds are in nor what folder the .wx file should be placed in.

Edit, I managed to find the reference to this and the text file it refers to in the manual. Not looking that easy to achieve, but a text editor with macros might do the job.

Ryan, the import format should be easy to use, based on what the FMC needs, not based on one suppliers weather export format. The format is not straightforward. Also why make it rigidly use ten defined altitudes only? The altitude data from the weather engine may not match those levels. The FMC allows you to enter any altitude's data IIRC. If the data you have is not from a weather engine then you are stuck. The data I get from simbrief has only four altitudes for any given flight plan.  To use that, not only do I need to convert it to AS format I need to extrapolate and interpolate the wind data to match their altitudes. Then your software has to convert that to match the actual cruise flight levels. It's actually easier for me to hand enter the winds in the FMC CDU than do all that conversion each time to enable automatic import.  Please make it more user friendly.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Half the reason they ask you to use ICAOICAO.wx is so that the system can automatically pick up on it. Just hit REQUEST.

As long as the ICAOs match up with the ones on RTE 1, you're good to go.

Mmmm...then this confirm that perhaps I have a little issue with that feature. As long as I know, there's no need to type the whole name of the .wx file, but every time I click on REQUEST, I got the hated "Invalid entry" message. I think that I'm doing everything correct, but simply doesn't works. The only way for me is typing the full name

Ivan Lewis

I love, I love, repeat....I REALLY LOVE PFPX + PMDG 777. Tested and voilà!! Copy and paste winds from AS2012 into .wx file is old fashioned. Exporting as .wx file from PFPX is THE feature now. And Kyle...now I'm able to just click on "WIND DATA REQUEST" in the CDU (without type any file name) and good to go. How-Cool-Is-That!  B)

Happy flight, captains

Ivan Lewis

.I REALLY LOVE PFPX + PMDG 777
yup. works like that since the latest update. indeed VERY convenient..

only thing on my wishlist now (though in the direction of PFPX): if I could define my preferred export settings I would use FSX, PMDG and PFPX altogether. So far I do each one in a row, a 1-click export would be cool.

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

Very nice, but it would be good if you didn't have to buy an expensive add-on to make use of this feature.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Very nice, but it would be good if you didn't have to buy an expensive add-on to make use of this feature.

I assume you are talking about PFPX. If you are using AS2012 you can use the feature. See my post #9 in this thread.

Michael Cubine