Sign in to follow this  
yorgosGK

Serious issue with ATI and Steves DX10 fix? Tears and Spikes everywhere

Hello Avsim! I have spent the last....oh idk 234 straight hours of my life trying to resolve my tearing and spike issue with FSX (DX10).

First off...Clearly one can tell that Steves DX10 fix is a really good fix and I would recommend it to anyone because I'm sure this isn't happening to all of you happy users.

Lets begin....

One day I started to get tears and spikes while in DX10.....After a un believable amount of troubleshooting and testing I decided the only way to stop my tearing and spike issue in FSX was reinstalling it all over again (yes, with all my addons and hardware button mapping, FSUIPC, cam settings, weather settings etc...). My thought was to install one addon at a time until these badboys came out to play again. Of course I was hoping they wouldn't....but, they did.

Take a few minutes to hear my story because this bug may be breading like a mouse for ATI users.

First off my hardware and software:

(Alienware Aurora R4)

i7 3930k 3.2ghz (OC'd at 4.4) HT enabled

ATI Radeon 7970 3gb

16gbs of ram 

Win 7 Home Premium

ATI 13.4 driver

RadeonPro

My FSX.CGF changes (after trying 10000 options):

Highmemfix=1

WideViewAspect=True

ForceWindowedVsynce=1

TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=40

My addons:

UTX

GEX

REX

ASE2012

Genises mesh

Magoisoft Shade

EZdock Cam

Folks, I have done everything. bios settings, bios upgrades/downgrades, GPU driver update/downgrade, OC settings, Cooling settings. Literally every possible option of tweaks in the FSX.cfg (including making a default one). CCC upgrade and downgrade, addon re-installs, CCC settings, RadeonPro settings, AA setings, MSI afterburn options, graphics options in FSX, traffic options, textures from GEX and ASE 2012 and to be honest, SO MUCH MORE that I won't waist your time with my list, just know it's not pretty.

I finally said thats enough and I reinstalled EVERY...single...thing.

So as I'm "revers engineering" my situation I keep in mind what I'm installing and testing FSX after every single install. Finally I come to Steves DX10 fix. I register it, run the installer and....(drum roll please) Tearing and spikes are back faster then a speeding bullet. So now that I see what's causing these at least I have a little better idea of what I should be doing....But I mean NOTHING......nothing at all has stopped these from showing.....a few minutes into every flight I get these spikes and tears especially on final. Funny thing is there is absolutely NO FPS DECREASE while these are happening...they just flicker and go crazy everywhere on my screen. Also my card isn't even being used a lot....or heating up along with my CPU.

My Radeon Pro settings are from this guid right here. I have done a numerous amount of FSX.CFG tweaks including bufferpools 1&0 reject thresholds and these are still here.

Isn't this beautiful?

xs63.png

yx8f.jpg

re7m.png

I am willing to try just about anything to get these to leave. My sim is better than ever right now if it just wasn't for this bug.....Im getting a steady 30fps with the ATI DX10 guid up-top however, all this great sim experience is washed away with these spikes and tears. 

Any ideas gentlemen?

George Kyriazis | www.georgekonline.com

ELB729.png

ATI cards are not the best for FSX, that is said everywhere. Nvidia is teh only way for FSX.

I am probably not the right person to respond since I do NOT have the expertise or high powered system you have.  I DO have an ATI Radeon card  7700 series. I had a small amount of these once and all I did was lower my priority setting by one notch. I can not run at Realtime and normally use Above Normal. I am using Steve's DX10 Scenery Fixer and I always fly in DX10 mode.

Bob "roadwarrior" Werab

Config: ASUS Prime Motherboard, RYZEN 5, 32 GB Ram, Radeon RX5700 XT, 2 TB SSD

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "DX-10 Discussions, Hints and Help". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

ATI cards are not the best for FSX, that is said everywhere. Nvidia is teh only way for FSX.

Really? My 660ti sucked in FSX. Could not take heavy weather at big airports. My 7970 rocks FSX in DX9. The problem discussed here is DX10 mode is not playing nice.

If he moves to nvidia to fix DX10 here he'll need a GTX680. Which is fine too. Great card.

To the OP I went back to DX9. Experimenting still in DX10 and hope to find a fix.

C.

Could be a specific driver version problem. Update to latest, if already on latest, rollback with hope previous version will fix it.

Could be a specific driver version problem. Update to latest, if already on latest, rollback with hope previous version will fix it.

I hope so....im on the way home to test different versions again....going to 13.1 and then 13.9.....hard to find a good rolledback official driver these days! Lol

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk now Free

ELB729.png

I had a small amount of these once and all I did was lower my priority setting by one notch.

Well, I need to withdraw my earlier statement. Even with the priority changes I made I am getting the artifacts as well. ATI card with the DX10 Scenery Fixer. I updated my driver but I am still getting them. My driver for the 7700 is 13.152.0.0, dated 8/30/2013.

I hope someone finds an answer or Steve get's us ATI users an update.

Bob "roadwarrior" Werab

Config: ASUS Prime Motherboard, RYZEN 5, 32 GB Ram, Radeon RX5700 XT, 2 TB SSD

Well, I need to withdraw my earlier statement. Even with the priority changes I made I am getting the artifacts as well. ATI card with the DX10 Scenery Fixer. I updated my driver but I am still getting them. My driver for the 7700 is 13.152.0.0, dated 8/30/2013.

I hope someone finds an answer or Steve get's us ATI users an update.

You should have knocked on wood :P ....I am sorry to hear that Road Worrior but welcome to the club!

I am going to install my original GPU drivers with my cards instal disc tonight when im home in about an hour. Lets keep in touch and share our tweaks and troubleshooting ideas. I hope Steve fixes this! 

Crossing fingers!

ELB729.png

Yep, reverting to DX9(using the DX10 Fixer) makes FSX work fine again, so this definitetly is a DX10 issue...Just done 4 flights in DX9 with no issue, tried DX10 and the graphics went ballistic again:-( 

Lets hope Steve finds the reason. 

Using 7970@1150 with 13.4 drivers...

Ryzen 9 5900X || Gigabyte RTX 4090 Windforce 24G || G.Skill TridentZ 32GB@3600CL16 || Asus ROG Strix Gaming-E X570
XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB M.2 NVMe || Corsair iCUE H115i PRO XT || Phanteks Eclipse P500A D-RGB || Phanteks Revolt Pro 1000W
Gigabyte 43'' FV43U 4k@144hz || X55 Rhino || G27 || Oculus Quest 2 || Turtle Beach Velocity One

Exactly my hardware and version....im rolling back all the way to 13.1 in about half hr...ill keep u posted

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk now Free

ELB729.png

Ok, thnx, I'll be away hiking and fishing this weekend(2 hours from now:-)), no cellphone coverage or even electricity where I'm going, so no way to keep myself updated. Wish you the best of luck and crossing my fingers for a solution when I return on sunday:-)

Ryzen 9 5900X || Gigabyte RTX 4090 Windforce 24G || G.Skill TridentZ 32GB@3600CL16 || Asus ROG Strix Gaming-E X570
XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB M.2 NVMe || Corsair iCUE H115i PRO XT || Phanteks Eclipse P500A D-RGB || Phanteks Revolt Pro 1000W
Gigabyte 43'' FV43U 4k@144hz || X55 Rhino || G27 || Oculus Quest 2 || Turtle Beach Velocity One

Yorgus, its hard to tell from your description what you did or how many times your tried to repeat it to rule out simple coincidence.

All the symptoms your report appear to be related to vertex buffer corruption between the FSX DX10 engine and the GPU. I.e the GPU is using either a corrupted vertex buffer or one that is being updated.

DX10SceneryFixer lacks any access to the graphics device from within FSX and on the GPU its only involvement is inside shaders which are tightly controlled and receive individual vertexes as inputs. Therefore it seems very unlikely to have anything to do with your issue.

The first thing to do would be to eliminate other factors that might effects the stability of your system such as OCs. Then make sure that you have disabled or removed any addons that are actually involved in the graphics APIs.

Go to this thread and make sure that you have no bits of EMB, FXAA or SweetFx installed.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/422730-i-need-help-fsx-doesnt-start-in-dx10/#entry2816540

Then do a number if flights in DX10 Preview mode and assess the stability of the system.

Then install DX10Secenery Fixer and install the libraries but do not enable reflections or effects. Before running FSX deselect all 5 shaders (which means that there are no DX10SF modifications to shaders running on the GPU).

Carry out some flights to assess stability. If problems occur at this stage, the power the system off leave for a few minutes and power on and try the test again to rule out temperature, or effects involving the time the GPU has been running.

Then enable the shaders one at a time (so only one is enabled) and repeat the tests.

Then turn on all the shaders and test.

Then report back.