Sign in to follow this  
autopilot

Very Basic: What's difference between Standard Instrument Departure and Obstacle Departures?

Hello, Guys!

What's difference between Standard Instrument Departure and Obstacle Departures? I've read many many Google topics and resources but still unable to understand clearly. Now I've not needed any external resource, I've needed the expert's answer here in this forum.

I'll be grateful to him who teach me in easy words.

Also, in which departure procedure, it comes? See image? Means which is this departure procedure showed in picture?

qqqqqqqqqq.png

http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/media/FAA-H-8083-15B.pdf

Section 10-5, but also search the PDF Table of Contents for "Departure".

Hope this helps.

Dave

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

One needs to understand why there are SID or OD.

A SID is designed to separate aircraft on departure (helps ATC to separate traffic) and a OD are designed to avoid obstacles on the departure (helps pilots avoid hitting something on departure). Sometimes these are combined.

Obstacle Departure: An airport that has an instrument approach will be evaluated to see if there are any obstacles that would interfere with a plane climbing at 200' per/NM. If there is an obstacle that penetrates this 200' per/NM climb the FAA will develop a obstacles departure procedure for this airport. Airports with an instrument approach but no OD imply that an aircraft can be assured to climb at 200' per/NM - or 3.3% climb gradient.

Standard Instrument Departure are developed to assist ATC in separating aircraft. There may be speed and altitude restraints. Now there are new SID with "climb via SID's". (This is similar to some STAR's)

Greg Purinton