Sign in to follow this  
Skywolf

Rain fix for Triple Screen - DX9 Only

Hey,

I am wondering is there a triple screen fix for Rain in FSX DX9 Mode only.  I do see in the forums, that there is a fix in DX10.  But at the moment, I have to run FSX in DX9 (took me forever to get it right, not jumping to DX10 at the moment...)

I just need to change the crappy rain cylinder to fill the entire screen.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Skywolf

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

What is wrong with the rain, exactly?

Hey,

The rain in spot view makes a weird effect around the plane only, and on 2 side monitors, it doesn't display.  It just looks bad and very ugly on triple screen system.  I would like to know which exact file disables the rain effects or helps me change the rain radius around the aircraft.  I want to be able to this in DX9, as I do not own DX10 Scenery fixer.

Got any ideas?

Thanks

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

Hi

maybe this:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/64680-fsx-vc-rain-problem-fix/

is what you are looking for.

Hey,

Thanks, but that is not exactly what I am looking for.  I am trying to find the file which controls the rain.  I would like to disable rain animation only even when my OpusFSX is downloading real time rainy weather.  That way I can see the clouds only.

Question is which file is it?

Thanks,

Well,

Looks like I found a possible solution for it.  This will be last tweak for FSX (this fix definitely applies to triple monitor user like me, and it may apply to P3D 1.4 also)

Solution:

Once I remove Rain.fx from ShadersHLSL\FixedFunction directory.  This is in your MS FSX directory (please do remember to make a backup of it), and you have to rebuild the shaders -- this step is important.

Rebuild Shader Tips

1) Delete the Shader and Shader10 directory in Username/Appdata/Local/Microsoft/FSX (Do make an original backup for the current compiled shaders)

2) Edit fsx.cfg - insert SHADER_CACHE_VERSION=X (where X is a number - always increment when rebuilding shaders) under [Graphics] subsection.

With this mod, I do get all the clouds, wet runways and everything else except for rain/snow animation.

Just gonna enjoy what I have for now, as P3D v2 is near - and will move to it on the very first day of release.

For now enjoy this tweak.

What is wrong with the rain, exactly?

The rain effect in FSX is horrible.  I real life, you cannot see the rain at all when you are moving, yet FSX shows the rain as these long silver streaks,  I've been wanting to remove the effect too.

I wish one of these shader experts could figure out a way to slow down the snow effects.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I have been looking for a solution to this for a while - nice one, thanks Skywolf

Darren Morris