Sign in to follow this  
jewel77

Instrument panels shimmering with ATI.

Any tips to reduce this annoying and eye-tiring issue for us ATI users? 

I followed the "how-to" doc with RadeonPro without any serious improvement. 

Airbus Extended is my favorite bird these days so i refer most to this particular aircraft.

SweetFx also make the situation worse even if i checked SMAA off.

UPDATE: Yesterday i was determined to fix this issue. So i play with tweaks in SweetFx because as i noticed when i switch it off letters were more clear. The result was to make letters almost clear as DX9! :yahoo:

Any tips to reduce this annoying and eye-tiring issue for us ATI users?

I followed the "how-to" doc with RadeonPro without any serious improvement.

Airbus Extended is my favorite bird these days so i refer most to this particular aircraft.

SweetFx also make the situation worse even if i checked SMAA off.

not sure which model of graphics card you have as I'm reading this from my phone. But I think you may have missed a step. With DirectX 10 if you enable super sample in the ATI CCC Control Panel or with radeonpro and you have the DirectX 10 fixer set to 4x AA, it should be crystal clear in the cockpit and almost no shimmering whatsoever.

C.

UPDATE: Yesterday i was determined to fix this issue. So i play with tweaks in SweetFx because as i noticed when i switch it off letters were more clear. The result was to make letters almost clear as DX9! :yahoo:

whoops I did not see that you're using sweetfx. are you saying that now that you disable sweet FX it's looking sharp now cuz I also found running sweetfx I did not like the result at all. but to be completely fair I did not try a lot of things.

C.

Interesting.. how does one apply SGSS with an amd card?

Nvidia needs SGSS applied in order to get rid of the shimmering. Can't without it.

Interesting.. how does one apply SGSS with an amd card?

Nvidia needs SGSS applied in order to get rid of the shimmering. Can't without it.

SGSS is NVidia for sure. It's MSAA (Multisample) combined with (SSAA) SuperSample for transparent textures like Gauges and exterior paints line edges. 2xSGSS = 4xMSAA+2xSSAA

So with ATI... Not SGSS but SSAA like so -> Same order as the screenshots...

Option 1: through Radeon Pro

Option 2: through CCC

3rd shot is only 4xSSAA.

4th shot is only 8xSSAA. <--- (8xAA+4xSGSS) but expect the same performance in clouds.

5Qmaz.jpg

SThPO.jpg

gekap.jpgN4JRe.jpg

whoops I did not see that you're using sweetfx. are you saying that now that you disable sweet FX it's looking sharp now cuz I also found running sweetfx I did not like the result at all. but to be completely fair I did not try a lot of things.

The problem was that letters and numbers had erased edges.

Yes with SweetFX turn off, digital instrument panels are clear almost like DX9.

But i managed to have the same image with SweetFx turn on.

How?

In SweetFX i enabled SMAA and at SMAA settings i put 0 (zero) to all parameters.

Shimmering is still there but letters are more clear now.

Cvearl analog instruments are OK. The problem is with digital instruments. I hope Steve could use some magic in the future for this. 

The problem was that letters and numbers had erased edges.

Yes with SweetFX turn off, digital instrument panels are clear almost like DX9.

But i managed to have the same image with SweetFx turn on.

How?

In SweetFX i enabled SMAA and at SMAA settings i put 0 (zero) to all parameters.

Shimmering is still there but letters are more clear now.

Your willing to live with Shimmering just to have Sweetfx?

Not this cowboy. I mean. Are you saying you blur the writing with Sweetfx?

C.

Cvearl analog instruments are OK. The problem is with digital instruments. I hope Steve could use some magic in the future for this. 

4xSSAA in DX9 is perfect for the GPS/FMS/MFD's

4xSSAA in DX10 is nearly perfect for them as well. Almost no shimmering. 95% shimmer free.

8xSSAA in DX10 is 100% perfect for them. But then overcast clouds become a problem with framerates.

No SweetFX needed.

Have you tried Enabling supersample in ATI CCC or Radeon Pro with AA set in Steve's tool?

Just an FYI...In the driver for ATI (through CCC or RadeonPro) if you use adaptive AA or Morphological AA, you get horrid shimmer. I hope that's not what you have set. Also. If it is set in CCC and not in RadeonPro, it will be set still. If using RadeonPro (have to for vsync) you must have CCC set to DEFAULT in the 3D Applications page.

Charles.

Your willing to live with Shimmering just to have Sweetfx?

Not this cowboy. I mean. Are you saying you blur the writing with Sweetfx?

C.

4xSSAA in DX9 is perfect for the GPS/FMS/MFD's

4xSSAA in DX10 is nearly perfect for them as well. Almost no shimmering. 95% shimmer free.

8xSSAA in DX10 is 100% perfect for them. But then overcast clouds become a problem with framerates.

No SweetFX needed.

Have you tried Enabling supersample in ATI CCC or Radeon Pro with AA set in Steve's tool?

Just an FYI...In the driver for ATI (through CCC or RadeonPro) if you use adaptive AA or Morphological AA, you get horrid shimmer. I hope that's not what you have set. Also. If it is set in CCC and not in RadeonPro, it will be set still. If using RadeonPro (have to for vsync) you must have CCC set to DEFAULT in the 3D Applications page.

Charles.

Maybe you don't understand and that's my fault cause i'm not english. 

Shimmering is everywhere in DX10 with or without SweetFx. My settings are as you mentioned and shimmering become to an acceptable to me level. I think image is not posssible to get any better than this. I have not RadeonPro because i don't see visual improvement or better frames.

SweetFx cause letters and numbers to look like erased at their edges and with shimmering this was too difficult for my eyes. So i managed to solve this within SweetFx settings. That's all.

Maybe you don't understand and that's my fault cause i'm not english. 

Shimmering is everywhere in DX10 with or without SweetFx. My settings are as you mentioned and shimmering become to an acceptable to me level. I think image is not posssible to get any better than this. I have not RadeonPro because i don't see visual improvement or better frames.

SweetFx cause letters and numbers to look like erased at their edges and with shimmering this was too difficult for my eyes. So i managed to solve this within SweetFx settings. That's all.

I understand completely. I am a graphics ###### from way back and as a previous nVidia 660Ti owner, I understand the use (and effect) of SGSS 100%. 

I also understand how all the AA modes work and the overall effect they have on edge based shimmer as you fly. Especially bitmap GPS screens and the lines and fonts.

So...

I can only conclude that you were simply unseccuessful at getting it to work. But as long as you are happy with whatever you have going now, that is all that matters but I assure you. I have 95% shimmer free razor sharp as you see in my screenshots. I use TrackIR and when I pan my virew and fly past 3d objects or approach them from far away, I have nearly perfect shimmer free geometry.

Charles.