Sign in to follow this  
twharrell

Mindstar GNS 430/530 release this Friday

Those aren't Reality-XP's features... they're Garmin's.  The RXP gauge doesn't do anything except 'scrub' the Garmin trainer's display and show it in FS.  It's like comparing apples and oranges.  We built our GNS units from the ground up.

No we don't provide any form of 30-day return policy.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Guest JetFueler

What are the chances we might see NaviGraph and/or NDP support down the road?  I don't doubt that RealNav is a great product but where I have an issue is having multiple subscriptions for various products.  I realize that it is purely optional but it would be nice to have the option to use one of the other AIRAC providers since many people subscribe to one or the other to use on multiple other add ons.  I'd be willing to sacrifice the slightly more complete database to be able to update with the rest of my other add ons that use updates from Navigraph or NDP since I've likely already made that purchase.

I must say, this is an interesting product you are bringing out and I will certainly be considering it.  I like the built in crossfill feature and the less secretive methods behind the gauges' operation.  I think RXP was always so secretive because the functions that they used to manipulate the gauge were likely tied into the proprietary bit that enabled the link between the Garmin trainer and the FSX display.  While there are a few hang ups with me like the lack of any sort of terrain data which I find useful for VFR support in remote or confusing areas, the trade offs like future support and expansion help outweigh those things.

But, changing navaids using this "( this site )" makes the MSFS's moving map INOP.

As I recall, the map will still work, you just need to be careful about not displaying one or two things.  Airways for one, if I remember correctly which makes sense if you think about the changes that have occurred.  Of course, flight planning from within FSX is completely broken then, but honestly:  anyone who's worried about current chart data isn't (or shouldn't be) doing flight planning from within FSX.  The tool never worked that well from the get-go.

I updated for the first time years ago and have never looked back.  But again, this changes NOTHING on airport.  For on field NDBs, VORs and localizers, you have to modify the airport itself.

Scott

I updated for the first time years ago and have never looked back. But again, this changes NOTHING on airport. For on field NDBs, VORs and localizers, you have to modify the airport itself.

Yep, you nailed it.  In the current NAV data shows the ILS 17R as 110.95.  FSX shows it as 110.3.  Is the only way to update that to get a new AFCAD for the airport?  I've run into this a few times now.  I've also seen a fair number of marker beacons in FSX that don't show as being there on the approach plates. 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Anyone who's interested to know, the Orbx regions that have custom airports throughout (PNW, PFJ, NRM, CRM, SAK, NZNI, NZSI, ENG, WLS, SCO, NIR, NZSI and NZNI) have their Nav data updated to all correct freqs at time of product launch, including runway number changes.

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

What are the chances we might see NaviGraph and/or NDP support down the road?

Navigraph's database simply doesn't have enough information contained within it to support the functionality in our GNS units.  Since NavDataPro simply mimics what Navigraph provides, it carries the same issue.

There is so much ARINC data missing from Navigraph, and I'm not simply talking about procedures and approaches, it would be nigh impossible to accurately simulate a GNS based on those data sets.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Is the only way to update that to get a new AFCAD for the airport?

It's the only way I know of.  As Philip points out, most custom scenery that features airports is updated to whatever was current at the time of their release (and one of the unsung advantages to Orbx regions is the fact that every airport in the region gets a facelift) - but even here I've noted a few problems in things like incorrect frequencies or missing approaches right from the start.  There's a lot of airports out there, and stuff changes.

Scott

The GNS units can be placed in the VC but the gauge alignment is off enough that the knobs don't work. The VC gauge dimension are just different enough to prevent correct alignment, but I'm trying to reach the MilViz folks for a solution.

That would be me, Todd. I am planning to add support for Mindstar's GNS units in the VC of both the C310R and the B55 E/B models...

...just as soon as I have them myself. ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

That would be me, Todd. I am planning to add support for Mindstar's GNS units in the VC of both the C310R and the B55 E/B models...

...just as soon as I have them myself. ;)

That is great news! MilViz is the first developer I know (along with Eaglesoft) who has really embraced the Mindstar units (beginning with the G1000). Not to mention you guys make solid, quality addons.

Todd

Both Todd and Ed have kindly explained why RealNav and not Navigraph in this thread and the explanation is a good one.  Take another look at their postings.

Your last paragraph has also been well-addressed.  Note that RXP don't offer integration tools that work with modern 3D panels either, the panel integration requires developer support.  If the product is good and gains some traction, I'm sure developers will buy in.  Note Fr. Bill's comments above on the Milviz 310 and B55, for example.  New developers trying to do RXP integration have apparently been frustrated of late, as there's no active support at RXP for them to turn to for integration guidance.  It sounds like Mindstar will be our best hope to pick up where RXP has obviously left off.

Even as a long-time satisfied RXP customer, I'm inclined to give these guys a chance especially if Milviz updates their GA planes to help get the ball rolling, as it's our best hope for a GA GPS in P3D, and that's a critical element for me in moving in that direction.

Scott

I sure hope Carenado, Alabeo, RealAir, Aerosoft, and others also jump in here and add mods (apps) so we can integrate MindStar GNS's to their Panels.
(After all them/us/we are in the same boat == P3D

Cheers.

It's Friday! Where's the order button?  :lol:

Enrique Vaamonde

Working out some last minute details... like decent instructions, and perhaps an instructional video, on how to install the GNS units into an aircraft for one.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Great! Thanks Ed.

Enrique Vaamonde

Will this be available on the Mindstar website or somewhere else?

I don't see any mention of it on the Mindstar website.