Sign in to follow this  
adi518

Suggestion NOT to use SweetFX with DX10 !

With all the stir with DX10 lately, I decided to try it again and these are my new findings:

I discovered today, regardless of Steve's fix, that SFX only DEGRADES your AA and doesn't cope well with DX10.

When setting up 4X MSAA in FSX (or through the fixer) + 4X SGSS through NI you will get the smoothest, and most perfect jaggies-less picture! If you add SFX on top, it will override those AA modes and will cause you jaggies and the picture will slow a tiny bit (taking back from DX10's advantage IMO). Now, you think sure it's probably fixable by turning Off SFX's SMAA, but it's not. If you turn off SMAA, the scene will become dark and not usable (a bug in SFX dx10 dll).

To add to that, dx10 makes things more vibrant (neglecting the need for using SFX's contrast boosting). Also, I think that scenery makers (orbx in particular) and recent aircraft devs determine their color palette without considering any filters, but they do consider FSX's tendency to slightly "kill" the colors. Hence, it's pointless to increase contrast. With DX10, all you need to add is bloom. My suggestion then is either use FSX's built-in bloom or utilize ENB for solely for it's bloom feature.

Last, but not least, using FSX's bloom you may have to make sure your sun textures are dx10 compatible as if they aren't, you won't get the sun to show up properly.

Pure dx10:

10201237893_72577de3c9_o.jpg

Awesome stuff!  I fully agree.  If you have SweetFX or ENB installed and are having issues (including crashes) with the DX10 Fixer, get rid of SweetFX and ENB and Go Fly!

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

They don't crash if a system is well setup and the user knows what he's doing. However, with DX10 those filter dlls start to act up a bit, not crash, but give you a degraded look rather than improved, which is what you seek in using them. It also makes sense because still many games utilizing SFX are DX9 rather than DX11 (heir of dx10). I'm guessing in the near future, SFX DX11 libraries will significantly improve.

My only grime as of now is I can't get a good looking sun without bloom or a filter that slightly enhances it. I might as well go with the idea I mentioned above and that is utilizing ENB solely for it's bloom. We'll see what's what soon. :)

:LMAO:

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

What's up?  :Whistle:

I posted the sweetfx 1.5 thread in this forum not just for dx10 ya know... it's still useful for those running in dx9.

Just be glad I came with these findings and saved your fsx from degradation when it just got better, a'right? :P

Sweet FX has worked for me so well.. I love it. 

The only thing it does not do well is if I move a 2D gauge like reality xp G530 over to another monitor. the FPS drops to 3 or 4.

But guess what? Between using a GPS on its own 7" monitor vs Sweet FX in DX10  enhancement... I have take then SweetFX and scarified my GPS G30 running in its own monitor. 

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

If you're using DX10, hit scroll lock and observe the differences carefully.

I also had an issue with crashing that I thought was related to DX-10 and SweetFX but was actually caused by a WIndows Update (KB2670838). Removing that update made my system quite stable. I can't imagine not using both DX-10 Preview and SweetFX, FSX looks just plain dull without them.

Matter of preference, but the thing is, SFX ruins your AA. Observe carefully and you will notice. Best way to see the jaggies is when you're on a runway. Also if you turn up sharpening, you will definitely notice it.

I bet any person who has fsx crash on him (dx related crasp) it's because of that stupid KB.

"Ruins your AA" is purely objective, Adi. Not all is black or white: your setup is not my setup, and what suits you doesn't necessarily suit me, or maybe anyone else!. For every one post here there are a thousand out there who have a different experience - and like it!. There are also thousands of different combinations of hardware and software and more thousands of configurations of SFX.  

If I'm flying low and slow around the PNW - I will most often have SFX running, along with EZCA, FSGRW and TrackIR. If I'm running IFR - low or nil visibility - then no SFX or EZCA. If I'm flying the MD80 KLAX - KPHX - again, no SFX or EZCA. 

All the Best,

pj

• Upvote 1

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

I'm talking pure technical issue here. If one faves contrast over AA quality then sure, go ahead and use SFX. Also this post is assuming 4X MSAA via FSX and 4X SGSS via NI. Also assuming you're using an nvidia card. Under these circumstances, SMAA will break the AA resulted from using the combo ^^. Not only it does that, it also lessens very slightly the smoothness of the sim. I thoroughly experimented with this yesterday and today and my results were consistent.

The point of thread is primarily to warn about the AA breaking issue. The same AA few threads beneath this one tutor on how to achieve so it's a contradiction.

There is a solution and that a variant of SweetFx made ​​by forum user called Boulotaur2024, with this application you can use or not like the smaa.

Not know how it works with Steve program that I have not yet but you just have to try, within the folder has the original setting that I am using right now. I hope they serve. one greetings to all.

Existe una solucion y este una variante del SweetFx hecha por el usuario del foro llamado Boulotaur2024, con esta aplicacion similar puedes utilizar o no el smaa.

Desconozco como trabaja con el programa de Steve por que aun no lo tengo pero solo hay que probar, dentro de la carpeta tiene el setting original y el que estoy utilizando yo en estos momentos. espero les sirva. un saludos para todos. 

Interesting, I will test it out and report back.

As i wrote to another thread you must enable SMAA in SFX and set all SMAA parameters to 0 (zero) and you'll notice that the image will become clear like when SFX is off. :wink:

Also disable Lumasharpen.

• Upvote 1