Sign in to follow this  
Bjoern

How to run different FSX configurations

I don't know if this has ever been covered (Google and a forum search told me otherwise though), so in the worst case take it as a reminder or flame me for posting already known stuff.

Anyway, did you know the you can easily run FSX in multiple configurations?

All it takes is copying the FSX.exe and naming the copy, I don't know, FSX_Airliner.exe or so. FSX will then generate a fresh fsx_airliner.cfg in the configuration folder. Tweak fsx_airliner.cfg for flying airliners (no autogen, LOD_RADIUS=200000000000, no loaded helicopters or whatever). Finally, just create a short cut to FSX_Airliner.exe and that's it.

You can do this for every scenario imaginable, like for easily switching between DX9 and DX10 or airline and GA flying or full fidelity and barebones for development or benchmarking or...

(The scenery.cfg stays unaffected though.)

(I, for myself, welcome my new "configuration possibility" overlord.)

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

Thats interesting. I once wrote a batch file to activate different fsx.cfg files. I never knew it did that. I wonder if that works for p3d also.

Thanks for posting that.

Bob

Isn't easier just to save and load the different .cfgs through FSX itself instead of doing all this renaming and shortcut business?

Isn't easier just to save and load the different .cfgs through FSX itself instead of doing all this renaming and shortcut business?

The renamed .exe and generated, appropriately named .cfg is a permanent solution. No more file swapping before launching FSX.

- Edit:

Forgot the "copy fsx.exe" part in the instructions. Heh.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

Hey Jim,

I think the OP has the right idea. I was doing what you just mentioned. Athough it was pretty easy, it did require and update to x number of cfg's for an entry which was global to all  cfg files being used. I think there is a launcher somewhere I saw that does the same thing. Oh well, with v2 of p3d coming I don't think I will be doing much swapping around (fingers crossed).

Bob

Pretty amazing really that all this time after the FSX release, people are still finding new ways of doing things.

Long live FSX!

Love live the folk that keep experimenting!

I think there is a launcher somewhere I saw that does the same thing.

That would be FSX Go by Orbx, which is quite good.

I will be utilizing this find immediately.    I need different configs for different airports.   Some airports my rig can handle with no problem but some Payware airports destroy the universe if I have certain things turned on in the CFG file.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

FSX GO is also the software I use. You can use it for cumulative adjustment or to start the adjustment from a base fsx.cfg file if you prefer. you can also select a saved flight to create your launch scenario.

Pierre

P3D when its freezing in Quebec....well, that's most of the time...
C-GDXL based at CYQB for real flying when its warming up...

I wouldn't be without Orbx FSX Go, it's brill!

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

+1 to FSX GO!

Brilliant, powerful, easy

(however I have many Ideas to enhance it, but seems there's no further development. But that does not mean there are bugs!)

As example what you could do with FSX GO:

Having one basic FSX configuration, you can make different FSX GO sets and place them as Links onto your desktop. You can then start one with AI Traffic on, or the other without. Or one as IFR setup and the other link starts VFR

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will be utilizing this find immediately.    I need different configs for different airports.   Some airports my rig can handle with no problem but some Payware airports destroy the universe if I have certain things turned on in the CFG file.

What do you do if you fly from Hell airport to Heaven airport?

Thats It -- Orbx "Go'. I can't remember anything anymore it seems although I have been diagnosed with CRS disease.  It's not pretty.

Bob

An alternative is simply to set up multiple shortcuts with the cfg command line switch so you can specify the name of a cfg file to use.  But the benefit of using OP's method is that you can also use this to have a custom fsuipc.ini file for each configuration.  I have done this in the past when I wanted the option of either using stick for "quick and dirty" testing or using my full yoke/throttles/pedals setup.

Even if you don't use fsuipc4, multiple cfg files can be useful for controller assignments.  You can create multiple controls files from standard.cfg (do both the one in fsx folder and the one in the fsx.cfg userdata folder) and point the vairous fsxnnn.cfg files to them.

scott s.

I have a different method that allows me to run multiple fsx installs at the same time - I copy the various config directories back into the FSX folder, and then place symlinks where those directories used to be.  I then copy the full FSX install a few times, giving each it's own unique folder name, and presto - currently I have three separate functioning FSX installs, one optimized for photoscenery, one for FTXG, and one being a purely vanilla backup that I can compare stuff in or copy fresh from if I care to.

Complex, but it works a treat for me. B)

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.