Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

My modified (attached) Terrain.cfg entries to give you Vector Lighting on all urban and rural roads, and bridges....

Here is my modified TERRAIN.CFG entries for the UT section of roads, Urban and Rural, as well as Bridges.  

I suggest that you have my file open in one window, and your TERRAIN.cfg file open in another.  Copy and paste to each section the VECTOR data line as I have, and boy..let me tell ya...your night world will LIGHT RIGHT UP......all major, and minor Urban and Rural.  I have left dirt roads (rural) alone as they usually in the real world, do not have overhead street lighting.

I would like to thank everyone in the other thread for discovering, adding to...and making ORBX Vector Lighting, now happen upon UTX roadways.  The file that was attached by a contributor to his post (and THANK YOU FOR THAT!), had a few entries lacking on some rural roads, and/or (I found) had a few that should have been single pole, rather than four-lane highway, for minor Urban and Rural.  I corrected that (well...for my tastes, of course) to light those roads up, and with either single or double-lined Vector lights as you would see in the real world.

The effect near KFNT was simply stunning!  The GOOD NEWS (at least on my spec'ed system...) was that I did not see an FPS hit as the night is now lit up as truly, the real world.

Again...THANK YOU SO MUCH, for those that scratched their heads...and delved into this.  ORBX  obviously KNEW that they could have lit up all UTX roads...but again, for whatever legal or self-interest, tendrils, did not auto-create this for when you first installed FSXG.

Please remember, to have both windows open as you copy and paste your way to a fully realized UTX-Road 'turning on the light switch...'

Fan-Flippin-Tastic...... :)

I just hope that nobody sends me the municipal bills for the power usage....LOL!  

If you decide to try my entries....please do...and enjoy the end result. 

Hi Mitch,

Thanks for sharing the file, I am sure the community will benefit from this.

I have passed your file onto Allen Kriesman (the UTX developer) to see if he wants to patch UTX for his customers. It's not Orbx's place to edit terrain.cfg entries added from other developer's addons, that would be not kosher at all.

The other issue with Orbx making mods to terrain.cfg entries for UTX is that it will cause problems when you run the UTX config tool, since it may potentially get out of sync and re-write their older entries back. The proper way this needs to be implemented is to add another tick-box into the UTX config tool app called something like "Use FTX Global vector road lights".

I assume you would not mind that your file be used as the basis for them to patch UTX?

Cheers,

John Venema

Orbx_Logo_Avatar.png

Hi Mitch,

Thanks for sharing the file, I am sure the community will benefit from this.

I have passed your file onto Allen Kriesman (the UTX developer) to see if he wants to patch UTX for his customers. It's not Orbx's place to edit terrain.cfg entries added from other developer's addons, that would be not kosher at all.

The other issue with Orbx making mods to terrain.cfg entries for UTX is that it will cause problems when you run the UTX config tool, since it may potentially get out of sync and re-write their older entries back. The proper way this needs to be implemented is to add another tick-box into the UTX config tool app called something like "Use FTX Global vector road lights".

I assume you would not mind that your file be used as the basis for them to patch UTX?

Hi John, and most certainly not, let them have at it! 

Cheers!

Mitch

John, is there a way to perhaps limit, or user space out the Vector Lights on any roadway.  For instance, It would be great for my own needs, if I could add an 'x' distance between each orb.  Is that possible?

Thanks, and oh, BTW, does the working Vector Lights on the UTX roads really look good on the islands in the Caribbean!

I think this is great stuff.  I benefited by adding some additional vector autogen entries to textures that I had missed.

ONE WARNING ABOUT USING YOUR ATTACHED FILE:

Depending on software that you have installed on your machine, the "Texture." numbers may differ on your system, as was the case with me.  I carefully went thru your entries and looked at the "Name=" lines to determine which textures I should change.

I think this is great stuff.  I benefited by adding some additional vector autogen entries to textures that I had missed.

ONE WARNING ABOUT USING YOUR ATTACHED FILE:

Depending on software that you have installed on your machine, the "Texture." numbers may differ on your system, as was the case with me.  I carefully went thru your entries and looked at the "Name=" lines to determine which textures I should change.

Yes...you need to not just go by the numbers, but actually to match up the block titles as each one varies from system to system...., ...that's why I specifically advised that two windows be open side by side, and that you match up what you are working on in the one (action: copy), and then the other window (action: paste)...and move to the next.  :)  Glad it worked out for you.  The first time I had FSX running from dusk to night...., after my edits...my mouth dropped open (smile).  I really liked how some country roads accented a curve around the shore of a lake or river...most beautiful, and realistic. I also again, advise everyone, after creating your edits, and then of course, saving your file...that you right away, copy that file to a folder, and name the folder: Modified Vector Lights Terrain.cfg.  That way, if ever, something overwrites that section...you only have to copy the modified Terrain.cfg file (from you desktop folder) back into the main FSX folder..and viola...you are back up and running with UTX Roads lit up by FSXG.  It's that simple, and fool proof!

BTW, PDX....if you have UTX that covers the Caribbean, fly around a few of the islands starting the flight at Dusk...transition to full night.  You'll love how the Carib is now transformed. One step closer to virtual reality....  

I haven't done  the mods yet. Possible to  see some screenshots.    I'm working on changing my FTX vector lights to a morealistic mercury vapor orange color, as opposed to the yellow stuff.

Think I  have figured which fx files to edit colors to achieve the appropriate look; just not anytime right now.

Thanks for some screenies, time permitting.

Best,

David

I haven't done  the mods yet. Possible to  see some screenshots.    I'm working on changing my FTX vector lights to a morealistic mercury vapor orange color, as opposed to the yellow stuff.

Think I  have figured which fx files to edit colors to achieve the appropriate look; just not anytime right now.

Thanks for some screenies, time permitting.

Best,

David

Hey David, I'll 'trade' your file for the orange tint, for mine, lol!  Seriously though, I would also like to change up the yellow, for a more realistic real-world darker orange. Let us know if you succeed. I do wonder why though, did Orbx create a yellow, when even at street level, the spectrum to the human eye is exactly that...a warm orange.  As for screen shots, I'll let others handle that...but let me tell ya....your dusk, full night, and dawn comes alive. Also great for night VFR flying, if you wish to keep an interstate or particular UTX road in view....

BTW, if you are poking around in the closet....see where you can edit spacing of those lights. I might personally prefer every other 'light post'...rather than how it presently is.  Again, it would have been great, if Orbx could have created a set-up mask for night lighting (color pref) and orb spacing along the road way. Perhaps if John reads this...he might consider releasing something for his FSXG customers to that effect. It certainly would enhance the ability to further personalize the user installation. They do this for static scenery at their airports.....not color of lighting, or spacing, but as to what you want displayed, etc.

Hello Guys.    This is Allen Kriesman from Scenery Solutions.    I just wanted to let you know that we are currently working on a new, automated tool to allow UTX and ORBX/FTX users to add the ORBX Lights to the UTX roads.   I don't have a release date for this.  But, it should not take too long (maybe week or two more ?).

John was kind enough to point me to this thread a couple of weeks ago.    

I don't normally read public forums.   So, the best way to get in touch with me or get news on the new tool will be in the UTX support forum.   I will put the link to the forum below.    When the tool is released, I will try and release the information in this forum also.

http://www.simforums.com/forums/support-for-all-the-ultimate-series-of-terrain-products_forum19.html

Thanks everyone !

Hello Guys.    This is Allen Kriesman from Scenery Solutions.    I just wanted to let you know that we are currently working on a new, automated tool to allow UTX and ORBX/FTX users to add the ORBX Lights to the UTX roads.   I don't have a release date for this.  But, it should not take too long (maybe week or two more ?).

I don't normally read public forums.   So, the best way to get in touch with me or get news on the new tool will be in the UTX support forum.   I will put the link to the forum below.    When the tool is released, I will try and release the information in this forum also.

http://www.simforums.com/forums/support-for-all-the-ultimate-series-of-terrain-products_forum19.html

Thanks everyone !

Thanks, will look for your update post!

Thanks everyone !

I also want to thank You Mr. Allen Kriesman

Cheers.

Thanks everyone !

Will it be free?

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)