Sign in to follow this  
Baires

Communication Issues with default ATC at FS-X

Hi Everybody!

I have an open question - because I couldn't find a related post in the forum.

For instance, when flying the PMDG 737NGX - I can easily communicate with the ATC through the regular ATC menu (pressing 1, 2, 3, etc... accordingly)

But, recently, in the PMDG 777LR/777F - the ATC menu comes, but when I want to select to communicate with it via 1, 2, 3 - nothing happens and I don't listen to any ATC communication - ever.

It calls me the attention that when sitting at the gate, during pre-flight, a funny sound appears, kind of a microphone and speaker making funny noises. Can this be related? 

Could it be that something has gone wrong in my 777?

Thank you and Happy Landings!

Rafael 

Buenos Aires, Argentina

Even before opening this topic, I knew what your question would be... Why? Because this is one those little things, written down in the introduction manual.

Really, it's an awesome read! The guys over at PMDG have spent quite some time piecing it (and the tutorial) together, with good reason.

You have to turn it on. Along with the mic.

Exactly what/where? I'm not totally sure. I'm also at work. But I'm sure it's in the first couple pages of the intro manual.

MIC/Call (Black button - press it so the MIC announciation lights up)

L VHF (White button/Arrow, press it so the yellow light turns on)

b777_radio_audio.jpg

Any time the power to the aircraft is turned off, (ie when it's cold/dark) the Radio will loose power, and turn off. The buttons will need to be pressed again. This will obviously be the state when you start the aircraft, and again after shutdown if you didn't transfer to a power source cleanly at engine shutdown. It shouldn't happen in the air unless you turn both engines off airborne, though if you do, the transition to flying on RAT power may disconnect it (Haven't tried).

Thank you everybody for your concern and replies!

In the end, I took a look at the PMDG SETUP (via the FMC or Operations Center) and change the "Communication Failures" to "NEVER" (Page 9). 

Even though, thank you for the MIC data - (I read the manual and couldn't figure it out)

Warm regards and happy landings!

Rafael