Sign in to follow this  
theskyisthelimit

Windows 8.1 update/upgrade FSX

Anyone else ran the Windows 8.1 upgrade as of yet?

I had Windows 8 x64 and FSX working fairly well, except for some FTX related module crashes.. 

Now i'm getting errors loading certain addons, like FSFlyingSchool 2013.. getting an automation error when I hit connect.. possibly fsuipc or simconnect related.. i reinstalled fsuipc and uninstalled simconnect.. then tried to run the simconnect installer.. it starts to load and disappears..

This is just one example so far.

I believe these issues were expected though.. Windows 8.1 is not a true update in that sense.. as it does an inplace upgrade.. renaming windows to windows.old and trying "its best" to migrate settings and dll's.. but i think in the case of FSX it may end up forcing at least a reinstall of the base FSX package.. at least thats my guess so far..

Just curious if anyone else has tested these waters yet.

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

SweetFX no longer works in DX10 with Win 8.1...

Update/Upgrade went fine so far without further issues

The only thing was, I had to delete a "Dxgi.dll" to eneable my DX10 checkbox:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/423937-help-after-win-81-installation-no-dx10-checkbox/

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No issues with 8.1 dx10 available from the start, all addons work

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Tapatalk

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q

Installed it last night. Fsx works, but still too early to tell about the add ons. I know it was a pain in the &@($* to use my passwords. Can anyone tell me how to get back on after a reboot without having to sign in to my own computer?

Installed it last night. Fsx works, but still too early to tell about the add ons. I know it was a pain in the &@($* to use my passwords. Can anyone tell me how to get back on after a reboot without having to sign in to my own computer?

You can right click the start button.. then "run"..

type netplwiz

click on the account you want to auto log into..

after this you can uncheck "users must enter a user name and password to use this computer"

I think my issues so far may just be limited to the automation error with fsflyingschool 

vatsim tray icon required an os level autoinstall of "directplay"

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "WIN8 OS Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

If you are installing Windows 8.1 update,and you don't want to sign in via the Microsoft account, click 'I'm not username@username.com, and it will let you logon via the old logon you used before.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

So here's yet another amusing thing: figured I'd at least run the Win 8 to Win 8.1 "Upgrade Assistant" that - supposedly - checks for program compatibilities. "This will take a few minutes."

Okay.... so I go do something else for awhile.

What do I come back to? A message that says yay! Everything's fine! Or, there may be issues with these programs and devices? Or a list of what was checked? Some information? Any information at ALL?!

All I see is a pretty purple box in the middle of my desktop saying, "you can't download the upgrade from here, but you can from the Store."

Pitiful. Just..... pitiful. No communication. Thanks for moving my hard drive heads for an hour.

Not winging it, Microsoft, nosiree, not when you can't even write a program that will give me some kind of assessment.

******* H. Christ on a Stick!

It works well with W8.1 and nvidia beta 331.40 with dx10 and with with latest fsuipc 492f even in 3D surround (I did not try with 331.58 as falcon BMS4.32 was not working with this whql driver: black screens),  My GC: 2 xSLI GTX670. I tried with Metal2Mesh F-15E, VRS TacPack and with Orbx Australia.

Actually had no problem with the upgrade; I take it all back. Felt like tech suicide for a bit, especially when it stopped to think for quite awhile at 78% (I consider this the MS "are you really as Zen as you think, Apple Lover?" Test), but I gritted my teeth, held back on the urge to hit restart, and everything worked out in the end.

They removed my favorite Lock Screen image from the default list, though. Evil!

At this point my upgrade has gone smooth.. got past that initial issue.. automation error with fsflightschool.. had to rename settings.ini to settings.bad and it worked..

Biggest issue i have is this one the whole losing the joysticks in fsx after alt tab or alt ent and back into fsx.. I did not have this issue with Windows 8, at least not that often.. i now have it constantly with 8.1..

I guess the only fix is to buy FSUIPC and register the controls (ch yoke and pedals) within the app.