Sign in to follow this  
sgilmore467

TileProxy not working at Grand Canyon

TileProxy works fine for me. But when I go to the Grand Canyon in Arizona, the only scenery I get is the default Microsoft scenery which is terrible. Tile Proxy works fine in Sedona, a beautiful site just south of Grand Canyon National Park. But head north and the default scenery takes over. A real mystery to me. Does anyone know what is going on?

But when I go to the Grand Canyon in Arizona, the only scenery I get is the default Microsoft scenery which is terrible.

I tried Service1 and Service3 over the Grand Canyon Village and they both worked fine for me - see pix attached.  Which Service are you using?  I like the LOD (18) with Service1, but not the colors...  I like the colors of the GC with Service3, but not the LOD (17 is the highest).... :)>

Maybe you could try clearing out the cache folders for the GC area (with TileProxy "Manage Service Caches") and restart your PC, and fly over GC again??

Good luck,

John

What is LOD and how do I clear cache for the Grand Canyon area?

LOD means  "level of detail".  You can clear the cache by using a program that was installed with TileProxy.  Just click on the lower-left "Start" button on your screen, then click Start -> All Programs -> TileProxy -> Manage Service Caches.  You need to tell me which Service cache you are using (Service1 or Service3) for me to help you.  I would recommend using Service1 only.  You may have seen your problem with Service3?? Also, please give me the actual latitude and longitude where you see the problem.  In FSX click on the menu item World -> Map... and give me the exact latitude/longitude and altitude and heading where you see the "problem".  Here is my Proxyuser.ini section for Service1.  You may use that:

[service Example 1]

cache_folder=E:\Microsoft Games\cache.service1

network_module=libnettile

module_config="conn=20|rate=2.0|verbose=0|server=http://a*.ortho.tiles.virtualearth.net|path=/tiles/a%s.jpeg?g=%v|quad=0123|balance=0123|useragent=Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)"

min_level=9

max_level=18

map_version=1919

level_mapping=9,10,11,12,14,16,17,17,18,18

color_hack=no

color_level=13

bulk_extend=50

You will have to change the cache_folder above to the folder you are using (probably on your C: drive...)

John

p.s. I flew over the area you describe above using Service1 and Service3 (as best I can understand it from your description) and had no problem that I could see??

John, here is the info you need.

I am using Service 1.

The canyon village is at.

Latitude N36degrees and 2.69 minutes

Longitude W 112 degrees and 7.25 minutes.

But there is a whole area starting from the Grand Canyon airport up to the rim that is just brown in color with generic scenery.

I found the program to erase the service cache. I zoomed on the area to erase. Do I have to fill in info on left, like No/size of tiles, etc?

I found the program to erase the service cache.

If you have Service Name set to Service1 and zoomed into SW USA selected, then just press the Erase Tiles button.  Here are two pix of the lat./long. you listed above - no brown areas?

Maybe you could post a photo of the problem area as you see it.  If you want to, you could try my Proxy User.ini attached as "ProxyUser.txt" (just rename to ProxyUser.ini after downloading).  Again, you will have to change the cache_folder to the folder you are using.

Good luck,

John

If you want to, you could try my Proxy User.ini attached as "ProxyUser.txt" (just rename to ProxyUser.ini after downloading). Again, you will have to change the cache_folder to the folder you are using.

Here is the attachment that I forgot... :>)

John

Ok, I want to attach a screen shot of what I am talking about. I know how to take the pic but how do I get the file under 4 megs so I can attach it?

never mind. I figured out how to attach the file. So here is an aerial veiw. Notice the large brown area that goes from the village all the way back to the airport. If you fly over that area, it is all generic FSX scenery. Notice the green lanscape that encirlcles the brown area. If you fly over any of that, it is photo realistic from TileProxy. By the way, I have tried your tileproxy.ini file and the same thing happens.

Another shot.

So here is an aerial veiw. Notice the large brown area that goes from the village all the way back to the airport.

Interesting... from your photo it looks like they had a forest fire between the airport and the GC!!  :>)  Or else, you might have some addon scenery which includes the GC area that is installed in an FSX scenery folder at a higher priority than the TileProxy "World" folders.  Otherwise, I'm stumped.

A quick check to see if this is the problem you can temporarily un-check all scenery at a priority higher than TileProxy (including the Addon Scenery).  You can do this by selecting menu item World -> Scenery Library... and un-checking the appropriate folders, including the Addon Scenery folder.  Refly over the GC and see if the problem is gone. Normally the only scenery above TileProxy should be the "Addon Scenery".

If the GC area scenery is in the Addon Scenery folder, it should be moved to a "Scenery" sub-folder and placed at a priority below the TileProxy "World" folders.  If this doesn't solve your problem, you can try un-installing and re-installing TileProxy or don't fly near the forest fire...

Good luck,

John

Interesting... from your photo it looks like they had a forest fire between the airport and the GC!!  :>)  Or else, you might have some addon scenery which includes the GC area that is installed in an FSX scenery folder at a higher priority than the TileProxy "World" folders.  Otherwise, I'm stumped.

A quick check to see if this is the problem you can temporarily un-check all scenery at a priority higher than TileProxy (including the Addon Scenery).  You can do this by selecting menu item World -> Scenery Library... and un-checking the appropriate folders, including the Addon Scenery folder.  Refly over the GC and see if the problem is gone. Normally the only scenery above TileProxy should be the "Addon Scenery".

If the GC area scenery is in the Addon Scenery folder, it should be moved to a "Scenery" sub-folder and placed at a priority below the TileProxy "World" folders.  If this doesn't solve your problem, you can try un-installing and re-installing TileProxy or don't fly near the forest fire...

Good luck,

John

John, Problem solved. Thanks for sticking with me. Add on scenery for the Grand Canyon was the culprit! I deleted it and everything is OK now. Thanks again.

By the way, what should be the top folder in the scenery folders? And are all the World folders generated from TileProxy or are they default FSX?

John, 2 more questions

1. Explain to me the level of priority significance in the add-on scenery. What is it and how does it work?

2, I notice that in addition to the add-on scenery folder, there is another "scenery" folder. What is the difference in these 2 scenery folders?

. Add on scenery for the Grand Canyon was the culprit! I deleted it and everything is OK now. Thanks again.

By the way, what should be the top folder in the scenery folders? And are all the World folders generated from TileProxy or are they default FSX?

Glad to hear you problem is solved.  Here is the order of the scenery folders as I understand them:

Addon Scenery (should be top priority folder)

World folders (TileProxy folders)

Other Scenery/Terrain Mesh Folders  (those you downloaded, such as GC scenery)

normal FSX folders

Default Scenery

Default Terrain

A useful utility I use to  sort and renumber the scenery.cfg layers is the FSTscenery.exe utility.  It can be download from here:

http://stevemg.net/f.../FSTscenery.zip

The readme.txt file will explain how to reorder the scenery.cfg layers.  I have used this utility for FSX scenery.cfg file reordering with no problems even though the website says tested only with FS 2002/2004.  You can find the Windows 7 FSX "scenery.cfg" file in the following folder:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX.

John, 2 more questions

1. Explain to me the level of priority significance in the add-on scenery. What is it and how does it work?

2, I notice that in addition to the add-on scenery folder, there is another "scenery" folder. What is the difference in these 2 scenery folders?

These questions were posted as I was replying to your last post.  I hope my post above answers your questions. 

The level of priority as I understand it works like this:

A higher level scenery will overlay a lower level of scenery.  Therefore, any scenery in the Addon Scenery folder will replace scenery generated by a lower level (such as TileProxy World scenery).  That is why your GC scenery was interfering with (or replacing) the TileProxy scenery in the area of the GC.

Scenery folders can be placed under the "Addon Scenery" folder or the "Scenery" folder.  They then must be put in the right priority order in the scenery.cfg file.  This can be done with the utility I mentioned above, or from within FSX by selecting the menu item World -> Scenery Library...  Either way, the scenery.cfg file is modified.

Good luck,

John

John, now I may have a bigger problem. I noticed that after I deleted the Grand Canyon add-on scenery, I now get error messages when I start up FSX. It says scenery.cfg file error invalid. Remote scenery path in scenery area 115 and 254.

I have tried to go on line to find an answer but nothing seems to work. I even tried to reinstall Grand Canyon but that did not help.

Sorry to keep bugging you. But if yo have any insight how to get rid of the error message, I would be grateful.