I have not seen a review on this yoke by anyone which may indicate its no good or to expensive maybe? I would buy if it had a good review done on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

http://fs2crew.com/banners/Banner_FS2Crew_MJC_Supporter.png

Wayne HART

.. GoFlight Yoke is definitely very ambitious project, & on the spot looks very impressive, however, since it's release to the market, we didn't see any objective professional review and compression to other similar product at this range of prices, whiche I assume is the reason for meany Simeers to stay Put.  

The Rudder Pedal, GF had a previous version of RP, I have seen it one time on e-bay, but it’s been discounted since 2007 or so   

Cheers

I have not seen a review on this yoke by anyone which may indicate its no good or to expensive maybe? I would buy if it had a good review done on it.

It's not inexpensive (aka CH Products price point) so I was also hoping someone would have reviewed it ... but the lack of reviews has left me wondering why.

I don't know if GoFlight monitor AVSIM, but what I'm looking for in a Yoke and/or Rudder Pedal system is internal quality ... specifically a weighted feel and high quality potentiometers with even higher quality Analog to Digital converters.  Meaning, I want to see a raw data calibration range that is very wide and very precise.  

As far as external buttons and switches, CH products quality buttons/hats/switches are good enough for me as is the quality of plastic.

What I tend to see in the higher end Yoke market is too much money being put into the physical Yoke ... some even use "real" yokes but then skimp on the most important part, the internals!  Which seems to me to be a backwards approach, especially given that high quality AD's and Potentiometers really don't add a huge amount to the cost ... cheap pots cost about $1 ... high quality ones cost about $6.  I honestly don't care about metal containers, metal handles especially when thick plastics will work just as well for less.  Obviously not every product works best with plastic, for example the Yoke rod and guide does need to be a high tolerance machine metal part, but the rest of the unit could be all plastic to reduce costs.

GoFlight have listed a "soon to be released" new Rudder Pedal system.  I'm interested, but if it's another $750 product in a metal case with "so so" internals, then it'll be a pass for me.

Sadly, I'm having a hard time finding a company that spends more money on their internals and less on their externals (I don't need a real Yoke from a cessna which cost $1000+).

I like my GoFlight modules but I'm disappointed with the TQ6 - the handles are too small, the arms feel cheap and move side to side (there really should be internal guides) and the pots are starting to get a little spikey.  In comparison my CH Product throttle quadrant actually felt better and performed better for 1/4th the cost of the GoFlight.

Perhaps my expectations are too high ... but if the Yoke isn't selling (lack of reviews) then perhaps they need to re-think their approach and market price point ... aim for quality internals and plastic externals.

Rob

We reviewed the go flight yoke in issue 88 I think (or 87) of PC pilot. Can't remember how we scored it though.

Of course not ;)  ... it was in issue 87.  There are other reviews but none of substance (aka more just advertisement from someone that got given one to try for a while).  I think Word Not Allowed tried to get more details and was unsuccessful.

Like when I got the GF Yoke, I was frankly very annoyed to find it has a thumbstick that works your PC's mouse of all things!

What a waste, who the heck has, needs or wants a damn mouse on the yoke, and a highly oversensitive one at that.. It's unusable to say the least.

If I did it again, I would go for the CPFlight one http://www.cpflight.com/sito/dettagli/mcp737pro.asp

I have used this one on a full size static 737 sim and the buttons and dials feel soo much better. ufly737 in west london have it..

Only Guy I've seen mention he owned one. Was hoping he would have down a mini-review and some pictures at different angles.

Would it be good for me to do a review of it then?

I certainly have some strong opinions about it so far, in the few months I have been using it, but the long and short of it is, I could NEVER EVER recommend anybody to buy one at its current price..

I havent tried any other expensive desktop yokes, so cant really compare it to any higher end ones.. I went from the Saitek pro flight yoke to this..

Have never written a review before on FS gear, but am happy to start a new thread called "GF-Pro Yoke review & questions" to give my feedback and answer any questions people have about it?

Yes please Richard. I've been considering buying it, but the price keeps putting me off. I have a Saitek yoke at the moment and it is truly dreadful; I was hoping the Goflight yoke would be good.

Questions I have:

Does it stick?

Does it centre well?

Does it move freely or does it have indents like the Saitek?

Stephen Munn

Hi Rob,

I bought a GF Pro Yoke about 3 months ago - not the most on-the-ball admin. experience from GoFlight.

I think the yoke is good and well made - it also seems quite solid.

However, for me, the downsides are:

1. On the right hand side of the yoke is a knob (rather like a hat switch) which moves the mouse curser around the screen. The idea being that you can move the curser to almost any switch in the cockpit and then press the knob to select a switch function without taking your hands off the yoke. From my point of view, it is a complete waste of time - I cannot slow the speed of mouse down sufficiently to place the curser over a switch so, therefore, I don't use it. I would much sooner have had a couple of assignable rocker switches on the right side (as on the left side of the yoke).

2. There are two trigger switches at the rear of the yoke (one on each side) but they are wired together (so one assignment only), I believe, and recommended for use as a PTT button. So, although there are two buttons, they can only be assigned to one function! Again, I would much sooner have had the two switches not wired together so that they could have been assigned to two separate functions.

3. I would have preferred more fore/aft pitch movement from the yoke.

4. I find the two screw clamps, provided for securing the yoke to a table, difficult to use because you cannot, in my view, obtain enough purchase on the little wheels.

Is it worth the money - I'm not sure. It certainly has a nice feel, in my opinion, and I am very happy about that particular aspect. However, the ONLY reason I selected the GF yoke over the PFC yoke was because it had a HAT SWITCH which I find absolutely essential. To date I'm sure the PFC yokes still don't have hat switches but if you don't need one, I think the PFC yoke could well be the answer.

Hope this helps just a little, at least.

Regards,

Geoff Ellis

It does, thanks Geoff. 

To clarify the GF Yoke has both a hat switch and a mouse controller?  The hat switch is important to me, I'm not a Track IR flyer.  The PFC may not be in my future unless there is an option to add a hat switch.

Cheers, Rob.

Regards,

Geoff Ellis

Hey Geoff

If you push your yoke all the way in, then slowly release it, does your "stick" or "Stutter" somewhat, as it ifs getting stuck when releasing it gently?

My feedback on this yoke so far...

The stuff I like:

G1. The clamping thumb wheels are indeed small, BUT, I like them, as it means there is nothing hanging underneath the yoke to smash my kneecaps on everytime I sit down, like the Saitek one, and nothing sticking out the front when pushing the yoke all the way forward... They clamp down really well and hold great, havent had to touch mine in the months since I installed it.

G2. The yoke box itself is smaller than the yoke handle, which I like, as its unobtrusive, and fits better on my R3volution wheel mounting plate. Its also a matte finish grey, so no dazzling reflections from the screens, although matte black would have been better. Paint finish seems VERY tough, as I use my yoke box as a tea cup holder too, and have yet to scratch it, despite hot mugs of tea going on/off the top of the box many times a day, not a single mark.

G3. Feels fairly light to use, in push/pull and turning it. Not a stiff yoke at all, returns to centre nicely.

G4. Doesnt even seem to need any drivers, just plug-n-calibrate and your good to go.

G5. Good solid yoke handle, heavyweight, perfect shape and grip feel.

The stuff I dont like:

B1. I absolutely hate the fact that the right side has a "mouse". What a total waste, and makes the right side of the yoke no use what so ever.. Whats more, the plate that is screwed down around this mouse stick doesnt match the profile/shape of the handle, so it protrudes around the edges, and its not something you want to catch your arm on too many times if you have a shelf beside your yoke, trust me.

B2. Wasted opportunity on the right side to add another button, same as the one on the left side, but could do something different.. Its the same as the left side, but without a button.

B3. The dual PTT switch, total waste.. Manually flying as pilot, when exactly will my hand be off the left side? Never, so why put a PTT on the right? Wasted. Should have made it a seperate button we could use for something useful, like TrackIR or views..

B4. Noisy springs inside. If I rock mine left/right, you can hear the springs inside extending/contracting or knocking, not sure what, but its definately sprung loaded. Am considering opening it up and coating it in copper-ease to shut it up.

B5. Bottom of the "checklist plate" is not flush with the yoke handle, beware kneecaps and sharp metal plates do not mix.

B6. Such a small amount of travel. It pushes inwards(away from you) by 40mm total and outwards (Towards you) by 30mm, giving a total maximum movement range of only 70mm.

B7. The hat switch on the left is too small, too smooth, and is concave instead of convex, so keeping your thumb on it is impossible without fairly firm pressure, you have to push it from the sides. To fix this I have super-glued a convex rubber circle to it, one of those little stick-feet you find on the bottom of a glass chopping board so that I can grip it with the thumb and not have to push it from each side.

B8. Feels like it doesnt have ball bearings on the coloumn as its quite rough to push/pull if you apply even the slightest bit of side pressure on it, or are using it with 1 hand.. Makes a scraping noise.. You can also see the build up of grease on the shaft after doing this, as if its scraping the edges on the way in just using it 1 handed.

My own conclusion:

Very dissapointed with the end result at this price level.. When your paying $750 for a yoke, you really do expect a LOT better, and some thought to have gone into it, but you cant help wonder "Have these guys ever tried to use their own yoke?" I know thats harsh, but really, the mouse on it is un-usable, completely useless.. Oh sure, they say you need to go into your control panel and slow your system mouse right down, but really, thats never going to happen, and anything I need with a mouse, I'm going to use the mouse for it, not a thumb stick..

I can only hope they come up with a way to swap out the mouse stick for something that would actually be useful, but I doubt it as its very likely to be wired into the yoke's main board.

Could I recommend this yoke to anybody... Nope. I could never say 100% "Get one its fantastic"

I truly wished I could... Really I do...

GoFlight themselves... I dont rate them too highly...

I asked them in an email "If I blow $2500+ on GF kit, is there anything you can do to help me out on the costs, like a "bulk buy saving or anything?"

Got told no, sorry. So I asked if they had any offers on at the moment, having already seen their facebook "like and get 5% off" that was on "their website", and again, got told no, we dont have any offers, and when I pointed out the 5% deal on their website, the girl said "Really, I'll have to check that"..

Seriously, your left hand doesnt know what your right hand is doing?

(Bare in mind I had been put through to the "Person who deals with all the orders here)

Eventually, she said yes, 5%, but boy did she sound unhappy about it..

Less than 1 week later, what do I see all over their facebook page? 30% off at OshKosh! Thanks a lot GF...

Anyway, I'm going to open this yoke up today and take some pictures, see whats going on inside and grease up the springs....

Thanks for that you have saved me and a lot of other people from wasting 750.00 ill get a yoke from elsewhere PFC is out as they don't have buttons on yokes, anyone recommend anything else apart from Saitek and CH?

http://fs2crew.com/banners/Banner_FS2Crew_MJC_Supporter.png

Wayne HART