Sign in to follow this  
stonelance

Flight Toolkit 0.7.0

New version of the Toolkit posted!

Released version 0.7.0 of the Flight Toolkit.  This has a small subset of changes that I plan to make over the next couple months to try to open up more types of add-on development.  Make sure to uninstall the old version before installing this or you may run into trouble.

Main changes since 0.5:

- Removed the dependency on owning the Alaska DLC.  Anyone can now use the tools

- Removed the encrypted format of flightAddon packages.  Custom packages can now be created by manually creating a .flightAddon file (.zip file format).  More details will be released later.

- Added a new command line tool to the Toolkit called SimPropCompiler.exe.  This can be used to convert back and forth between binary SimProp files (.spb, .material, .mission, .materialVar, etc) and xml.

- Replaced the installer with one that can properly detect Flight installed to custom Steam library locations.  This also breaks the scenario where you may have both the Steam and GFWL version of Flight installed.  If that is the case, the preview functionality in the tools will only work with the Steam version of Flight.

- Fixed some bugs that would allow you to use invalid characters in the name of addons and liveries which can cause the tools to crash once those addons are installed.

- Fixed the bug that would cause the tool to complain that FileLocator.config.backup already existed.

- Uninstalling the toolkit will now disables any installed add-ons.

This change also means that someone could theoretically package up the official DLCs as addons that can be installed via the Toolkit.

The inclusion of SimPropCompiler.exe, and the removal of the addon encryption also means that people should be able to use the toolkit to create their own custom DLC.  The types of potential add-ons that can now be created include:

- New missions

- New weather themes

- New built in aerocaches

- More complex liveries

- Different aircraft flight models

- Custom cameras per aircraft (like cockpit cameras on basic planes!)

At some point I hope to create a little wizard that can automate the process of creating the AddonDescription.xml, but not sure when or if I will get to it.

Let me know if there are any issues using this!

Coolness! You are awesome. :-)

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Just stepped into the MS FLIGHT forum in my way towards the X-Plane one, and saw this!

This is really great news!!!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

thank you so much, sounds like Christmas already! :smile:

I knew at one point  this was going to hapend . thanks man .....

Image removed as image is no longer available.

Brandon and I tried using the SimPropCompiler tool to decompile the Microsoft Flight\CoreContent.pak\Aerocaches\Core_Aerocaches.spb file; however, instead of returning the XML, the output of the tool read:

UNEXPECTED TYPE FOR PROPERTY
Failed to read binary data.

Any ideas?  Thanks! :)

Brandon and I tried using the SimPropCompiler tool to decompile the Microsoft Flight\CoreContent.pak\Aerocaches\Core_Aerocaches.spb file; however, instead of returning the XML, the output of the tool read:

Any ideas?  Thanks! :)

Ok, thanks.  There are definitely some forms of data that it doesn't support but this gives me enough information to go fix it.  Let me know if you find other files with problems.  I'm glad you are trying to update that file since I think it may be possible to continue in game aerocaches with it :)

Edit: Also, when the time comes I can show you how you can replace files in .pak files without having to modify the original .pak using FileLocator.config and virtual paths.