Sign in to follow this  
BlueLemon

Need help moving FSX to a New HDD

Hello to all and good Day

I hop i am in the right Section , for my Problem

I have windows 7 home 64 X  on a SSD  and FSX on my 500 HDD .

I want to Buy a New hard drive and put all my FSX and only FSX on the new HDD , because i have all my Downloads and fsx and every thing els on the old HDD and i think this is slowing down Performance , i do have the Old HDD into 4 portions and fsx is alone in one of the Portions 

My Question is will it help fsx if i put it on a fresh new HDD ?  and how can i move FSX with out installing every thing From scratch i have many addons and i dont want to go that Route

Thanks to all

My Question is will it help fsx if i put it on a fresh new HDD ?

No.

In effect FSX is already on a separate hard drive (within its own partition.)

Proper defragmentation and consolidation may help with your perceived performance issues. Removal of system clutter, registry repair/cleanup/compaction may also help a little. In other words good housekeeping.

MigrateEasy7 is just one of several free/free trial software available with which to copy the contents of one storage device to another if indeed you decide to go ahead with a new HDD purchase.

I tried this a year ago, I cloned a 240GB SSD to a 480GB SSD as I was running out of space. Everything seemed fine, Win 7 64 booted normally, and FSX booted normally. But then I found a lot of my payware aircraft caused FSX to crash. Turns out that some of them do a hard drive ID check as an anti-piracy measure. So rather than re-install them all, I moved the scenery files which were taking up the most space, to the 480GB SSD and left the rest on my 240GB SSD.

Eugene

My Question is will it help fsx if i put it on a fresh new HDD ? and how can i move FSX with out installing every thing From scratch i have many addons and i dont want to go that Route

Thanks to all

Hi,

You won't get higher FPS for a start.

Depending on what your current HDD is and what your new drive is to be you MIGHT get:

1. Faster load time of a flight.

2. Faster loading of ground textures

3. A bit less stutters.

You might only notice nr1.

As you already have FSX on a separate partition with its own drive letter you can just pop in the new drive and give it a new drive letter.

1. Copy over all the files you have on your current FSX partition.

2. Change the drive letter on your current FSX partition to something else.

3. Change the drive letter on your new drive to the same as your original FSX partition was.

Should that not work you'll just have to change the drive letter back on your previous drive and everything will be back as it was before. Then you'll have to explore another option using imaging software.

Thanks to all  you are wonderfull

I will try the option that  SAAB340  gave and see how this goes since it fits what im Looking for

thanks to all  Still open to any other options  , Maybe some other memeber reads this later on

Stay Lifted

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MOBO, RAM, CPU's & Other Hardware" to "MS FSX Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Thanks to all  you are wonderfull

I will try the option that  SAAB340  gave and see how this goes since it fits what im Looking for

You shouldn't have any trouble to move FSX over to a new SSD

ITs quite simple

1) Add the SSD to you PC . It will have a new drive assignement ...say "E:"

2) Go to START right mouse clock on "computer", then left click on "Manage"m Storage->Diskmanagement

You will see all your drives and partitions with its assigned letters.

Right  mouse click on your FSX drive and select change "Drive letter and Paths". Change the drive letter to say "H" or whatever you want

3) Do step 2 again, this time change the new SSD to the drive letter you had for your old FSX drive/partition.

4) Copy your fsx folder over to the SSD drive. (you could have done this after setp 1 as well

5) Don't delete your old FSX folder in your HDD as yet.. Just rename the fsx folder to TBD_FSX or something (like To be deleted).

Reboot your PC and start FSX.  You should be good

Once you are comfortable with your new SSD, delete the TBD_FSX or use it as your back up. If you don't like this move you can reverse the whole thing back to what it was

All your addons should work .. As long as you did not dfisturb the registry and your OS drive.  .if by any small chance that an aircraft addon vendor has tied your HD to their aircraft,. delete that aircraft and never buy anything from that addon vendor ever again and let us also know which addon vendor did this.. so I can avoid that addon vendor like the Plague.  Tsk Tsk!

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Thank you manny   sounds like something i can manage  , but i am moving to a HDD not an SDD

Thank you manny   sounds like something i can manage  , but i am moving to a HDD not an SDD

Same process

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

It works, I had to enter serial numbers for some payware. I think pmdg was one of them. It was no biggie...

supporter.jpg