Sign in to follow this  
nzeddy

Prepar3D V2 Beta Videos

MSFlight had this volumetric fog also, nothing really exciting new to me.

Microsoft Flight also had dynamic lighting, cockpit shadows, proper multithreading and was able to use your GPU efficiently to draw tons of autogen with little performance cost. There's absolutely nothing new in here. But I'm excited because my wish has been pretty much granted; FSX in Flight's engine.

The fact that you are speaking in past tense says a lot about MSFlight. It was a good sim tied to a really bad marketing scheme.

Looks nice but performance seems to be absolutely terrible...?

It will be relative to how far right you move the sliders and your computer I guess. I like eye candy, but have never lost sleep because I had to reduce certain settings a notch or two.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Got to agree with Jeroen. That video did more to lower my expectations than raise them. If I have to choose between frames and shadows... I go for the frames. So how much do all these new visuals cost in performance? I know it's early, but the testers haven't really said much other than state how nice the sim looks.

The fact that you are speaking in past tense says a lot about MSFlight. It was a good sim tied to a really bad marketing scheme.

If P3D V2 performs as well as MS Flight does on my PC I'll be more than happy. So far the images I've seen look like MS Flight...no real advancement in quality but I'm okay with not having micro stutters like FSX.

As mentioned in another thread, blurries and constant stuttering obvious in the vid with a default plane and default scenery, which doesn't bode well for performance with addon planes and ORBX scenery for example.

Anyway, as always the proof will be in the pudding...

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Jeroen, surely you know by now that you can't really judge any sim's performance based on a recorded video...

...given that the recording software itself is crippling the sim's performance! :wacko:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

That is why all beta tester that have been released from their NDA should give all the info needed BEFORE peoples buy V2.0 and come back here asking why they (beta tester) did keep quiet about performance when questions were asked about it. 

People will whine about performance (and everything else for that matter) regardless of how informed they are. Realism and performence will never add up - it will always be a compromise.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987!