Sign in to follow this  
denali

Fisheye on multimonitor systems.

All I want for Christmas is P3D 2.0.    I've even geared up with a 3770k (watercooled, OC'ed to a stable 4.7Ghz), 32GB, GTX 780 ACX (not yet OC'ed), and Windows 8.1.   I've been waiting months with this system, and then with the frenzy of noise about the new version I finally broke and bought 1.4 a few days ago.  It's nice, but I had FSX pretty well tuned already, thanks to years of lurking, studying (Thanks to all the experts, you know who you are) so I don't think I'll hang on to it.  I actually broke down to install it to learn only one thing ...

But I'll definitely be up early Monday morning downloading 2.0.

The screenies and youtubes look awesome.  I don't think I've ever wanted a program more.   

The only thing that I anguish over in the new version is will it correct the fisheye effect in the side monitors (3 x 1920 x 1080, Nvidia Surround).  

I'm familiar with the 3rd party geometry correctors, but I don't think they're the thing to use if not for projectors.  And they're pricey.  

I've tried the FSX FOV Hack, but it just doesn't hack it for me.   Somewhere there is a video of a 3 screen of MS Flight without fisheye.  So I know it is possible.

I am aware that the Pepe [Le Pew] team (think about it, they're "almost" a real Skunkworks) has worked in FOV adjustments for the observer views, but I haven't figured out what an observer view is.  There is a post at LM's forum saying the FOV adjustment feature may be implemented in standard views in future P3D releases.

Did it happen? (crossing fingers, eyes closed, holding breath).

Why did everyone leave?

Oh, but of course! Already I have achieved a post of honor, and have been left to defend the fort.

Viva la Republique! 

Probably because no one knows what the answer might be? Just a guess, mind you!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Per Lockheeds responses to the forum questions:

6. Can you please speak about multiple monitor and multi-PC setup for Home cockpits? What is the maximum number of screens we could have? Currently in FSX. We’ve delivered training solutions with up to 12 screens. With a lot of the advancements of Prepar3D v2 multiple monitors and screens have less of a performance impact, and we’ve also worked to resolve the ‘fisheye’ effect for wide view screens or views spread across multiple screens. If you have a custom setup like this, we also now let you define the horizontal and vertical FOV yourself in your camera.cfg files, so you can now custom-tune and hand-define your FOV to exactly what you want it to be. This was never possible before in a previous product. We invite folks to look over the v2 learning center in any license of Prepar3D v2 to see just how much customization we have added to Prepar3D.

Does this not address your concern? I for one love this enhancement!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

To me, that alone will be worth moving from 1.4 to 2.0.  With a wrap-around system now I will be able to adjust the views like that and get rid of those 'fishies"!

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

With that resolved I may up going the 3 monitor route myself soon. That fisheye effect put me off bothering

I am so stoked by this answer from P3D folks

I just want a 4th monitor  for a left window view.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Yeah, this is the main fix I was looking for.  If I had only one reason to purchase it would be a fisheye fix.   I'm considering adding 2 "side" windows, older 19" square ones, for a panorama of 5, and a panel window below the middle one.  :lol:   I have 3 27 inch now.

It's gonna be bliss ... finally.

I'm considering adding 2 "side" windows, older 19" square ones, for a panorama of 5, and a panel window below the middle one.     I have 3 27 inch now.

He did say that it would not affect performance..but we are determined to show him how wrong he was.. Ha HA!  :lol:

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Yeah, this is the main fix I was looking for.  If I had only one reason to purchase it would be a fisheye fix.   I'm considering adding 2 "side" windows, older 19" square ones, for a panorama of 5, and a panel window below the middle one.  :lol:   I have 3 27 inch now.

Hello Denali - Did you ever complete the post-processing fisheye fix? I would love to use this for my projectors. Would it would with other post processing like SweetFX?

thx

I didn't get to where I planned to on that, although I got close to an answer on the math.  I have been busy prepar1ing for my first sons arrival.  I've set P3D2 down for a bit in anticipation of the update and ASN too, so I might pick things up again soon.  I think I broke something in my installation with shader testing, so when .1 comes out I'll probably do a reinstall, maybe the whole OS again.  Add that to moving my rig out of my office, now son's nursery,  and into the family room (lucky there is a nice big desk there, but half the bedroom was a built in desk I have to dismantle).  I am pretty excited about the possibilities, so I'll probably be on it soon.  This is the only topic I let myself read about when I take a break from nesting activities.

dandimm, did you find the other thread I made where I had a half fix for the problem?  It's for triple monitor, it compresses the sides in to half the side monitors, reduces the horizontal stretch at least.   I posted the shader file with instructions.  Part of the reason why I haven't worked on it more is because I get a good amount of satisfaction with the half fix already.  Hope that gets you closer.

It's for triple monitor, it compresses the sides in to half the side monitors, reduces the horizontal stretch at least.  

Would it work for double monitor as well?

I posted the shader file with instructions.  

Will you please add the link there - I would like to give it a try...

Thanks!