Sign in to follow this  
woodhick

Baron Comparison

I own and greatly enjoy the Milviz Beech Baron B-55, but as with nearly everyone these days, I am wondering if I am getting the greatest amount of enjoyment possible.  Can anyone--probably someone who already owns both--give me a comparison between the two Barons, Carenado and Milviz?  I am most interested in the hand flying ability of the Carenado. 

Thanks guys

Hi Dan,

I own both, although they were bought a long time apart;  The Carenado Baron back in about 2009 or 2010 I believe, and the MilViz B55 I bought last week....   It was the second time I bought it, as the first time I was getting horrible frame rates and returned it under the F1 Refund Policy.

Anyway, after hearing that frames were now ok, following the SP, I bought it again.    

First things first.... there is no comparison!! ....... The MilViz, in my opinion beats the Carenado in every area;  VC, exterior model, sounds........ and especially flight handling characteristics.    The Carenado Baron is in my view, not one of their best and feels a little lacking in immersion to me.     In contrast, as you'll know the MilViz B55 is quite immersive and has real character and feels 'real'.... (although I would have to say, nowhere near as much as the MilViz C310R, which I prefer a lot over the B55).

But trust me Dan, as a MilViz B55 flyer, you're not missing out on anything with the Carenado Baron.

Thanks for the informed commentary and comparison Dave.  I'm still going to hope for more comments but I'll keep in mind your report.

I just fly the default one, but I'm partial to choose the Carenado version since most of their aircraft comes with no DRM and/or activation limits, hence you won't run into trouble and need support along the way.

Carenado do have a reputation for poorer flight models than Milviz, A2A and RealAir, but I find it very hard to judge them since it's all so personal and based on "feeling", mostly by people who have no experience flying the real thing. Also what controllers you have play a big part in the handling. It's very hard to make the cheap Saitek and CH yokes feel anything like a real yoke. For instance, I fly a C172 in real life, but even the A2A sim version feels nothing like the real thing, and lack of quality controllers plays a huge role in that.

But I digress. Hope to hear some more feedback from users of both addons myself, since I would like to add a Baron to my hangar as well.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

I also own both and agree fully with Dave's assessment.  I logged around 70 hours in the early '70's across a pair of T-42's, the military version of the Baron.  The MilViz Baron is the closest a flight sim model has come to making me feel I was back in the cockpit of any aircraft.  I wish I could find someone to do a repaint of the MilViz Baron in a T-42 scheme.  The MilViz layered paint kit is beyond my skills in that regard.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I own and greatly enjoy the Milviz Beech Baron B-55, but as with nearly everyone these days, I am wondering if I am getting the greatest amount of enjoyment possible.  Can anyone--probably someone who already owns both--give me a comparison between the two Barons, Carenado and Milviz?  I am most interested in the hand flying ability of the Carenado. 

Thanks guys

I think @Geoffa would be the best person to ask here, as he has or had his own real baron, and is very passionate about the subject. I believe the Milviz Baron comes with a livery of his exact plane!!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

... Carenado version since most of their aircraft comes with no DRM and/or activation limits ...

True, but they have limited downloads, and don't tell you when there is a new version available, so you have to guess as to whether or not to risk one of your 3 downloads as to whether there will have been an update or not. Keeping a version number next to the 'request new links' button wouldn't kill them, but it seems to be too much work (or maybe they just want you to run out of downloads and have to buy fresh - although I think the only models they've ever updated after release were their x-plane planes).

Which, IMO is worse than limited activations in some ways. At least companies that have limited activations will normally make it clear what version is available.

Dan, for the Carenado Baron info you can read the Avsim.com review.  I also have both Barons, Milviz and Carenado, and I still fly both except I have upgraded the Carenado to a Turbo model with some new gauges to accommodate the higher MP and some new click sounds (freeware from Avsim library).

I actually prefer the cabin and panel of the Carenado, mostly because it replicates a newer and cleaner B58 cabin but I agree with Dave, the Milviz version has the better handling characteristics.

Regards,

Ray

http://forum.avsim.net/page/index.html/_/reviews/mad-catzsaitek-flight-simulator-cockpit-r690

Dan, this link will take you a review that covers 5 twins including the Carenado B58.  I received the Milviz Baron while I was writing this review and I chose not to have two head on comparsions.  I do however cover the Milviz C310 and the RealAir Turbine Duke in that review with some other very nice ones.

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

True, but they have limited downloads, and don't tell you when there is a new version available, so you have to guess as to whether or not to risk one of your 3 downloads as to whether there will have been an update or not. Keeping a version number next to the 'request new links' button wouldn't kill them, but it seems to be too much work (or maybe they just want you to run out of downloads and have to buy fresh - although I think the only models they've ever updated after release were their x-plane planes).

Which, IMO is worse than limited activations in some ways. At least companies that have limited activations will normally make it clear what version is available.

Nice to know. I don't by direct from devs, so I wasn't aware of that. I have never needed to download twice though, as I backup all my software religiously.

Strange practice though, but I'd rather have that limit, than run my head into a wall for each reinstall and wait a week for support to get it sorted. Just went through major ordeals with Flight1 and Just Flight. Captain Sim doesn't even care to answer my e-mails, so I regard all their addons as lost...

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Thanks for the comments guy, interesting viewpoints all.  And I'm glad I chose rightly (strictly IMHO) as to which Baron to buy at the initial purchase.  Actually my question was in some ways biased.  I stopped buying Carenado products some years ago.  They always seemed great to look at but poorly done in other aspects--hand flying characteristics being one.  And I was, and am, really interested in the hand flying characteristics.   Remember, this is strictly my humble opinion. 

Having said that, I was still wondering--and to some extent hoping--that Carenado would have produced a Baron I would enjoy.  After all, one cannot have too many airplanes in one's hangar.

I have gone past the limit with Carenado. I e-mailed support and they gave me additional opportunities. They have always been cooperative with me. It certainly is a good idea to back up all software. I use a satellite drive for that.

I have almost everything Carenado has produced and some are very good flying machines in addition to looking great.  Some aren't.  I think the common thread among the better ones are the ones associated with Bernt Stolle doing the FDE.  Take a look at the Carenado 337H.  Same deal, I added the Turbo and it is one of my favorites and flies great (Bernt Stolle FDE).  I also like their C210 and their SR22T.  The Carenado G1000 is really a lite simulation.  Very lite with minimal documentation.

I have probably written a dozen Avsim reviews of Carenado products in the last 3 years.

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

I would agree that the Baron is not my favorite Carenado design either..

If you would like to fly a well done Carenado twin, I would either get the C337 or C90B King Air.

The C337 takes an RXP 530, the C90B takes an RXP 430.. which may also influence your choice.

If you do get the C337 (which is one of my all time favorites, period) contact me for some fixes..

Bert

The Milviz Baron is in my opinion the best Baron for any flight sim.

True-the entire thing is based from rw pictures of my former aircraft (not just the livery-everything!)-every detail down to chipped paint on the yoke where I would often clunk it on the seatbelt during a crosswind landing.

It simply not only looks, but performs and "feels" like the real thing.

The Carenado is nice (and is also a B58) but it does not come nearly as close as capturing everything the Milviz does.

Milviz Baron is no comparison plus the tutorial flights are great...my only gripe is that it's a little fps hungry in certain situations, particularly with the gps.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor