Sign in to follow this  
ntme9

V2- Still no quad core or SLI optimization

I wanted there to be a topic that focused on these items in V2. The testing I have done so far shows no cpu utilization past 25% on a 4770k @4.7ghz even when the graphics are set low(so not to bottle neck the gpu) and fps set to unlimited.  

The next item is good and bad, V2 does a much better job at utilizing the gpu, BUT I see no usage out of the second gpu. (I run 2 evga 780 acx sc in sli).

If anyone has info of how to get sli to work that would be awesome.

Its sad that V2 is STILL not quad core optimized because its is a must have for this game if you want to run AI elements.

I will continue to play with settings to find the best of both worlds between gpu and cpu bottle necking. cheers

I believe SLI will be supported in a later version.

Best regards,

Alexander Rietveld

As I recall Lockheed Martin wrote in its forums that V2.0 would not support SLI but that it may do so in future.

Did you set affinity mask? Its using all 8 of my cores

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

SLI and Crossfire will be supported in Prepar3D 2.1. But if multi-threading is not utilised, then that's horrible.

I'm not sure how you're seeing such low CPU utillization.  I'm running a 3570k, and I'm seeing Core 0 very low, but cores 1,2, and 3, are maxed out.  I'm running a GTX 680 and see ~60% GPU utilization, but my VRAM is all in use.  Gonna pop in my GTX 590 later and see if there's a difference w/ SLI.

It was made crystal clear months ago that v2.x would not support SLI. They have stated that they will be working hard to get it into the first dot release update (v2.1).

Also, it was made clear that while they have greatly improved threading, no major effort was made to automatically support multi-core operations. However, you can still add an affinity mask to the p3d.cfg file to enable shifting some of the processing to other cores. There is a screenshot in one of these threads that show all four cores of this user's processor being used!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Ill give the a-mask a try. I show usage on 3 cores but only one is maxed out, the other 2 are about 50%.

It was made crystal clear months ago that v2.x would not support SLI. They have stated that they will be working hard to get it into the first dot release update (v2.1).

Also, it was made clear that while they have greatly improved threading, no major effort was made to automatically support multi-core operations. However, you can still add an affinity mask to the p3d.cfg file to enable shifting some of the processing to other cores. There is a screenshot in one of these threads that show all four cores of this user's processor being used!

Great information Fr. Bill.  Question for you that would typically go in the Hardware forum, but it is a bit more pertinent to ask someone knowledgeable of this new platform.  I currently have a modest system that I am considering an upgrade.  I currently have a Core2Duo e6750 and have a chance of getting a quad core Q9550.  The difference between the two is the Q has a bit faster clock speed and an additional two cores.  Do you think that would make a difference?

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

Also, it was made clear that while they have greatly improved threading, no major effort was made to automatically support multi-core operations.

Ugh, but why? Did they think that offloading work from the CPU to the GPU would be enough? The CPU still has lots of work to do. With proper multithreading it would be possible to max out the AI at least.

Well Mike, faster can only be better. Even I'm going to have to get a more modern machine to properly use P3D v2.0...

My current fs machine is an i7-2600 3.4GHz, 4GB DDR3 and a GeForce GTX550Ti 1GB; the very bottom of the lineup these days. :huh:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Ok I added,

[JobScheduler]
AffinintyMask=84

to the top of the cfg file is this correct? I am now seeing usage from 4 cores and very very little on the multi threads but it still right about 25% usage.

So you CAN get it to use the other cores but NOT (key word) optimally. Cheers

I'm not sure how you're seeing such low CPU utillization.  I'm running a 3570k, and I'm seeing Core 0 very low, but cores 1,2, and 3, are maxed out.  I'm running a GTX 680 and see ~60% GPU utilization, but my VRAM is all in use.  Gonna pop in my GTX 590 later and see if there's a difference w/ SLI.

Just ordered a 770 4gb I hope it will help with my stutters and slow loading of the internal and external models...... It better for $380

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Please see my earlier thread titled Joystick and Cores.  I posted it last night.  By default P3D2 was utilizing 3 cores and I did place the affinity tweak to get all 4 cores running.

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

I for one am very grateful of earlier adopters that are out spending money on P3D2 and video cards, running through configurations and reporting what works and doesn't work. For those of us on the sidelines observing, you are the pioneers that will allow the rest of us to make informative decisions when the time comes to adopt P3D2.