Sign in to follow this  
MarkSC

Configuration Observations and Tips

7. I cannot start a flight in full screen mode with the black screen option unchecked. It reverts back to windowed mode with a partially maximized window so I must then switch to windowed mode to maximize and then change to full screen mode. As others have noted, if I start in full screen with the black screen option checked, I get the black screen of death. This has been reported to LM, so I'm hopeful of a fix.

Another work around is to NOT have the Start Up screen load when you start the sim (uncheck that box).

I just created my my own default flight, which loads at start.  Since doing that, I haven't seen the black screen.

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

Hey! I got to say this looks like a really good thread and I greatly appreciate everybody reporting and that I'm still having problems with FSUIPC, which I posted elsewhere this appears to be the latest version but the beer to be loading for me.

Also, my I hope Bill scenery on Jack's shopping center house log cabin

Etc. were pulled from the latest iteration of 1.4 and previous versions of FSX where work just fine. Files and directories you in the right place in and on sanely unreferenced inside of seeing Scenery.CFG and inside the scenery library, but I am not seeing my stuff as I didn't all previous versions of FSX and P 3-D.

Chas

This is meta and has nothing to do with the thread, but you should really consider trimming your Interests listing in your profile. Your posts take up 3 times as much space as they should. 

Here's some WOAI info (from: Bill McIntyre 'BigMack'):

Installation is the same as installing in the 1.4 version. If you have FSX installed, then install in FSX and copy over to P3D. If you don't have FSX installed use the migrator (not sure what this is).

WOAI works well in PD3 2.0

I'd suggest one of us contact the WOAI guys to make a compatible installer for P3D v2 so we don't need a workaround to get it to work.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

LM has posted a possible fix to the issue I posted above regarding the program reverting to windowed mode on start up in Win 8.1. They have advised me to set all monitors at the same resolution. I'm not home to try it yet but am impressed at the quick response from LM. Note that this does not relate to the black screen issue.

Saitek multipanel and switch panel work fine using SPAD drivers.

There is no Aero mode in Windows 8. I believe that Windows 8 forces vsync on when in windowed mode (or the pseudo full screen mode that P3D uses), so the vsync option in P3D is non functional. It's always on and cannot be turned off with Win 8. Not sure about triple buffering.

Here's some WOAI info (from: Bill McIntyre 'BigMack'):

Installation is the same as installing in the 1.4 version. If you have FSX installed, then install in FSX and copy over to P3D. If you don't have FSX installed use the migrator (not sure what this is).

WOAI works well in PD3 2.0

I'd suggest one of us contact the WOAI guys to make a compatible installer for P3D v2 so we don't need a workaround to get it to work.

I've just posted up a request in their forums.

Some V-Sync Information:-

One thing to keep in mind is that the v-sync is adaptive. Assuming you have a 60hz monitor, enabling v-sync will lock your frame-rate to 60, 30, 20, 15, etc. If you enable v-sync and set your frame limiter to exactly 30 you will artificially introduce stutters by dropping to 20hz for any frame that runs long. I would try locking the frame-rate slightly above 30hz so that frames which run slightly long don't cause a stutter. Enabling triple buffering with the frame-rate locked about 10% higher than the desired refresh rate tends to give very smooth results.

Zach Heylmun

PREPAR3D Software Engineer

To further an above point, you can force SGSS (2x or 4x, etc. sparse grid super sampling) from NI inspector.

DX10/DX11 titles do not let you force MSAA from the driver so it's not a bug that you can't do so. But, just like FSX DX10, you can fix AA issues by enabling AA in P3D and then setting SGSS to 2x or 4x within NI. 

This should give you the image quality you are used to in FSX. 

Since this is a sticky now.. This needs to be added to the OP. I started a thread quoting this  but it's quickly  falling off the main page...

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=3920

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Have any of you thought about using FSMark11 to benchmark? That way you can find what each setting does to FPS in a controlled way.

To further an above point, you can force SGSS (2x or 4x, etc. sparse grid super sampling) from NI inspector.

DX10/DX11 titles do not let you force MSAA from the driver so it's not a bug that you can't do so. But, just like FSX DX10, you can fix AA issues by enabling AA in P3D and then setting SGSS to 2x or 4x within NI.

This should give you the image quality you are used to in FSX.

Also, I believe that SGSS must be set to the same multiple as multi sampling, so both must be 2x, 4x or 8x.

FXAA should have minimal impact on performance and, in theory, can substitute for all other AA. However, many find the images too blurry.

My understanding is that these are limitations of DIrectX and have nothing to do with P3D per se. It's the reason Steve ran into the same issues with his DX10 fixer for FSX.

Thanks for this thread!

Can anyone recommend the right affinity-mask entry in .cfg for a INtel 4-core cpu (no HT)?

Thx!

There's no reason you need it. P3D used all 4 cores by default.

When I checked my core utilisation, Core 1 was at about 20% with the other ones at max.

Read somewhere that others experienced this too and recommended to apply the affinity mask setting

CPU: Ryzen 5600 no OC, MB: MSI Tomahawk B450, RAM: 32GB DDR 3600, GPU: RX6900XT, 2TB SDD, Res: WQHD

Simply out of curiosity I applied the same A/M setting I was using in FSX. No positive or negative impact to performance that I could see but that was only after a couple of hours of using something brand new. On the face of it, their is a change to core utilisation. Tweaking gets into your bones so couldn't help myself. I'm going to leave it in place and get used to how the sim feels, then take it out. Its a long term test in my opinion.

Tip

If you run into un-rendered auto-gen like so.. Change your texture resolution to a different value, (this will fix it) and back again.. So go from say, 4096, to 2048, hit ok, then revert back.. This doesn't survive a shutdown and restart and seem region specific (I only see it in Hawaii)..

4qwLCzJ.jpg

Credit for the work around goes to "PP" on the Prepar3D forum - http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=3918

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Ok, I've done some benchmarking with FRAPS, and there is no difference between (1) enabling 4X MSAA and FXAA in P3D and (2) enabling 4x MSAA and disabling FXAA in P3D and enabling 4X sparse grid supersampling in NI or Nvidea Control Panel.  I much prefer the look of the latter (less blurry).