Sign in to follow this  

Day 2 - I'm a believer!

YES! Now we're talking!!! I'm in! I'm sold! I'm a believer!

First thing I did this evening was turn on Aero (which, how funny, I had turned off for performance reasons LOL). And yes, Vsync works now! What a incredible difference it makes! Now I can finally see everything in all its glory! It's amazing how much autogen there is, as far as the eye can see! Although, which has to be said, this also depends on your weather settings: when I set visibility to unlimited I do see autogen poping up in the far distance. But with normal (and imho realistic) lower visibility, everything is there as if it's always been there. I said it before P3D was released and now that I've got Vsync working I have to say that I am indeed happy with this improvement alone. Flying above New York, with ALL those buildings in the distance, is unbelievable. This is how it should be!!!

Second thing I did was turning of FXAA and only use MSAA (8x). I'd like to say this to you all: TURN FXAA OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Things look so much sharper without it! Why the heck did they implement it and turn it on by default??? Obviously AA isn't what it was with FSX and NI but without FXAA the world looks a lot better!

But the fun didn't stop there. I (of course) fooled around with some more settings and to my excitement and amazement I finally found a combination of settings that enables me to fly with terrain-, buildings- and tree shadows on! (Quality on Medium.) Terrain is set to Cast and Receive and the other two are set to only Cast. YIHAAAAAAAAAAA! It's a dream come true! I do have to add that in order to get smooth flight I had to lower autogen to Very dense instead of my preferred Extremely dense. But I also have to add that the difference (what you see) isn't really big, specially not with FTX Global installed. Fps is around 23 above New York (with only 10% of road traffic and no other traffic at all). WIth extremely dense fps hovers around 19 or so. But... 23 above New York is SMOOTH as can be so that low fps doesn't say anything (as we all know, I guess).

Now I am of course not extremely thrilled that I had to lower autogen and fps is a bit on the edge but the great thing is that now I do know for certain (something I found hard to believe until now) that a new GPU (I use a GTX580 now, with a i5 2500K @ 4.5 and fly at 1920-1080) will REALLY make a huge difference and that it will indeed be possible to fly with for instance a GTX780 while having almost all sliders to the right. Which is something I am looking forward too!

O yeah, one thing I really like: you can HEAR P3D even when you switch to another program! This seems a little thing but it's great because switching to a browser or something doesn't feel like totally leaving the plane! I love this option!!!

A strange thing I noticed: it seems that whenever I have loaded my first flight, I have to toggle the menu bar on and off again. If I don't, performance isn't top notch, but as soon as I toggled the menu bar, fps goes from 15-ish to 25-ish. I am not talking about the fact that keeping the menu bar onscreen lowers performance (which it does) but the first time I hide it after loading my first flight, I really have to toggle the menu bar again. Odd but well...

Anyway, as I said: I'm a believer now. P3D 2.0 is here to stay. Now I am going to install REX (just for the clouds) and then I will nag A2A a bit so they will release the P3D 2.0 version of the C172 a bit sooner. ^_^

One more thing (sorry): I only fly low and rather slow. From the default planes I like the Maule most. But when I load a fast jet, I do get blurries and more popping up. My system clearly can't handle speed. But that's not odd with those shadows and all, I guess. To me it's not a problem but I can understand it if fast flyers with older hardware aren't too happy with P3D.

Hum... the Aero thing also applies to FSX. If it's on, then you get VSYNC in windowed mode, no tears nothing - and performance is definitely not worse. I use a little batch file which starts the window manager again after it's been stopped by FSX...

Nice to hear about P3D though - this is the first post I've read that begins to swing me in the 'should-buy' direction. Will wait for a couple of weeks, mainly because of the steep price and a certain cash flow challenge I have right now, but I guess I'll move... will give A2A a bit more time to get their planes sorted for P3D :)

One question: is there any indication whether you'll still need FSUIPC with P3D for things like finally being able to use the joystick coolie hat properly? I'm asking because of those new interfaces that are being advertised by LM... and I've held off getting FSUIPC until now because for me those features are nice to have and considering the hefty price of a full license, I'd rather give that money away for new planes or scenery (or P3D, as it might be).

EDIT: ##### why does this forum software insist on merging these two posts?!? Anyway, here goes the supposed separate answer to Paul:

What is Aero and where do I turn it on?

Paul

Put the below in a batch file and use that to start FSX (or P3D?) - substitute your FSX/P3D exe location in line 2:

@echo off
start "" "D:\Games\FSX\FSX.exe"
net stop uxsms
net start uxsms

Tks for the feedback J.

It is useful. On my side, I'm still discovering and testing different options in the menu.

As we speak, I'm flying CYYJ to KSEA in the Maule and the fsp is rocksteady at 60 (it doesn't move at all. No decimals. Zero). So it's a 60hz monitor 2560x1440 and vsync is adaptive.. I'm not sure. Still testing.

As for FXAA, it's off and it's better this way. I think it "induces" blurries not sure.

I changed the P3dv2 cfg file a bit to check: added the affinity tweak, and the fftf at .13. Will verify if they make a difference.

NO add ons yet.

I see 2 huge improvements: lighting (in VC and outside) and SMOOTHNESS

Pierre

Pierre

Great to hear it's working fine for you, I was about to buy it already but then MegaSceneryEarth sales at FS Pilot Shop ate my budget...  :lol:

Probably I will go with the developer license to test my coming scenery until I can get the academic license. 

I wonder what kind of performance my 4GB Radeon 6990 will give with prepar3d, when I bought it a couple of years ago it was the best card available together with GTX 590.

You can force Sparse-grid supersampling via NI just like you could in DX10 FSX. 

Regular MSAA won't work. 

Could someone give a more thorough explanation of what areo is and a thorough step by step instructions of how to do the above post. I have no idea what he is talking about or how to fo it.

Has anyone experimented with the BP tweak?

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Could someone give a more thorough explanation of what areo is and a thorough step by step instructions of how to do the above post. I have no idea what he is talking about or how to fo it.

Google it for instructions. 

Aero is the thing in Windows 7 (and Vista before it and 8 after it) that makes the task bar and windows transparent, animated, etc. It's a whole visual feature set. 

FSX used to disable it automatically. P3D needs it on to function properly. 

Rightclick on the desktop and choose Personalize. Select one of the Aero themes and your done. When Aero is enabled you will see the bars of windows will be slightly transparent. No need for batch files or whatever: simply select a theme and leave it on.

Has anyone experimented with the BP tweak?

Yes, it didn't make a difference at all. It's absolutely incredible but I don't have any tweaks in my cfg... amazing!!! I feel so liberated!

The bufferpools tweak simply isn't needed anymore because LM already shifted a lot of work to the GPU. So BP won't work but believe me, you won't need it.

And now we know how to enable Vsync (darned, why didn't someone tell me this when we were struggling with it in FSX???) there isn't much to hold you back, Howard... Do not forget that LM has a 60 day refund policy! You can give it a try for free!!!

http://www.wikihow.com/Turn-on-Aero-in-Windows-Vista

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

One question: is there any indication whether you'll still need FSUIPC with P3D for things like finally being able to use the joystick coolie hat properly?

Sorry, I don't own FSUIPC and I don't really need it for my joystick and rudder pedals.

Tks for the feedback J.

It is useful. On my side, I'm still discovering and testing different options in the menu.

As we speak, I'm flying CYYJ to KSEA in the Maule and the fsp is rocksteady at 60 (it doesn't move at all. No decimals. Zero). So it's a 60hz monitor 2560x1440 and vsync is adaptive.. I'm not sure. Still testing.

As for FXAA, it's off and it's better this way. I think it "induces" blurries not sure.

I changed the P3dv2 cfg file a bit to check: added the affinity tweak, and the fftf at .13. Will verify if they make a difference.

NO add ons yet.

I see 2 huge improvements: lighting (in VC and outside) and SMOOTHNESS

Pierre

Not sure if you are aware, but LM already left core 0 for OS and other bits. P3D runs on 1,2,and 3 very similar to AM=14 in FSX.

BTW I also should have added that the texture loading has improved a lot compared to FSX. I always noticed textures loading nearby in FSX (which wasn't because of my system specs but that simply was the way it worked!), but in P3D this is far less obvious. Together with the autogen improvement it's enough to make me say this was 200 bucks spend well. Now I only need to spend some more bucks on a GPU and I will be in flightsimming heaven.