Sign in to follow this  
Arismac

Affinity mask setting?

What should my affinity mask setting be for a pair of GTX780's please? I know SLI is not supported yet.

My current setting is

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=14

Disable SLI.. It will cause nothing but trouble.. Seriously.. Just disable it when in Prepar3D entirely. Even the Prepar3D devs are highly recommending this until further notice. 

Also.. Leave your config file alone. No need for AM settings and various other questionable tweaks.. v2 is ready to roll out of the box

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Many thanks for your prompt reply, Bill. Is there a simpler way than pulling the bridge between the two cards? or should I simply take the bridge off and leave it off for now?

Many thanks for your prompt reply, Bill. Is there a simpler way than pulling the bridge between the two cards? or should I simply take the bridge off and leave it off for now?

Just do it in Nvidia Control Panel. :) It may ask you to close certain programs first..

When you want SLI back just set it to "Maximize 3D Performance" again and hit apply. 

97HaDFl.jpg

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Yup that is what I thought too, Bill. However the menu choice "Configure SLI, ... " has been replaced on my NVIDIA Control Panel by the line "Configure Surround, PhysX". Which perhaps means there is no longer a "Disable SLI" choice available. I guess it is time to go to the dreaded NVIDIA Forum.

Oh you have Nvidia Surround enabled? 

I hate to tell you this but.. You're second card doesn't exist..  Did you just happen to plop your second card in after initially already having a single 780 up and running? If so the drivers don't install the SLI drivers like that. You need to go download the latest drivers (331.82) and install them.. You should then have SLi options.. As of right now as far as your system is concerned you're running a single card.   If two cards don't appear there after installing drivers again you need to check your SLI bridge and power connectors. 

Good news for me then for P3D, Bill. Thanks for the info on the SLI setup. I have both cards plugged in and the bridge/link in place but had not gone past that as I was told that SLI would not be applicable for P3D just yet. I only have two cards because I brought one and my GF also brought me a present.

Good news for me then for P3D, Bill. Thanks for the info on the SLI setup. I have both cards plugged in and the bridge/link in place but had not gone past that as I was told that SLI would not be applicable for P3D just yet. I only have two cards because I brought one and my GF also brought me a present.

Hey...very nice GF!!! You better hold on to her!! :lol:

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

Mac,

To get back to the original question you had, P3D2 does support affinity mask if you wish to get the most out of it.. Now, whether or not P3D utilizes Hyper-Threading or not I have not come across since I do not have it (HT) to start with. But in any case, I see from your signature you have a Core i7 3960X which is a hex core w/ HT. Knowing that and using a  

[JOBSCHEDULER]

AffinityMask=14

Means you are missing out of at least 2 cores and a max of 3 physical cores if HT is turned off in BIOS.

If you you have HT on in BIOS, whoah boy! - you are using only 1 physical out of 6 and 2 logical cores, if even possible.

Below is a chart using the best ways to use the full potential of your processor - UNLEASH THE BEAST!!  

- Far right bit = core #0 physical
- If HT is on in BIOS then from right core #0 to left = 
(Bit 0 = Core #0 physical, Bit 1 = Core #0 Logical) 
etc to the left counting upwards for each core
- In the tables below the far left number is the affinity mask
then it's bit representation 

------------------------------------------------

-Dual Core, HT off in BIOS, OR non HT processor
2 = 10 - Donot use windows core
3 = 11 - Use windows core

-Dual Core, HT on in BIOS, Donot utilize HT
4 = 100 - Donot use windows core
5 = 101 - Use windows core

-Dual Core, HT on in BIOS, Utilize HT
12 = 1100 - Donot use windows core
15 = 1111 - Use windows core

-Quad Core, HT off in BIOS, OR non HT processor
14 = 1110 - Donot use windows core
15 = 1111 - Use windows core

-Quad Core, HT on in BIOS, Donot utilize HT
84 = 1010100 - Donot use windows core
85 = 1010101 - Use windows core

-Quad Core, HT on in BIOS, Utilize HT
252 = 11111100 - Donot use windows core
255 = 11111111 - Use windows core

-Hex Core, HT off in BIOS, OR non HT processor
62 = 111110 - Donot use windows core
63 = 111111 - Use windows core

-Hex Core, HT on in BIOS, Donot utilize HT
1364 = 10101010100 - Donot use windows core
1365 = 10101010101 - Use windows core

-Hex Core, HT on in BIOS, Utilize HT
4092 = 111111111100 - Donot use windows core
4095 = 111111111111 - Use windows core

-Octa Core, HT off in BIOS, OR non HT processor
254 = 11111110 - Donot use windows core
255 = 11111111 - Use windows core

-Octa Core, HT on in BIOS, Donot utilize HT
21844 = 101010101010100 - Donot use windows core
21845 = 101010101010101 - Use windows core

-Octa Core, HT on in BIOS, Utilize HT
65532 = 1111111111111100 - Donot use windows core
65535 = 1111111111111111 - Use windows core
  Edited by spokes2112

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

V2 already comes with a default setting of staying off Core 0 and leaving it for the OS, drivers etc.

Info from Beau at LM:

Terrain and scenery jobs access the hard drive so enabling all threads will have mixed results. I believe each core has one io bus to share between the two threads.

Beau Hollis
Rendering System Lead - Prepar3D® Team

And more info from the LM team:

V2 is smarter about generating its default affinity mask, but if you want to tinker with it yourself you still have to add the entry to the config file. P3D is still better off with one thread per physical core, so it generates an affinity mask that puts one thread on each physical core of a processor. If you have 4+ physical cores, the application will bump itself off of the first core to free up the processor for the OS and other applications. Thanks,

Zach Heylmun

Software Engineer - Prepar3D® Team