Sign in to follow this  
Valar

Feelings about Sim director

So has anyone had time to peek inside the Sim Director tool?

Personally I hope it will kindle a more, shall we say, fertile mission maker community. I always felt missions was an area with much unexploited potential in FSX. I also see it as a way to combat the sneaking boredom one sometimes feel with civilian sims because one have to be so damn creative to make it fun, if you know what I mean. Sometimes it is just easier to jump into a mission someone else have made.

I agree. Wish we saw more action in this forum. Early days yet, though.

I looked at it yesterday, for about a minute... Seems it's going to take a little more time than that to form an opinion, be it good or bad.

I've looked and cannot comment as it something that will need more than a few minutes to learn. Looks comprehensive on the surface.

Hi folks,

did anyone tried the simdirector? I did today. I built a simple mission where i fly in a Cera Bell 212 from NAS Pensacola to a destroyer with landable helipad (its the USS Sterett DDG 104 by Delta Sim)

Actually it was a bit of a hassle but it worked in the end. 

Greetz

MJ

My youtube blog________________________Prepar3D v2.5/v3

youtubefooter.jpg

Sounds like there might be reason to be optimistic.

Yeah i think so too. It is a bit of work to get into all these switches and actions etc. I never did anything like that before so getting into mission design by the LM learning center should do the trick. The GUI could need a bit of rework as it is not quite intuitive. Anyway it is just the beginning and way better than nothing.

Next time i try a carrier mission. Plan is to fly from KNPA to the Nimitz (freeware) land there, take off and get back to KNPA. I will choose the freeware S-2 Tracker. It is a nice and easy to handle plane and makes cable catches easy too. It will be a plain mission. Hope to get it right ;)

Greetz

MJ

youtubefooter.jpg

MJ

Been watching your progress -- I was familiar with FSX ME and I miss it, now that I have moved onto P3Dv2. Would really like some kind of improved GUI interface such as FSX ME.

I saw somewhere that it is possible to start SimDirector without starting the whole sim. Have you experimented with that at all? Was thinking it might be more convenient to try to build missions 'offline' that way.

MJ

Been watching your progress -- I was familiar with FSX ME and I miss it, now that I have moved onto P3Dv2. Would really like some kind of improved GUI interface such as FSX ME.

I saw somewhere that it is possible to start SimDirector without starting the whole sim. Have you experimented with that at all? Was thinking it might be more convenient to try to build missions 'offline' that way.

Hi Ripcord,

havent try the v2.4 Simdirector. Am currently messing around with the Observer Management but Simdirector is on top of my list. I built a mission but lost the source files during an update process. 

If Simdirector would start without the sim that would be really great. Gonna try it out as soon as i get back home 2morrow.

I Want to create a mission flying from KNPA to a destroyer then to an LHA and then to Choctaw NOLF. Am waiting for Deltasim to finish their LHA. I already have their DDH destroyer ship.

As far as my experience goes with Simdirector it was a bit of a hassle to go through all these menu points. I found it kinda complex. But in the end it worked somehow :)

Nevertheless i like it and will try it once again :)

Do you have plans to do a mission?

Greetz

MJ

youtubefooter.jpg

Well, at some point, yes I wanted to get proficient at creating missions in P3Dv2. I was building my skills in FSX, up until I hit a point where I just decided to dump FSX altogether and make the transition (a little earlier than I planned) to P3Dv2. I had been using FSX ME by Jim K and Instant Mission for FSX by Flight One.

I will look in to this as well. These kind of projects suit me. I enjoy bush flying, regional hauling, crop dusting, and Socal firefighting - so those would be the kind of missions I'd attempt. Also very interested in recording custom audio for immersion.

Good luck to everyone. I will share what I can as I progress.

I just took a quick look at it too... seems you start with a blank slate and build the entire thing? I may be way off base on that though. Gonna have to investigate further.

I promise to look at this too, but I am going to wait until 2.5 is released in the coming days (weeks?) Sim Director is getting a long list updates.

Man you weren't kidding about the whole list of improvements for Sim Director -- the list is a full page long. Honestly I look at this and wonder how anybody ever got it to work, if there really were THIS MANY bugs for it.

Would be nice to have a set of 3 or 4 basic flights or missions to use as templates. Take off, fly through a checkpoint, then go land someplace, something with the mission brief in tact alraedy and 'foundation' of the thing all set up. We can use that to edit and experiment with adding features and functions as we go along.