Sign in to follow this  
roarkr

Is anyone going back to FSX now after 2 days with P3Dv2?

FSX is now in the HISTORY BOOKS of flightsim( at least in my books)

I am very impressed by P3D and the LM developers.

My testing so far has been on my old PC with an Win8.1 - i7920 3GHz - GTX570 system.

It is butter smooth and solid, no issuses at all

Later today I will fire it up on my Win8.1 - i72600K - 4.5GHz GTX780 system and it is going to be just better.

Just wanted to make sure that FSX is now history in the flightsim evolution.

Is anyone going back to FSX now after 2 days with P3Dv2?

Please explain.

Roar Kristensen    www.flightsim4fun.com

P3Dv4 with Opencockpits hardware controlled by OC4BAv4 for immersive PMDG B737/777/747 flying

XPLANE 11 with Opencockpits hardware controlled by OC4BA_XP for immersive  B737 flying

rmMShli.jpg?1 WylQl0J.jpg?3

I haven't left FSX yet, I got P3D 2.0 mainly for support and hopefully it will turn to be good in the future. I did the same with XP10, but for now my fsx is running great and all the addons  I want are running great with good performance, looking forward for V2 as it gets more mature and bug free.

I formated my pc some days ago, and really dont wanted to start installing Fsx + tweaks + tweaks + more tweaks.

I just installed Prepar3d V2 and all is working smooth and perfect from the very first minute (I know there are some bugs. But it wiil be ok, resolved, or with some workaround in days, I think).

The planes I usually fly,  milviz cessna 310 and realair Lancair are working good (only miss some sounds in cockpit).

So, Im going to be here with Prepar. I really dont want to spend hours to install and setup and tweak and tweak FSX.

My PC is just... ok.   i7 2700k @ 4,5ghz   8Gb ram,  570gtx. 

The problem is my 30" 2560x1600 monitor. I need a new card. I can only fly at 1920x1200 at the moment.

But I know that if I get an 770 4g, or 780, It will be near perfect.

I will certainly keep flying FSX as I play with P3D. At 5760x1080 with two 570gtx's (my setup looks identical to yours _alioth_ accept for the extra card)  my machine still does better with FSX. Perhaps if I had a 780 based video card, or if I was willing to give up the "three screen" experience, I would be more willing to totally commit. Right now for me FSX is still somewhat better. But I am hopeful that in the near future P3D will be the choice. I am pleasantly surprised at how compatible my scenery and hardware are. Now to get the frame rates to the point where the sim delivers the same feel of smoothness as FSX does. And yes I am aware that a lower frame rate in 3PD delivers the same feel as a higher frame rate in FSX lol.

- Bill Magann

After 2 full days with P3D 2.0 I too am very, very happy with the new sim (despite the couple of bugs that I'm sure LM will resolve).    

I would definitely consider it my new main platform. :smile:

It is an amazing experience and one of the most special things is that you get to see a ton of new stuff, even when using your old (FSX) add-ons.  Example:   I flew the old feelThere ERJ145 v2 yesterday and although it is an old add-on it looked amazing with the cockpit shadows, and flying through the volumetric fog, and with the non-pop autogen, etc.

So you don't even need new add-ons to enjoy the new features of P3D 2.0.

That said, I am definitely not installing FSX at this point, as I will still be using it for the Majestic Q400, PMDG MD-11, and NGX.

But I would estimate that my P3D2 to FSX time spent ratio will now be about 4:1 in favour of P3D2.

Happy days!  :cool:

Don't see myself uninstalling FSXor P3D1 for quite a while yet. I still use FS2004 on occasion.

P3Dv2 is nice, but I have to turn down the settings to such a degree that even though I have cockpit shadows and HDR lighting, I prefer my dense autogen and AI settings in FSX and P3D1.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Early indications on our test system are very positive, although we are fortunate enough to be blessed with a Titan GPU, so clearly that is doing a lot of the heavy lifting. I installed the Q400 today and it works fine, apart from the clock, the FMS and the screens are black unless you undock them. Hopefully the Majestic guys or some other clever soul will come up with a fix soon as the aircraft flies beautifully and is smooth as silk in P3D. As a platform there are bugs to iron out and we all need to find the sweet spot with it but I'm hugely encouraged that we now have two modern, supported FS platforms (we also took the plunge with X Plane a week back) which both have significant strengths and a diminishing number of weaknesses

airline2sim_pilot_logo_360x.png?v=160882| Ben Weston www.airline2sim.com 

P3D V2 is a keeper. Two full days of flying, not one CTD. On my system the graphics look great even tho it can only handle low shadow setting. Of course, as a real test, now that the Eastonian Migration tool works with V2, I'll start adding more stuff and see how i performs.

Mario Di Lauro

I´m sure that P3D is the future, but for me it´s not "Flick one light On and the other light Off".

FSX is still on my hardrive and I expect to use it alot until more addons has been converted to P3D.

Graphically P3D is much better than FSX and I see much more autogen, better clouds and alot of other things getting the same FPS.

But comparing FPS between FSX and P3D is really hard, since FPS is effected much differently in P3D than in FSX.

I´m not able to get FPS to peak as high in P3D as I do in FSX (External view looking into the blue sky, but more important is that FPS in P3D is much more consistent and less dependable on how complex the scenery is.

And when FPS dips into th low 20th it still feels much more fluid than low 20th in FSX.

I´m sure that upcomming updates for P3D will even enhance visuals and performance positive

But FSX is not dead yet for me. I will gradually transfer to P3D as new addons, or old FSX addons are converted. For now its my favorite GA simulator.

FinnJ

System: i7-10700K, 32GB RAM, RTX2070S 8GB, 1TB SSD, 2 TB HDD, Win10 64bit Home

for me P3D 2 is not what i was hoping it can be...

as long as the aerosoft airbus is not working i have no fun with it cause i do no bushflying.

mytraffic seems to have a big impact (more then in FSX or p3d 1.x)

I'm back to fsx..for the moment..

Carsten U

yeah i have seen it. But for me the whole "bus" is kind of not smooth inside p3d 2. in fsx the bus performs much better. And despite the fact that one should not switch windows at the moment i get p3d crashes even when not going to fullscreen etc...

Carsten U

Never left.   I don't see anything new that I don't already have working properly in FSX and I did not like the thread I saw for add-ons and their issues with bringing them over from FSX.   I have invested way to much in to FSX.    I never jump on a New Release band wagon, whether it's technology (like the newly releaed X-Box One) or a video game.   I usually wait at least 6 months before I make the decision to jump in order to let bugs get crushed and for developers to create proper installers rather than Frankenstein installation procedures.   I am sure I will switch eventually but it's probably going to be a year for me.    For me, the old saying holds true in regards to my FSX installation;  "If it ain't broke don't fix it."

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

I am willing to give up on FSX-only addons and stay with P3DV2; it is that good. I will keep FSX installed in order to install and migrate addons, but that is it. I respect that some folks want to stay with FSX, but P3DV2 is the future.