Sign in to follow this  
roarkr

Is anyone going back to FSX now after 2 days with P3Dv2?

After ups and downs with V2, Im sure I wont be totally leaving FSX. Complicated aircraft still perform much better in FSX for me. If all I did was fly low level GA, I would be totally V2.....Kinda like FSX and FS9 was. :)

I went back to FSX and got a refund on P3D V2 (they were very cordial about it and were quick to respond).

My old Dell XPS runs FSX pretty well now. There are very few stutters, nice weather and clouds via OpusFSX and REX, ground textures look real enough with MSE, and the Feelthere ERJ gives me enough complexity to do what I like, and that is to fire it up, flip a few switches, plan a flight, taxi out and take off, spend a little time watching the scenery and clouds go by and land at my favorite airport with a little activity around me via Instant Scenery Maker.

I use two monitors and an array of GoFlight switches that add a little more realism.

That's it.

And you have to admit, except for a few flights with Vatsim, that's really the heart of this hobby.

I spend about an hour, max, then I go to my other hobbies or go outside and play.

I've spent all the big money I care to spend on the hobby (occasionally an addon here or there) and it gives me enough of a visceral feel for flying that I walk away a happy hobbiest.

I admit P3D is probably the future, with a move toward more efficient use of hardware and such, but for me to move on, I really need to get a new computer. But why would I want to buy a new computer to get from P3D what Im getting from FSX now?

Sure, maybe the scenery may look prettier and flight a little smoother, but beyond the Prep/Taxi/Takeoff/Cruise/Land scenario, really, there's not a lot more to this hobby that I can see, and I've been doing this since the days of Commodore 64.

I'm not against progress, and I could easily afford a new computer, but I have to put it in perspective, keep calm, and not get caught up in what I see as a runaway consumer culture that tells me I simply have to have the latest and greatest of something for no good reason.

So, Ill continue to enjoy this hobby and be content at my ripe old age of 62 to watch others build and tweak and calculate, to complain and praise, but until something major comes along (3D immersion and the wind in my hair, perhaps?) I'll just say, "No thanks for now."

... and so it goes.

Can anyone tell me if Ultimate Traffic 2 works fine in P3Dv2?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

After ups and downs with V2, Im sure I wont be totally leaving FSX. Complicated aircraft still perform much better in FSX for me. If all I did was fly low level GA, I would be totally V2.....Kinda like FSX and FS9 was. :)

It's funny isn't it, I was just thinking the same.     The flight sim hobby is so cyclical! .......... it's just like we're back in 2006 when FSX was released and although many could see the potential (and knew that it would go on to become what it became), most of us were only using it pretty 'lightly' at first, and still doing our complex stuff in FS9.   :smile:

I'm getting great performance with some complex airliner stuff already;  feelThere ERJs, QW Avros and Airbus X Extended;   all run better in P3D2 for me, than they did in FSX.    But I accept that none of those are true heavy hitters like the NGX, Coolsky DC-9, etc.        So will be interesting to see how the real heavy ones perform in the new sim.

the Feelthere ERJ gives me enough complexity to do what I like, and that is to fire it up, flip a few switches, plan a flight, taxi out and take off, spend a little time watching the scenery and clouds go by and land at my favorite airport

The feelThere ERJ is my long term favourite for exactly the same sort of flights as you've described there.   Although I've pimped mine up with new sounds; TSS HD pack but also some new switchgear sounds too ..... can't get enough of the ERJ :smile:

No.

Just try to take this new flightsim away from me!

Even if LM never updated P3D3, I would never go back to FSX.  Over the past 2 days I've had my best flightsim experience to date (and have been staying up WAY too late) . . . and I've been using flightsims since I was a little kid (I had an older brother who was really into flightsims). In the past two days, P3D2 has surpassed any other GA flightsim I have owned (including FSX and X-Plane 10). This one's a keeper for sure.

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

Still going to play FSX but not because of shortcomings by Preapr3d 2.0.  My favorite aircraft are mainly PMDG and I have the Majestic Q400 which is currently not compatible with 2.0.  So essentially I only have GA Carenado aircraft to fly on Prepar3d and I am a tubeliner :)

I'm loving P3d 2, but it's in a teething stage, especially with payware airplanes/sceneries. There are quite some bugs,CTDs to iron out. Most of these of course come from using FSX plane installers and pointing them to the P3d 2 folder. Just compatibility issues.

I think I will wait a little longer before P3d 2 can take over as my main simulator. Simply because It needs some patching, and 3rd Party devs need to iron out their content for P3d 2. I can't even log into VATSIM :(.  Until then I will be using last gen FSX.

David Zambrano, CFII, CPL, IGI

I know there's a lot of money in aviation because I put it there. 

BetaTeamD.png

In the past two days, P3D2 has surpassed any other GA flightsim I have owned (including FSX and X-Plane 10).

Including Flight...? Did you get that same wow-feeling already as Flight gave you when you flew through fog and clouds and the light was shimmering over the mountainridge? I wonder what kind of weather I should load and what time of day I should fly to check out that volumetric fog and so on.

In the past two days, P3D2 has surpassed any other GA flightsim I have owned

+1

Still going to play FSX but not because of shortcomings by Preapr3d 2.0.  My favorite aircraft are mainly PMDG and I have the Majestic Q400 which is currently not compatible with 2.0.  So essentially I only have GA Carenado aircraft to fly on Prepar3d and I am a tubeliner :)

Yes, I agree, I do have a bit of this problem too.  I couldn't uninstall FSX yes as I couldn't be happy without the PMDGs and the MJC Q400.

Q, just admit that your primary concern is which Michael Hall picture you are going to use for your next avatar. :O

I'm getting great performance with some complex airliner stuff already; feelThere ERJs, QW Avros and Airbus X Extended; all run better in P3D2 for me, than they did in FSX.

Wish that were the case with myself Dave but those aircraft, same as Ive tried when flying into JFK bad weather were worst than FSX, down ibn the teens with V2. Could be my crappy computer. :) I dont know yet about things!

Arwen, you chose the right time to invest in a new PC! :D

I'm still a year away from building a new rig, so I'll have to live in the past a while longer, but on the bright side, you folks will hopefully have ironed out all the bugs by then!

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Including Flight...? Did you get that same wow-feeling already as Flight gave you when you flew through fog and clouds and the light was shimmering over the mountainridge? I wonder what kind of weather I should load and what time of day I should fly to check out that volumetric fog and so on.

Including Flight. I, been flying P3D mostly out of my "home" airport (KHIE), which is at the base of NH's White Mountains. P3D was not bad with just its default scenery, but it is great with FTX Global! So far I like the Cold Front and Gathering Storms (or something like that) weather best . . . early morning (just after sunrise) or evening (just before sunset).  

For one thing, I could never fly near my home with Flight. Plus now I have all the things that Flight lacked ... AI aircraft (and other traffic), ATC, a Flight Planner, and the ability to add 3rd party addons (like FTX Global and my A2A Piper Cub).

~ Arwen ~

AI aircraft (and other traffic)

Does airport and road traffic, as well as boats and ships, still work in Prepar3D 2.0? How's the performance?

Arwen, you chose the right time to invest in a new PC! :D

I'm still a year away from building a new rig, so I'll have to live in the past a while longer, but on the bright side, you folks will hopefully have ironed out all the bugs by then!

Yes I did! But I didn't have much choice, as my +6-year old beast decided that it was time to die in July.  I was planning on waiting a few more months, but I came out ahead in the end.

I'm sorry that you have to wait a bit longer, but (for me at least) the wait was totally worth it.

Does airport and road traffic, as well as boats and ships, still work in Prepar3D 2.0? How's the performance?

I haven't seen too much boat traffic, as most of my flights have been in the mountains so far (I'm pretty sure that there were a number of AI boats in Boston harbor, when I flew into Logan).  But the road traffic is definitely there, and it doesn't seem to be much of a FPS hit (I have traffic set around 30%).

I actually saw my first flock of birds last night. :)

~ Arwen ~