Sign in to follow this  
roarkr

Is anyone going back to FSX now after 2 days with P3Dv2?

Yeah. Good reply Howard. Your posts reminds me of my first wife (highlights added by myself) - eventually traded in for a better model. Luckily she had plenty of soul and to this day remains my best friend. I just can't go back there. :lol: :lol:

Lol, lol...

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Howard, I wanted to give you an 'Agree' a 'Like' and a 'Funny' but the miserable buggers only let you have one! <_<

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Rockliffe, are you a Zen Master or something?

I just have to re-read this old forgotten book:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zen_and_the_Art_of_Motorcycle_Maintenance

In an example of the classical approach, Pirsig explains to the reader that one must pay continual attention: when the Narrator and his friends came into Miles City, Montana [3]he notices that the "engine idle is loping a little," a possible indication that the fuel/air mixture is too rich. The next day he is thinking of this as he is going through his ritual to adjust the valves on his cycle's engine. During the adjustment, he notes that both spark plugs are black, confirming a rich mixture. He recognizes that the feel-good-higher-altitude-mountain-air is causing the engine to run rich. New jets are purchased, and installed, and with the valves adjusted, the engine runs well again.

With this, the book details two types of personalities: those who are interested mostly in gestalts (romantic viewpoints, such as Zen, focused on being "In the moment", and not on rational analysis), and those who seek to know the details, understand the inner workings, and master the mechanics (classic viewpoints with application of rational analysis, vis-a-vis motorcycle maintenance) and so on.

P3D/FSX and Zen, perfect match!

Howard, I wanted to give you an 'Agree' a 'Like' and a 'Funny' but the miserable buggers only let you have one! <_<

Sod em Ron, Lol Lol

Rockliffe, are you a Zen Master or something?

With this, the book details two types of personalities: those who are interested mostly in gestalts (romantic viewpoints, such as Zen, focused on being "In the moment", and not on rational analysis), and those who seek to !

Ahh so, grasshopper...

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

@ Rockliffe, great post

@ Anz121, that is what I call 'reading between the lines!'

Have a great day, gentlemen.

Craig.

It's just slowly sinking in that ESP is moving forward... I mean. I obviously always "knew it" as I've seen 1.3, 1.4 and now 2.0 grace my desktop. Not until recently did it click "holy cow, this is really happening"..  Seeing new options and actually being able to ask a developer of the product what it does. Not only get an answer but a lengthy fully detailed tech answer..  Reading their forum and seeing Beu, Adam, Zach, and Wes answering questions and engaging their customers.. A lot of folks studied FSX hard and came up with their own ideas and conclusions but it's sooo nice to hear facts from developers themselves and engage with them and not have to take the word of an "FSX Expert"...

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Goodness!  Why not just keep them both installed, no room on the drive?  

Man oh man, I apparently did not give XP 10 enough of a trial.  I installed it as a demo just a few weeks ago and wow it just didn't seem very impressive at all!  And yet, I know others really like it.  

The 15 minute limit is a real bummer, no time at all for newbies to figure out how to set it up. Especially frustrating if you know that you can get it to look great!

P3D2.2 is great so far.. 2 days in..

Waiting on full SLi-support, but with 2 x GTX690 it runs smooth as water, setting 60 FPS.

Still got FSX installation on images on my spare HDD's so i can get back up with in one hour or so.

For me going to p3d is like going backwards..i mean i am happy that flight sim bas progressed..but now it means we will have to keep pulling our sliders back..like playing fsx in 2006..while fsx works with all sliders maxed ..

Pankaj, that's just an artificial construct.  Where the sliders are don't matter, the experience does.

I have both installed, still, and use them differently.  I don't add-on to P3Dv2, I use it as is, and it's great, as is.  It is its own intrinsic experience.  Here and there I might add in ORBX scenery, as they've been updating their whole library to be P3DV2 compatible.

But the "zen" of P3Dv2 is in enjoying what's there, rather than desiring "more" in some sense.  Take what is at hand and have fun with it. Learn its own nature. Don't cross with expectations from other flight sims; they all do things differently and have different strengths, and weaknesses.

Only thing keeping me away from P3d is the Addons, and my beloved PMDG777. Some of the WX features like volumetric fog and VC shadows are tempting

spacer.png

MSI Codex 5 10SC-262UK Desktop PC - Intel Core i7-10700, RTX 2060 Graphics, 16GB RAM, 2TB HDD, 256GB SSD.

Pankaj, that's just an artificial construct.  Where the sliders are don't matter, the experience does.

I have both installed, still, and use them differently.  I don't add-on to P3Dv2, I use it as is, and it's great, as is.  It is its own intrinsic experience.  Here and there I might add in ORBX scenery, as they've been updating their whole library to be P3DV2 compatible.

But the "zen" of P3Dv2 is in enjoying what's there, rather than desiring "more" in some sense.  Take what is at hand and have fun with it. Learn its own nature. Don't cross with expectations from other flight sims; they all do things differently and have different strengths, and weaknesses.

Well said.

For me going to p3d is like going backwards..i mean i am happy that flight sim bas progressed..but now it means we will have to keep pulling our sliders back..like playing fsx in 2006..while fsx works with all sliders maxed ..

The sliders in Prepar3Dv2.2 are not the same "levels" as those in FSX. To put it in simpler terms, the difference is like the volume you get from a small television's speaker and a 200 watt home theater system. There is simply NO comparison...

Maybe 1/2 sliders in P3Dv2.2 is roughly the same as FULL sliders in FSX.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Back around.. I haven't ran Prepar3D since 2.0.. The bugs just killed me.. Decided to walk away and come back later.. 2.2 seems to be leaps and bounds better than the initial 2.0 offering.. I see they changed the registry location so a lot of Airports don't even recognize Prepar3D anymore.. No big deal, I'm mostly running Vanilla anyway..

So far so good.. 

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors