Sign in to follow this  
roarkr

Is anyone going back to FSX now after 2 days with P3Dv2?

After a couple of days of initial exploration and tuning, I'm convinced that P3D v2 will be my main sim platform very soon.

However, I'm not yet ready to do without FSX.  Like others, I'm finding that the two sims are providing different experiences right now.  FSX is a mature, fully understood platform that I can use for "you-are-there" simming.  P3D v2 is still experimental.  Before I cut over completely, I need to find out more about how it works, tweak it a bit, and wait for my favorite add-ons to become fully compatible.

Right now, I'm working with P3D pretty much the way I worked with the FSX DX10 tweaks.  I'm in a stage where it's clear that old settings don't apply, and I don't yet know what the best new settings are.  Thanks to the community, I've managed to get my visual house mostly in order (FXAA off, MSAA at 8 samples, and 4xSGSS in NVidia Inspector - thanks, J van E and others!)  

That said, I took the Carenado A36 for a flight over Manhattan last night with FTX Global on board, nearly all sliders right (autogen and scenery complexity at Very Dense), water at ultra, most shadows on, AI traffic at 20 percent, 8 percent road traffic and 30 percent water traffic (I like boats), fair weather theme, frames locked at 40, and got steady, smooth performance in the mid-20s.  To me, that's staggering.  In FSX, even with my current rig (specs at left), New York City was a complete black hole - I would have struggled to get 10-12 frames in a default aircraft with the same settings.  

Which is why I'm convinced P3D is the future.

Have got more work to do, of course.  It still seems there's a tradeoff between heavy clouds (via Opus) and shadows - I struggled a bit over Washington, DC in overcast and rain, until I chose either lower cloud density (not satisfying) or shadows off.  I suspect I'm going to have to beef up my video card to either a 780 ti or a Titan.  And it'll be nice when LM and NVidia work out the AA, which is still a bit shabby.

But that Manhattan flight - wow!

So basically, I'm Prepar3d.

YMMV.

Not interested, but hey, more power to em. For me, I can't do the "rent" thing. I got enough monthly bills. AKA, death by a thousand cuts.

I guess I'm with the not broken don't fix it crowd.

The "Future". Yea. Yesterday is the past, tomorrow is the future, but everyday is a gift. That's why it's called the present; Bil Keane.

Plus now I have all the things that Flight lacked ... AI aircraft (and other traffic), ATC, a Flight Planner, and the ability to add 3rd party addons (like FTX Global and my A2A Piper Cub).

How did you install your A2A Piper Cub?

Best regards from RelaxX

I wonder what kind of weather I should load and what time of day I should fly to check out that volumetric fog and so on.

Use Opus or Open Weather and go to your precious Norway :smile: ... I was in Stavanger yesterday (in P3D!) and the volumetric fog was plentiful.  :cool:

How did you install your A2A Piper Cub?

This is now in the P3D V2 Master Compatibility List

"A2A Piper Cub--works in P3D2--place copy of Prepar3d.exe renamed fsx.exe into P3D's root folder then run installer(Arwen)"

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

Just wanted to make sure that FSX is now history in the flightsim evolution.

Now why would you want to do that? You should enjoy yourself, not concern yourself with decisions others make. You'll end up spoiuling your own enjoyment or that of otheres if you care too much about that ...

Sascha

Is there a bathysphere in P3D?  And if so, has anybody gone underwater with it? 

It's in there, and you can even set it as your vehicle (pick a water airport), but it doesn't work and there's no cockpit. 

There's even a mission for it, which loads, but all the sub does is sink to the bottom.

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

I'm not going back to FSX. Ever.

Better change your profile then ;)

Better change your profile then ;)

LOL Done! ^_^

I'll keep FSX for all of my Airline flying IE PMDG 737ngx and PMDG 777 at least until they are on P3D and aren't priced too high for a crossover license. But for GA I'm fully P3D I can't wait for ORBX PNW and airports to work with it.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

This is now in the P3D V2 Master Compatibility List

"A2A Piper Cub--works in P3D2--place copy of Prepar3d.exe renamed fsx.exe into P3D's root folder then run installer(Arwen)"

Bingo! B) Thanks a lot Arwen. You can get a job in the A2A support department. :lol:

Best regards from RelaxX

Had to go back to FSX with Air Hauler to make a living. Aftr 3 days of flying nothing but V2. I dont see one heck of a difference besides better performance with FSX. But I may use it differently than others.

Including Flight.

I said I wanted a flight simulator that flew like flight in the performance stakes and gave me the essentials that FSX had. V2 does that.

There are still aspects of flight that I'm hooked on and for that reason it's staying. I can t compare some of these things in P3D because my PC isn't capable of running it at max settings.

To go back to FSX and be satisfied I would find extremely difficult now. Yes my NGX is their and at 35000ft it flys exactly the same as P3D but that is not the point.

FSX is staying for now, but only until I can transition what I need to P3D and have everything working. - then its bye bye old friend.

To go back to FSX and be satisfied I would find extremely difficult now.

That's my problem too. ^_^ Today wasn't a really good day for me and P3D but now I've seen what is possible, I can't imagine going back to FSX.