Sign in to follow this  
roarkr

Is anyone going back to FSX now after 2 days with P3Dv2?

I am very pleased that so many are not looking back after trying V2, one mystery for me though is how quickly simmers can just walk away from some of the great aircraft that are only availalbe on the old platform.  I just could not leave behind my ConcordeX ,  Q400 !!!  and to a lesser extent the PMDG products.  Here is hoping they make the transition over to V2 rather quickly so I can hop on board.

In some ways V2 seems like a beta product w/ a few bugs it is displaying here and there, but it's very hard to pull away from.  I had been really enjoying getting FSX setup perfectly on my newish build and it runs quite well.  I did a flight last evening just to fly in something other than the very weak default planes in V2, took up the T7 from KPHX>KSFO, but found myself terminating the flight about 80nm's out as I wanted to get back and play around a little more w/ you know what!  Thanks to Dave for mentioning the migration tool.  I am very anxious to try the RA T-Duke and see how it performs and if it does well I may have a real hard time looking back too!   Very weird because really, FSX is fabulous for me already.  I think if money's tight and it's running well on your hardware one can easily argue one can stay w/ it and hold of on V2.  

I really won't know how V2 performs until heavier aircraft are installed, and while I'm hopeful I don't have reason to assume it's a given, not at all.  I did a test yesterday as well at the easy to process area, my  former hometown KSBA, w/ bloom ON in FSX in a default light twin, and frames were every bit as high as in V2 in a similar plane.  But the scenery was definitely different despite both sims use FTXG.  Visual clarity, 3d light distance visible, freeway traffic much more, much smoother in V2.  In fact road traffic is always a bit jerky in FSX, not so  in V2.  It's not 100% perfect, but truly much much better.  I also loaded up LA area w/ 100% road traffic and looking at the LA freeway system at night w/ LOD at 6.5 was amazing!  Looked very much like the real thing, but performance was taxed for sure that's one heck of a lot of moving road traffic but still saw frames in the mid 30's, but that's w/ a very light aircraft.   We'll see soon how it really handles heavier airplanes starting w/ the T-Duke which suffered from mouse pointer penalty in FSX.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

I am very pleased that so many are not looking back after trying V2, one mystery for me though is how quickly simmers can just walk away from some of the great aircraft that are only availalbe on the old platform.............  Q400 !!!

Hey Mark, great news ......... The MJC Q400 works perfectly in P3D2.... You just need to uncheck the "MipMaps in VC" option in P3D's display settings.   :smile:

How does RA T-Duke run for you on V2?

Hi Noel, T-Duke runs great (only a quick circuit to test it).  Only some cockpit sounds are missing.  Hopefully RealAir will make it fully compatible! :cool:

Yes I did! But I didn't have much choice, as my +6-year old beast decided that it was time to die in July.  I was planning on waiting a few more months, but I came out ahead in the end.

I'm sorry that you have to wait a bit longer, but (for me at least) the wait was totally worth it.

I haven't seen too much boat traffic, as most of my flights have been in the mountains so far (I'm pretty sure that there were a number of AI boats in Boston harbor, when I flew into Logan).  But the road traffic is definitely there, and it doesn't seem to be much of a FPS hit (I have traffic set around 30%).

I actually saw my first flock of birds last night. :)

I ONLY see road traffic(vehicles) on  MAJOR interstate expressways, slider set to 100%.  No vehicles on any other roads in my experience.  In FSX I see them everywhere at 25%..

I ONLY see road traffic(vehicles) on  MAJOR interstate expressways, slider set to 100%.  No vehicles on any other roads in my experience.  In FSX I see them everywhere at 25%.

Yeah, another indicator V2 does have a real 'beta' feel to it, and in some ways, 'alpha'!  

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Hey Mark, great news ......... The MJC Q400 works perfectly in P3D2.... You just need to uncheck the "MipMaps in VC" option in P3D's display settings.

I heard that the displays (PFD, MFD, FMC) only work undocked, and are black otherwise? Is this not true?  I was holding off trying to install the Q400 for that reason, but I'd also heard they're working on an update to ensure full P3D compatibility.

In some ways V2 seems like a beta product w/ a few bugs it is displaying here and there, but it's very hard to pull away from.

True on both counts.  I don't mind being a 'beta tester' in essence though, since the result will be worth it.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

I purchased and installed P3D 2.0 this morning and to be honest, I'm underwhelmed. My biggest issue is with FPS which I have not been able to get near what I have with FSX. I did notice that even though the FPS was low (low teens), there was no stuttering at all and the planes were flyable. 

Good thing I have 60 days to figure it out before returning it.

I heard that the displays (PFD, MFD, FMC) only work undocked, and are black otherwise? Is this not true?  I was holding off trying to install the Q400 for that reason, but I'd also heard they're working on an update to ensure full P3D compatibility.

........that was before they discovered the issue was with P3D's native VC mipmapping.  As long as that is checked off, it works perfectly  :wink:

I purchased and installed P3D 2.0 this morning and to be honest, I'm underwhelmed. My biggest issue is with FPS which I have not been able to get near what I have with FSX. I did notice that even though the FPS was low (low teens), there was no stuttering at all and the planes were flyable. 

Chris, my first experience with P3D 2.0 was with the default situation and settings, and 9 FPS !!! ........ After 24 hours, I was flying the Airbus Extended with max autogen, tons of heavy weather and cockpit shadows, from payware airports, and getting 40 FPS ...... it really does take some configuring despite what anyone says.  But if you have a decent GPU with 2 GB, you can certainly get it cooking.

The problem is likely that you're running it on a relatively low end GPU. Unlike FSX, P3D really benefits from a top-end video card. Try turning off shadows to start with.

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

Chris, my first experience with P3D 2.0 was with the default situation and settings, and 9 FPS !!! ........ After 24 hours, I was flying the Airbus Extended with max autogen, tons of heavy weather and cockpit shadows, from payware airports, and getting 40 FPS ...... it really does take some configuring despite what anyone says.  But if you have a decent GPU with 2 GB, you can certainly get it cooking.

Dave,

Thanks for the reply. I hope I can replicate your experience!!

My GPU has 2GB of memory and according to nVidia inspector, pretty much all of it is being used which is interesting as that never happened in FSX.

Did you tweak the cfg file were your tweaks just to the sliders?

The problem is likely that you're running it on a relatively low end GPU. Unlike FSX, P3D really benefits from a top-end video card. Try turning off shadows to start with.

Thanks for the tip, I'll try that.

........that was before they discovered the issue was with P3D's native VC mipmapping. As long as that is checked off, it works perfectly :wink:

That is awesome news.  I know what I'll be flying tonight.  I don't know - to be honest I only have a few major planes left outside of P3D. Milviz 732, B-55, F-86.  Other than the F1 B200 of course, which sadly will probably get pretty lonely in FSX. I love the plane, but I doubt I'll be visiting FSX that often after being spoiled by P3D.

I'll be pretty much fully migrated quicker than I thought.

Did you tweak the cfg file were your tweaks just to the sliders?

The only .cfg tweak I've heard people have had success with is the AffinityMask.  And that seems to be situational, it had absolutely no effect for me.  My 'tweaks' have been purely within P3D via sliders.  Kind of refreshing!

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Can I just ask.....is the version of the Migration Tool available from SimMarket the updated one for use with P3Dv2?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Just get the tool, and sit back and relax.   :smile:

the Estonia tool is not 100% with some addons, even if it installs them correctly.  The errors show up later in the sim like: sound, graphics, fatal errors and other issues.  I had the tool but now I wait for payware to be P3D 1.4 / 2.0 Certified.

I am very pleased that so many are not looking back after trying V2, one mystery for me though is how quickly simmers can just walk away from some of the great aircraft that are only availalbe on the old platform. I just could not leave behind my ConcordeX , Q400 !!! and to a lesser extent the PMDG products. Here is hoping they make the transition over to V2 rather quickly so I can hop on board.

TBO I didn't know how I would feel and if I would be able to stick with it. Around the time of the free trial of v1.4 I gave it a go and it just didn't have any plus points that would make me go through all the hassle of migrating everything from FSX.

I remembered that experience when I was installing v2

First experiences were very disappointing. My frame rate was not what I was expecting. I soon learned that the reported frame rate bore no relationship to how the sim performed. I was comparing it to FSX frame rates.

Without rambling on, my experience is the difference between driving the car I had 10 years ago and the one I have now. Or, running FSX on the computer I had when it first came out. I know some will say that's an over exaggeration, but its something that you have to experience and see at first hand.

Today, I moved the traffic slider to 50% autogen at max and set the time to dawn. Loaded New York with shadows on and experienced a wow moment.

At EGLL (Uk2000 extreme) in FSX (which always brings my FSX to its knees) with my scenery and autogen sliders at normal and dense, no shadows traffic at 10% I'm lucky to get 8fps. The flight in New York this morning was butter smooth and I've never ever seen so many buildings and autogen.

We each need different things out of a sim to make the flying feel real. P3D v2 makes it feel real for me. FSX which has my beloved 737 doesn't feel real (not the plane, FSX) so how can I revert?

We each need different things out of a sim to make the flying feel real. P3D v2 makes it feel real for me.

Exactly.  The smoothness that I've experienced thus far in P3Dv2 has upped the 'real' factor for me beyond what I felt in FSX, to the point where it will be hard to fly in FSX.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

I don't think those with FS9 are offended but rather rejoicing.  They finally have something they can move to and get all the cool new add-ons with little or no hassle.  FS9er's for the most part might agree with the statement and embrace it as the whole reason we're still using FS9 is because FSX is such a dog (No offence to real dogs, mine just bit me on the leg as I was typing this :blink: ).

Never moved to FSX and glad P3D is there now...