Sign in to follow this  
Q_flyer

The thing with P3D2 and OOMs is .......

No Brian LOL

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

Well I edited it slightly anyway  :P

It's late, and I can see how it might have been a bit brash.

My apologies.

Regards,

Brian Doney

Story of my life.. I think something is funny and hilarious.. (because it is) then realize moments later "Oof, maybe not everyone has my sense of humor" 

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Story of my life.. I think something is funny and hilarious.. (because it is) then realize moments later "Oof, maybe not everyone has my sense of humor" 

Indeed.

In addition to really trying to put some good info out almost constantly the past few days, I guess a bit flipped  :P

Regards,

Brian Doney

Not a single OOM yet, still about 1GB away from OOM with these settings:

Tried US Cities X San Francisco, no OOM and 2.5X fps improvement.  Finally got FTX Global loaded (nothing related to P3Dv2) and no OOM.  MSE California v2.0 even less memory usage, no OOM.  On to FSDT KLAX next to see what that does.

146f7e7a96521fa8823bd10c6003776b.jpg

VRAM usage is high, finally went over 3GB today.  Shadows seem to be the performance killer, if I move from High to Ultra, I'll see inconsistant fps rather than a close to solid 30 fps.

Also nVidia settings will produce a strange result with the menu bar ... if it's active (visible) I see about a 30% drop in fps, when it's not visible back up 30%.

EDIT: should update, on Water Reflections I have ALL items checked now, didn't make much of an fps difference.

Let's just be realistic, we are still in beta-fase, and all users of prepar3d v2 are still beta-testers.

It happened with fsx, pmdg737,777, prepar3d v1.4.

It's in this fase that more and more people are using it, so the development team gets more and more data.

It will take at least 6 months before the major parts of the bugs and faults are repaired.

TvD

Let's just be realistic, we are still in beta-fase, and all users of prepar3d v2 are still beta-testers.

I voted your other post (just like this one) dumb, in fact it looks like you felt the need to be heard and started a new thread.  So I'll be rude and vote this one dumb too.

If you are looking for perfection in software, good luck with that.  But there again, you haven't purchased or used P3Dv2 soooooo....

P3Dv2 has not crashed on me at all and I've even been tossing FSX products at it that weren't designed for P3Dv2.  It's amazing it hasn't crashed or OOM.

When you are running a 5GHZ NASA supercomputer with the best card on the market I hope you aren't having any OOMs. I didn't, no crashes either but it just looks worse than FSX .

Also nVidia settings will produce a strange result with the menu bar ... if it's active (visible) I see about a 30% drop in fps, when it's not visible back up 30%.

Rob, what do you mean by nVidia settings?  Inspector settings don't seem to function correctly as they did in DX9 and I know this is known by LM:

Why aren’t NVIDIA driver overrides aren’t working?
Rest assured that we aren’t disabling these on purpose. We want all our users to have the broadest set up tweaks and tools at their disposal to get the most out of Prepar3D v2. We’ve been working with NVIDIA to try to track this down. Some of the overrides may not actually work with any D3D11 application. Thus far, NVIDIA has not given us any feedback to indicate that we need to do anything more on our end to enable these overrides. We will keep working with them to resolve the issue. For now, most driver overrides won’t work.

Also, V2 seems to easily 'lose focus' and this is manifested by instant drop in GPU utilization and so frame rate as well:

My FPS dropped. What happened?
Click on the main app window and it should go back up. We have some known issues where the main app window loses focus after clicking on UI windows, context menus, and undocked prepar3D windows. The operating system the treats Prepar3D as a background app and throttles the application causing a drop in FPS and GPU utilization.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

The bottom line is the sooner the conversion to 64 bit happens the better.

Simmer's would simply latch onto something else to gripe about... :Cry:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I voted your other post (just like this one) dumb, in fact it looks like you felt the need to be heard and started a new thread.  So I'll be rude and vote this one dumb too.

If you are looking for perfection in software, good luck with that.  But there again, you haven't purchased or used P3Dv2 soooooo....

P3Dv2 has not crashed on me at all and I've even been tossing FSX products at it that weren't designed for P3Dv2.  It's amazing it hasn't crashed or OOM.

I'm going to pull the trigger on that Titan tomorrow. Do you use multi monitors? I will eventually be undocking FMC's and engine gauges to a separate monitor, am curious as to how bad to perfomance hit will be.

One last thing, what kind of perfomance do you get at 1920 x 1080?

Cheers

Rob Prest

Simmer's would simply latch onto something else to gripe about...

Exactly, it's getting ridiculous when you see people grip about a product they don't have nor have ever used ... and that's when I hit the dumb vote trigger. 

Rob, what do you mean by nVidia settings?  Inspector settings don't seem to function correctly as they did in DX9 and I know this is known by LM

nVidia inspector does have an impact on the visuals and how P3Dv2 performs, sometimes it's a negative impact, but I can assure you it does influence P3Dv2.  I can't remember which setting in NI but one or more of them would cause the menu in P3Dv2 to operate very slowly and made the text look thin and ragged ... like it was trying to apply AA/AF to the menu system which should be excluded from all AA/AF.  

But I agree, NI can produce results that are "not as expected" ... LM will need to work with nVidia and AMD directly to either work a solution on their side, or get nVidia to adjust their drivers flags/settings to work well with P3Dv2.  It'll be difficult for LM to get nVidia/AMD priority since they aren't selling to a massive market like you see with typical 3D shooters.  BUT, the nVidia/AMD information exchange process is normal for most games/simulations ... example, when CoD Ghosts of BF4 were released, there is often a driver update either before the game is released to address issues or on the day of release (big name titles).  For the lesser titles (of which P3Dv2 falls into) they'll be in a priority queue with the nVidia/AMD engineers -- and the exchange of information starts (at least in theory).

Also agree that P3Dv2 has some issues, but so does FSX, XP10.  Heck FSX went thru two major SP's (over a couple of years) ... I find it ironic that people are complaining about P3Dv2 which is effectively a major new product release and then suggest FSX is perfect?  At least with LM, we have a code update path ... we don't with Microsoft who appear to be doing their best to kill flight simulation and entertainment software for the desktop.

Do you use multi monitors?

I have multiple monitors, but for P3Dv2 I only use one at 2560 x 1600.  The plan is to move to a single 4K monitor (3840 x 2160) when/if P3DV2.1 comes out with SLi/Crossfire utilization.

One last thing, what kind of perfomance do you get at 1920 x 1080?

I've never run at this resolution since it's not native to my HP LP3065 monitor, sorry can't give you any data.

Rob

Simmer's would simply latch onto something else to gripe about... :Cry:

This is true.  I guess for me, the primary source of frustration is the OOM.  I have the hardware... but I to deal with the VAS limitation.

That implies all the VRAM can't be used in FSX?

No...it implies that all of the VRAM can't be used by FSX.  It's not just a semantic difference.

Keep in mind that VRAM (a lot of it) is also used internally by the GPU for the post-processing (AA, AF) being done by thousands of parallel graphics processors.  So even though the video frame buffer built by FSX may only use 0.5-1GB of VRAM, the GPU itself is also using a sizeable block of VRAM as working RAM to do its magic once it has grabbed the frame buffer and is ready for post-processing.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case