Sign in to follow this  
FlyIce

Blurry texture in P3D v2

I have this annoying blurry texture loading problem in P3D2. Some times it's obvious that P3D2 is struggling to load the texture fast enough, but more than half of the time it almost seems that P3D2 forgets to load full texture.

For instance, in cockpit view I see all ground textures are ok, then I pause the flight and switch to several external views like spot or aircraft camera. In some views the ground textures are really blurry. I have to wait forever for them to be fully loaded. Also when I switch back to cockpit view those ground textures may become blurry too.

It also happens in normal flights. Last night I was flying extra 300 from KSFO to downtown San Francisco. It's a steady flight but I still get blurry ground textures in downtown. Even I pause the sim, nothing happens until almost a minute later the textures are finally loaded.

I have a pretty beefy PC so I set most sliders to the max. But I feel this is not due to the speed of my computer, but the algorithm how P3D2 decides when to load texture?

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

and switch to several external views like spot or aircraft camera

If you were to write a tutorial up on how to create blurry textures... That is all you would need to do.  Switching cameras frequently is going to do that. And depending on how high your settings are.. Yes it can be bad.. 

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

I have a pretty beefy PC so I set most sliders to the max. But I feel this is not due to the speed of my computer, but the algorithm how P3D2 decides when to load texture?

You're gonna have a bad time.

No, really, that's not going to work. You need to back off and tailor the settings to your system, and full right is a bad fit.

Regards,

Brian Doney

Good to know that! I had little problem with textures when switching cameras in FSX so I wasn't aware too much about this issue.

You're gonna have a bad time.

No, really, that's not going to work. You need to back off and tailor the settings to your system, and full right is a bad fit.

I can understand if P3D2 simply couldn't keep up loading textures when I'm flying low and fast, but why such a long delay on loading textures even I pause the sim?

It isn't P3D2 that cant keep up, it is your machine that cant keep up with max settings.

Regards,

Brian Doney

There's an affinity mask tweak to add to your .cfg file.  If you do a search you'll find it.  It completely solved the problem for me.  Although, I'm a long way from maxed setttngs. 

Michael Cependa

Developer Aerosoft DC-8

I don't buy that. Right now I have 20-30fps with my current setting and it's pretty smooth with V-sync and triple buffering, unlimited fps. I have been flying and tweaking FSX for a quite some years so it's not that I just blindly setting everything to max. I have constantly been playing with all the settings in P3D2.

If P3D2 can keep the same ground textures sharp more than 50% of the time I'm flying low at 25fps, it shouldn't take more than a minute to reload these textures when I PAUSE the sim.

I don't buy that. 

Your blurry textures proves otherwise though..   And.. This isn't FSX.. Different ball game entirely..

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

I don't buy that. Right now I have 20-30fps with my current setting and it's pretty smooth with V-sync and triple buffering, unlimited fps. I have been flying and tweaking FSX for a quite some years so it's not that I just blindly setting everything to max. I have constantly been playing with all the settings in P3D2.

If P3D2 can keep the same ground textures sharp more than 50% of the time I'm flying low at 25fps, it shouldn't take more than a minute to reload these textures when I PAUSE the sim.

If you know better, why ask the question ?

You can "buy" whatever you like, it wont change the situation. Your machine cannot keep up with P3D2 maxed out. 

I can only imagine what max tessellation + max shadows are doing to that poor 780.

Regards,

Brian Doney

There's an affinity mask tweak to add to your .cfg file.  If you do a search you'll find it.  It completely solved the problem for me.  Although, I'm a long way from maxed setttngs. 

I tried that already. It didn't help in my scenario. An interesting observation is that once I set affinity mask to 15, core 0 goes 100%, but core 1-3 most of time are running almost exactly 60-70%. So it appears on my machine P3D2 can only use equivalently full three cores. 

In terms of settings, I have most slides in graphics, scenery and lighting maxed out, except for shadow at high or medium, and couple other things one notch down. And I didn't tick everything for water reflection etc. Traffic is overall between 30%-60%.

Brian, I'm asking the question b/c I think here at AVSIM there are always someone knows better than me. I essentially asked a specific question why some time P3D2 almost seems to forget to load ground texture. However, if you can't provide any more specific points other than keep saying my machine is maxed out etc, can we just stop here? Thanks!

Not really, no.

P3D2 isn't "forgetting to load" anything.

Your. Machine. Cannot. Keep. Up.

That IS the answer, as everyone in this thread has basically said. That you feel personally offended by that or whatever is of no consequence.

Until proper SLI/CFX support is available, and/or GPUs a good 2-3 times as powerful as your 780 are on the market, max settings will challenge any machine, not just yours.

With that, I will leave it alone. If you refuse to heed what we're telling you, that's on you, not P3D2.

Regards,

Brian Doney

Sorry Brian, you think you have the answer, but that's not what I want. I know that I can always turn down the sliders and get over 60fps smooth with sharp textures.

I would like to hear if some one can explain why texture loading in P3D2 can be so inconsistent when I'm flying a pretty smooth 20-30fps with my current settings. This is not to bash P3D2, as I love it totally and am not going back to FSX.

Holy heck at those settings.  I wouldn't even think of that for normal use let alone actually do it.. Don't get me wrong. I've done it to see the breaking point and.. It indeed broke... Traffic at 60%? Insanity. 

And changing that AM setting made Core 0 100% because by default Prepar3D leaves Core 0 alone to let Windows have plenty of room to do what it needs to do on the backend of things to keep Prepar3D running..  Your setting basically made that null and void, opening all cores for Prepar3Ds taking and  stacked Prepar3D workload on top of Windows workload.. 

I only tested AM=15 once and already switched back to default AM which runs P3D2 on core 1-3. It appears to work better.

In P3D2 traffic is much lighter than FSX. 60% road traffic would easily kill FSX, but not so much in P3D, partly b/c P3D appears to limit cars only on major highways. Anyway, I set cars to 30%, but ships/boats to 60% as I hardly see a few of them on the sea anyway.

By the way, I mostly fly small planes VFR in sunny days so I'm leaning more to the eye candies. I know with sth like 737NGX and complex airports, weather etc that'll be a very different story

*waves white flag*.. I'm with Brian...  I've been wrong a lot.. No shame in that..  As long as you learn something from it being wrong can be good.. 

You're wrong... Your settings are out of control and you just refuse to see it.. Ship and boat traffic at 60%? There is a reason they are 0% by default..   I'm done here myself. I just can't..