Sign in to follow this  
yidahoo

X-Plane.org

I really wish there was someway of getting the word out that x-plane.org is not the official forums of X-Plane. Was just reading this thread and was disgusted by the snarky comment from one of the well known mods. The two X-Plane newbies who post beneath are both suprised and upset by the comments and seem to believe that the forum is x-plane official. Real shame, as this sort of attitude is what is losing X-Plane and ironically the .org business.

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?showtopic=72391

Hope I am not breaking any rules with this, please delete if I have

Jason E Row

Follow me on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/user/JasonRowPhotography

Eh. That's not necessarily just an org issue. You can find that sort of comment anywhere. That being said, the site is mistaken by many to be an official site, and yes, new people getting such a brush-off (from a mod no-less) are at risk of being soured for some time to come. When I was very new back to the hobby, I asked a simple question at the REX site and was torn a new one by somebody who seemed to be speaking for the site. I asked for an immediate refund at that point and would have never gone near the place again if Timestamp999 had not shown up to smooth things down.

Much later I started a thread thanking the site for their customer service.

Attitude does matter. (unless you just don't need customers)

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

This is the problem though, very often people who do try to smooth things over and calm it down at ,org get banned. For a top level mod to say "get over it" to an innocent and relevant question is disgusting. We, as an X-Plane community are trying to attract new users and there has never been a better time than now to do this. 

Another classic example is their refusal to allow discussion of products outside of .org itself. With them being perceived as the official arm of x-plane.com newcomers are missing out on fantastic products such as the LES Saab and of course John Spahns fantastic SkyMaxx Pro.

Its a real shame.

Jason E Row

I really wish there was someway of getting the word out that x-plane.org is not the official forums of X-Plane. 

Hope I am not breaking any rules with this, please delete if I have

Interesting.  I'm one who thought they were the official X-Plane site.  I noticed a difference the manuals and linked in X-Plane pointed to a .com, but I thought they were the same... like microsoft.com and microsoft.org using both to protect their name.

By the way, the tone of the .org administrators sounds as if they are officially speaking for X-Plane from the perspective of how they allocate their development time and resources.

Thanks for the valuable information.  I believe the forum providers provide a great resource to the community.  But again, it's nice to know they are not officially speaking for X-Plane the various feature requests might not be as bleak as being as being presented.

-- L. James

-- 

L. D. James

ljames@apollo3.com

www.apollo3.com/~ljames

It's a shame.

I feel like X-plane.org forums are really holding back the sim from expanding and incorporating new users.

Also what is with that overbearing Christmas theme?  I love the holidays as much as anyone, but this is an international community and not everyone celebrates Christmas.

I confess I have been very critic about most things regarding X-plane, since I joined their forum, in 2002 = 11 yrs ago, and although I seldom post there, most of the time it is for one of my picky complaints about X-Plane's limitations.

Never got banned or insulted, and quite on the contrary, have had the chance to exchange ideas with Andy Glodstein, Brett, and others.

Many years ago, I did get into some "hot" arguments with Austin himself, who used to be very active there...

So, if I feel my simmer home is AVSIM, since a long time too, although I interrupted between 2008 and 2011, I have no problems visiting the .org, if not for other reasons to get

support for some of the products I bought at their store.

This doesn't mean that I do not ackonwledge that others have had problems there, and I respect and can only be sorry for that - we are all a community gathered due

to our common passion for aviation and flight simulation! - but I had to say this, because it's true...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Well, you do have AVSIM to call home for all things X-Plane. We have been trying to encourage the X-Plane community for years to do so, and it always concerned me that because of the *.org confusion, that we were not a location to attend, because we were not the "official" X-Plane site. I would just repeat what I have asked for in the past; if you are an X-Plane fan and would like to have a home alternative, then please encourage your fellow X-Plane enthusiasts help to expand that community here.

In the past year or so, the X-Plane forum here has become a much livelier much better place to be than certain other forums. There are arguments, there are people that step over the mark but that is just passion, elsewhere, the passion has become arrogance and unfortunately it's that arrogance that many first timers to X-Plane stumble upon. Let's be honest, if you have a problem with X-Plane, your first choice of words in a Google Search will almost certainly bring you to the .org. 

The more that we can post, ask and answer questions here, the more AVSIM will feature in Google searches and the more likely newcomers will bypass the other site.

Jason E Row

Well, you do have AVSIM to call home for all things X-Plane. We have been trying to encourage the X-Plane community for years to do so,

Since I've been here at AVSIM ever before thinking about X-Plane, it was the first place I go/went because it was "home". I use the AVSIM library for uploading X-Planey things. More to come, secret though :P

Jesse Casserly 👌🏼

Add me as a friend to go fly on MSFS: JesseC757

https://www.youtube.com/user/JesseCasserly757

💻 i7-10750H 2.6 GHz / 5.0 GHz, 16GB DDR4, 512GB SSD, 1TB HDD, RTX 2080 Super

Saitek X-56 HOTAS

Since I've been here at AVSIM ever before thinking about X-Plane, it was the first place I go/went because it was "home". I use the AVSIM library for uploading X-Planey things. More to come, secret though :P

The more X-Plane uploads the better Jesse! Bring 'em on! :Applause:

I think Avsim is a great place for X-Plane enthusiasts. Their door has always been open and you know you can ask questions here...and get friendly answers.

The more X-Plane uploads the better Jesse! Bring 'em on! :Applause:

Well, the situation over at Flightsim.com with the X-Plane mesh upload, has upset their apple cart in regards to server access. A lot of unhappy campers! I've always used the AVSIM library and server(s) as the download speeds far exceed those over there.

Well, the situation over at Flightsim.com with the X-Plane mesh upload, has upset their apple cart in regards to server access. A lot of unhappy campers! I've always used the AVSIM library and server(s) as the download speeds far exceed those over there.

How big are the mesh sceneries?