Sign in to follow this  
ErichB

Water in V2

Is it just me or is there nothing really significantly visually different about the water in V2. Based on what I had read pre-release I was expecting to find something more akin to the water animation in Ship Simulator or CoD.

I also find that the water surface 'jerks' occasionally just like it does with FSX. That was one of my top annoying things about FSX.

I'm still working out some kinks, but I am pretty underwelmed by the water so far. I find water/wave animation lacking. It just doesn't look realistic. Also cloud reflections are too pronounced like were looking at a reflection off a pane of glass. Maybe something is wrong with my configuration, but it certainly does not even come close to REX Sparkling in FSX, or wave animation in FSX DX10.

It definately "jerks" as you said, much like FSX.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

In a word w/ HDR/Tesselation enabled water looks outright awful for me--much worse than in FSX.  Anisotropic filtering seems to be the thing that finishes it off completely, yet w/o AF IQ is poor.  I hope this is resolved soon.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

What does the water look like with REX textures and wave animation enabled? Or has this not been implemented in P3Dv2 yet?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I have not installed REX for P3D yet. I am taking it slow with this one, until I understand how to achieve optimal performance in P3D. The settings really are different from FSX, kind of like learning how to ride a bicycle again.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

What does the water look like with REX textures and wave animation enabled? Or has this not been implemented in P3Dv2 yet?

I haven't installed anything other than FTXG. I think I'll just wait it out until fixes for all the anomalies have been sorted.

I agree the water in v2 is just dreadful.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

I'm still working out some kinks, but I am pretty underwelmed by the water so far. I find water/wave animation lacking. It just doesn't look realistic.

Ditto here. I find that the water looks flat and more like an acrylic painting than a real body of water. Very unimpressive to me anyway even while on Ultra setting with 15 knots wind.

I found this quote from another thread coming direct from Beau at LM about the current state of water in P3D.

We enable 3d waves on ultra and the waves are based on wind speed and direction. (You wont get a good 3d effect unless the mesh resolution is up at 1m. Just FYI) The v2 water is still a bit of a work in progress. The look of the water varies based on the altitude and there some edge cases that do look a bit odd. We spent a lot of time working out the issues with tessellation, 3d waves, shorelines, etc. When it came time for the final polish, our beta was in full swing and we had bigger fires to fight. We should have it looking a bit better with later point releases.

Ditto here. I find that the water looks flat and more like an acrylic painting than a real body of water.

That description reminds me of the water that I see in FSX when in DX10 mode. Flat and bland. Nothing like the superb water and wave animations that I get with REX in DX9 mode.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Adding REX Water anmination texture does not bring back the animation we are familar with in FSX. I miss the appearence and dissappearence of the white crust of waves from an altitude. This gave the impressin the ocean was alive.

What P3D v2 has done is the heaving of the ocean when you fly very low and when its very windy. Although this effect of ocean heaving is fantastic (Sea planes and aircraft carrier landings-Does the aircraft career react to the Ocean heave???), it has diminishing utility for regular  aviation... while the animation of white crests of waves is more important IMO.

Also the water of P3D (Oceans) is not mergeing well with addon textures like Megascenery...the merge is too harsh and abrupt...

Yes...this issue is something we need to communicate back to LM.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

LM is well aware of the issues.

I only ran 2.0Low in FSX for performance reasons. Anything higher cost me too many FPS.

I like P3D's water better simply because I can now have some different scenery reflections with little impact. Allowing check boxes for that is a great feature.

I found disabling tessallation brings back a more FSX/REX looking water.   

i7-9700K, MSI Z370, PNY 4070 Super, GTX 750Ti, 32GB GSkill, 43" curved Samsung, 32" BenQ, 11" LED, RealSImGear GTN750, Win10,

P3DV5.4/P3DV6 and MSFS, several GoFlight modules, Saitek radio, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Virtual Fly TQ6.

I agree the water in v2 is just dreadful.

This is absolutely (lurking here...reading there..) bumming me out to read this from many posters. What happened to that gorgeous water (I thought it looked absolutely real...) I saw in youtube videos released by LM and naughty beta testers?!!?!?!?   I thought they had the water and wave action down pat.  :(     I guess not, :(

That description reminds me of the water that I see in FSX when in DX10 mode. Flat and bland. Nothing like the superb water and wave animations that I get with REX in DX9 mode.

I very much agree. That is one of the main reasons that I went back to DX9 for FSX.  Also, you get the more varied and realistic colors of same....