Sign in to follow this  
Dumpcore

Installation of FSX addons. Some general tips

If you don't need FSX more, don't have EMT, and want to install FSX addons into Prepar3D V2, take note of this two tools to make easier such migration process:

1) Symlinker

https://code.google.com/p/symlinker/

With Symlinker you can create symbolic links to folders and files. It is extremely useful for creating a virtual FSX directory structure (and P3D V1), linked to the original Prepar3D V2 folders and files.

Examples (symbolic -> original):

A) Main FSX folder: 

E:\FSX -> E:\Prepar3D V2

B.) FSX and P3D V1 scenery folder:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX -> C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2

C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D -> C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2

C) FSX and P3D V1 config folder:

C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D -> C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2

C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX -> C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2

D) FSX config file (hard symbolic file):

C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\FSX.cfg -> C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\Prepar3D.cfg

E) FSX documents folder:

D:\Usuarios\USER\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files -> D:\Usuarios\USER\Documents\Prepar3D v2 Files

2) FSX Registry Utility

http://www.tweakfs.com/store/free_tools.php

With this tool you can set in the Windows Registry the FSX path pointing the Prepar3D V2 path. So, addons will be able to find your Prepar3D main folder for installing them.

With this two tools, you will be able to install almost 100% of FSX and P3D V1 addons into Prepar3D V2, without any problems. This includes changes in DLL.xml and EXE.xml files, scenery, autogen and terrain annotations , and documents files. Of course, compatibility of addons is another question.

Well, didn´t work for me, but the Estonian migration tool does and I don´t have to edit anything on my desktop. Yes the migration toll is for P3D v2.

+1 for the migration tool. Well worth it. Has worked perfectly for me for lots of fsx addons.

If I use the migration tool for ORBX and select "FSX" as the destination (even though it may be a dual installer), my installs work just fine, but the migration tool must be active also when using the ORBX utilities, i.e. FTXCentral.. Day Lights etc or it cannot find the proper path.  All in all it has been the best choice for me so far.

Bob

Migration Tool is an excellent solution for a lot of people, but if you don't want to pay for it, such tips are well worth.

I have installed hundred of addons without using EMT, and without touching anything else. Also, dynamic links are very useful to solve some compatibility problems that EMT can't do.