Sign in to follow this  
Brenchen

Active Sky Next vs OpusFSX

Just one specific question:I want to continue at least with the type of colors etc I get with AS2012 now.

If I have FSX off and ASN slso off, where do I push the stuff AS2012 makes (textures?) so that those become available to FSX when I start it and run it along with ASN?

I hope I am explaining myself here...

Like Jim said, don't change them if you like them.

The textures you push into FSX are not dynamic, meaning, you can't manipulate them when FSX is running.  AS2012, ASN, REX, whatever weather program you use can't manipulate cloud textures in FSX once it's running.  All a weather engine does is instruct FSX to use the appropriate cloud texture from your FSX textures folder.

All you do when you run the AS2012 texture tools is replace files in the FSX textures folder.  Those textures are only files in the FSX textures folder, and they don't change every time you start and stop FSX.  They only change if YOU initiate that change.

ASN couldn't give a rat's behind what textures you use...they can be AS2012, they can be REX, they can be freeware....it doesn't matter what you have installed...it will use the files you have installed into the textures folder with whatever method you use.

So, if you like the color and textures you have now, then leave them alone.  If you start AS2012 and re-run the cloud injection, then you'll lose what you have and install a different set that you chose.  You don't have to touch the textures ever again if you don't want to.

• Upvote 2

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png

I don't use the defaut ATC, but still load a plan into FSX so these other programs can recognise it and use it. Default ATC doesn't butt in of its own accord, you have to actually call it up to get it to deal with you, and it makes no difference whether a plan is loaded or not.

Pete

I just don't like going up to the menu if I don't have to. The only reason I use the menu after loading a flight is to re-sync the gmt in game clock when on the ground before taxi. How does ASN place a wind file in the pmdg fmc? Do I have to load a plan through it first or will it submit the wx file if a plan is loaded through fsx?

I use AS2012 for 2 reasons: (1) Gives FSX weather, and (2) Gives FSX nice colors, look and feel of weather, etc. (depending on the weather, flight plan, tme of the day. season etc.)

It seems like ASN will give me (1) much beter but not (2), which will be dealt with by the conventional FSX engine.

Based on that understanding I will not buy ASN.  I am confused. All I know is that AS2012 works OK for (1) and (2) and HiFI will only give me a better (1), bit not a (2).

AS2012 might not be the absulute best but at least I unederstand it (I think)

Don't laugh, but here's my understanding and hope it helps you too.

Essentially the bubbles coming out with "Modules, Effects, Ground Textures" etc. are just packages which the sim uses when it run to display what you see.  No different to weather textures.  In this case, we use 3rd party texture packages to inject new weather textures into the "texture pool", which gets used when you have commands coming in from the weather engine to use it.

Hope this clears things up a bit for you.

Brendan Chen

Learning to use and getting use to FSX!

I just don't like going up to the menu if I don't have to.

Seems a lot better than switching to a different window altogether (ASN)! But please yourself.

How does ASN place a wind file in the pmdg fmc?

Why would it want to do that?  ASN isn't written for PMDG.

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

ASN isn't written for PMDG.

No, but it does (for the 777)

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmm... Not a good look for Opus after seeing this link.  Wrong type of attitude in my books.

I didn't get a negative vibe from that topic??

I have purchased every version of HiFi 's weather programs from day one... and O___ as well ..

I like the ability to load historical weather ( although I have never used it ) ... funny how I see this one :-)

I choose to support both vendors ... and I don't really see anything other than good business competition from either ...

and both offer superb support ... I hope they both keep ' duking ' it out for years to come...

I have purchased just about every version of AS through the years. I have now upgraded from AS2012 to the new ASNext and can tell you I am thrilled with it. This past week I flew several flights in the Manfred Jahn latest C-47 from and to various cities along the southern shore of Lake Erie during the snow, rain, hail storms going on. I did not change my textures from what I had set up in AS2012, but the rendition of the sky and clouds was stunning. The turbulence in the air was different and much better than ever before and brought back memories of my real life in the air. And you now get a real lifelike experience shooting the ILS in minimum conditions, not being able to look down and see the ground through the clouds anymore. Loving it.

Howard

I've been using AS all the way through AS2012. Switched to OPUS last year and staying there for now. For the sole reason OPUS gives me the camera, one option I found extremely useful and easy to use. If only AS could add such feature...

Regards,

Martin Martinov / VATSIM 1207931

You can use the camera from OPUS and the weather from ASN just fine.

Damian I think you have more respect for the other developers than what the Opus guys do for you guys after reading this thread. http://www.simforums.com/Forums/how-will-you-compete_topic47935.html

That guy (OPUS dev) better be 110% correct and documented, or else that is one nasty tone and some really nasty accusations... If he is right and can document so, he's got every reason to be as hatefull and condescending as he really is.

Mas

Please advise will Opus camera and ASN work together properly if I disable weather option in OPUS?

Please advise will Opus camera and ASN work together properly if I disable weather option in OPUS?

yes!

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I have used them together often and they work fine.

Vic green

But you must disable Turbulence and bump aircraft off in the DHM settings. You do not have to turn off DHM.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

That guy (OPUS dev) better be 110% correct and documented, or else that is one nasty tone and some really nasty accusations... If he is right and can document so, he's got every reason to be as hatefull and condescending as he really is.

Mas

Steven  needs to reel himself in.   I own both products and I am testing a weather radar that would be IMPOSSIBLE with his product. ASNEXT found a way to place clouds and weather where they want it. Plus the winds are rock solid and accurate.

I noticed NickN chimed in on that thread...   He had a similar reaction  when FTX global came out.

• Upvote 1

Mike Avallone

9900k@5.0,Corsair H115i cooler,ASUS 2080TI,GSkill 32GB pc3600 ram, 2 WD black NVME ssd drives, ASUS maximus hero MB