Sign in to follow this  
RoboRay

[P3Dv2] Scud-running amidst Alaska's Chugach Mountains

As most of the P3Dv2 videos I've seen are rather short and show-case specific things, they don't really demonstrate what you will typically seen when flying.  I decided to simply record some normal flying...  or, as "normal" as scud-running in Alaska, through Thompson Pass from Valdez (PAVD) to Gulkana (PAGK), can be.

The video is rather long as it's undedited (other than starting and ending airborne).  It begins entering the Valdez Arm from Prince William Sound, passes by the Alaska Pipeline Terminal and the town of Valdez, then follows the route of the Pipeline itself along the Lowe River up into the Chugach Mountains.  Climbing up through the saddle of Thompson Pass, the flight continues to follow the pipeline through mountain valleys along the Tiekel and Tonsina Rivers, then out into the wide plains along the Copper River to the town of Glennnallen and Gulkana airport.

Aircraft is the default Mooney Acclaim by Lionheart and scenery is ORBX Southern Alaska.  Weather is one of the default themes, but I forget which one.

This is a moderate-performance computer (I7-2600k @ 4.2 GHz and a 2 GB nVidia 660ti with Prepar3d's configuration options set accordingly:  http://imgur.com/a/mlARy

NVIDIA Inspector is set to "Enhance the application settings" with 8xSQ AA and 4xSGSS.

Ray, I gotta ask: where is all the snow? This place should be a Winter Wonderland this time of year!

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

Oh, lol, yeah...  I backed the calendar up a few months to show some green because I thought it would look more interesting and make the glaciers and snowy mountaintops stand out more.  I actually started recording it in winter and decided "all that white is a bit much."  :unknw:

Yeah, may have to agree with you on that one: I have been flying Idaho, Montana, and Colorado lately, and it is stark. Sometimes beautifully stark, but still, that's a lot of white.

The change did make for a nice video, though.    :smile:  I have two weeks off over the holidays, and I think I will be trying out the new V2 simulator myself. :Big Grin:

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick