Sign in to follow this  
Nathan3219

Razbam Metroliner Released

I have made a priovision for the mixture setting in my code, so the plane should start up each and every time.

If your engines quit, it is usually due to excessive EGT. Make sure the SRL system is enabled or keep EGT below 650°C.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

Yes, I'm using your systems mod, with the provision for mixture setting. That doesn't appear to help. I was able to shut down yesterday from a running condition using Ctrl-Shift-F1, and then using Ctrl-Shift-F4 to reset mixture and start again okay. I haven't been able to start it from cold and dark, but I haven't tried the key combination first yet. I'll do that today.

As for stopping in flight, as I said, the engines are at idle, not stopped. I'm familiar with turbo-props, although I have no RW time in any. I watch temps carefully and never overheat. As I discovered yesterday, though, the problem is that the power levers stop responding, usually after pulling them to flight idle or ground idle. I have to move the VC levers with the mouse to get them responding again. My throttles are controlled by FSUIPC. Perhaps there is some coding for the power levers in this plane that causes problems with FSUIPC. Perhaps it is the vague boundary between flight and ground idle on throttle hardware axes that is causing the issue. I'm curious as to whether others have experienced this problem. I do not have this issue with any other of my many, many aircraft.

Now that I understand the problem, I can work around it with VC mouse inputs. Still, it's a little bit of a bother. And the starting issue is still a concern. I'll test cold and dark again today.

Hm. The start locks are disengaged, right?

I have noticed a mild unwillingness to go into reverse, but blamed it on the throttle slider on my flightstick.

You might want to try deleting the profile in FSUIPC.ini and start from scratch. I use it on this bird with a CH throttle quad with no issues

Hans Soule

I don't have a specific profile for this plane in FSUIPC, but perhaps I should create one.  I'll give that a try.  

I haven't enabled the start locks, so I don't think that can be the issue.  

But you mentioning that gave me a thought.  I know your mods enable the friction locks.  I haven't really ever touched those.  I'm wondering if they are in a position by default that might keep the power levers from moving once they are in flight or ground idle.  I'll check that as well.  

I didn't have time to test it today (had to take my daughter to the airport in the city).  Thanks for the suggestions.  I'll keep digging into it.

Well, I tried several different settings in a Metro specific profile in FSUIPC and the power levers still get stuck at flight idle unless I move them in the VC.   Care to share your FSUPIC settings for this plane, Hans?

It's not the friction locks.  

I was able to start from cold and dark though, no problem, as long as I made sure mixture was set to full rich.  

[Profile.Metroliner]
1=Fairchild SA 227AC Metro III Paint15
2=Fairchild SA 227AC Metro III ARNZX7
3=Fairchild SA 227AC Metro III Paint20
4=Fairchild SA 227AC Metro III Paint3
5=Fairchild SA 227AC Metro III Paint8
6=Fairchild SA 227AC Metro III Paint1
7=Fairchild SA 227AC Metro III Delta Airlines

[buttons.Metroliner]
0=P3,10,C66069,0
2=P3,11,C66070,0
3=P1,20,C65793,0

[Axes.Metroliner]
RangeRepeatRate=10
0=0X,256,D,1,0,0,0
1=0Y,256,D,2,0,0,0
2=0Z,256
3=0Z,B,1792,16383,66079,0
4=0Z,B,-16384,1792,66080,0
5=1X,256,D,1,0,0,0
6=1Y,256,D,2,0,0,0
7=1Z,256
8=1Z,B,1760,16383,66079,0
9=1Z,B,-16384,1760,66080,0
10=2X,256,D,7,0,0,0
11=2Y,256,D,8,0,0,0
12=2Z,256,D,3,0,0,0
13=3X,256,D,9,0,0,0
14=3Y,256,D,10,0,0,0
15=3Z,256,D,17,0,0,0
16=3R,256,D,23,0,0,0
17=3U,256,D,18,0,0,0

[JoystickCalibration.Metroliner]
AllowSuppressForPFCquad=Yes
ExcludeThrottleSet=Yes
ExcludeMixtureSet=Yes
ExcludePropPitchSet=Yes
SepRevsJetsOnly=No
ApplyHeloTrim=No
UseAxisControlsForNRZ=No
FlapsSetControl=0
FlapDetents=No
ReverserControl=66292
Reverser1Control=66422
Reverser2Control=66425
Reverser3Control=66428
Reverser4Control=66431
MaxThrottleForReverser=256
AileronTrimControl=66731
RudderTrimControl=66732
CowlFlaps1Control=66162
CowlFlaps2Control=66163
CowlFlaps3Control=66164
CowlFlaps4Control=66165
SteeringTillerControl=0
MaxSteerSpeed=60
LeftBrake=-14336,16380/16
RightBrake=-14592,16380/16
Throttle1=-16384,-13966,-5103,16383/8
Throttle2=-16384,-14000,-5362,16383/8
Flaps=-16245,16380/16
SyncSlopeThrottle2=35/31,49/50,68/68,93/92,102/103,120/120,127/128
PropPitch1=0,0,512,13863
PropPitch2=0,0,512,14119
Rudder=-16380,512,2304,16380

Hans Soule

It's weird, my throttle slider works better in the default C208 than it does in the Metro.

And I'm not even using a registered FSUIPC with controller stuff.

In other news, the Metro's annunciator lights suddenly stopped working.

Didn't make any changes to FSX or the aircraft itself.

Weird, weird...

I've begun to wonder whether it is a coded feature of some sort. I've been flying it in FSE, and I can bring the power levers down very close to flight idle and retain response and movement. But if I bring them all the way down to the detent on the CH quadrant, and so to flight idle...or perhaps ground idle...while in flight, then my hardware cannot move them again. I have to use the mouse, as I've said. I notice on the VC quadrant, the word "locked" is right above the marked area for flight and ground idle. Is it possible that the coder did something to emulate that"locked" so that moving the power levers into idle while in flight interrupts hardware control?

Any RL Metro pilots know how the quadrant settings work in the actual plane, and what that "locked" is about?

Any RL Metro pilots know how the quadrant settings work in the actual plane, and what that "locked" is about?

Not a real pilot, but as I understand:

The reduction gears in Garrett geared engines do not like negative loading (i.e. propeller driving the engine instead of the normal engine driving the propeller).  By this I mean negative loading can cause severe damage and the need to replace an expensive part.  In flight a physical lock is used to prevent the propellers from entering a certain propeller angle, forget the value for the Metro, but let's say something like 35 degrees.  The end goal is to ensure the engines are always producing a torque on the props.

I'm not sure if Razbam simulated the the lockout to prevent moving the power levers to ground idle power/beta or just to prevent the levers from visually moving to below flight idle.

-Bryant

No problems in p3d using Fsuipc4, just make sure you don't have any duplicate entries in the fsx controls, scroll through the list of f.sx joysticks/controls. Also check if you up to date with latest version of Fsuipc4

bob

Not a real pilot, but as I understand:

The reduction gears in Garrett geared engines do not like negative loading (i.e. propeller driving the engine instead of the normal engine driving the propeller).  By this I mean negative loading can cause severe damage and the need to replace an expensive part.  In flight a physical lock is used to prevent the propellers from entering a certain propeller angle, forget the value for the Metro, but let's say something like 35 degrees.  The end goal is to ensure the engines are always producing a torque on the props.

I'm not sure if Razbam simulated the the lockout to prevent moving the power levers to ground idle power/beta or just to prevent the levers from visually moving to below flight idle.

-Bryant

Hmmm...that's interesting.  I may post on the Razbam forum asking to see if the one who did the code tried to model this in some way.  

I see nothing in the manual about it.

Hmmm...that's interesting.  I may post on the Razbam forum asking to see if the one who did the code tried to model this in some way.  

I see nothing in the manual about it.

page 1-28 in the manual,

POWER (THROTTLE) LEVER

Two power levers operate in a quadrant on the center pedestal which is marked “FLT IDLE”, “GROUND IDLE,” and

“REVERSE.” The power lever connects to the propeller pitch control and the fuel control unit.

When the power lever is between FLT IDLE and REVERSE, any movement positions the propeller pitch control to provide

a blade angle proportional to the power required. When the power levers is positioned forward of the FLT IDLE,

propeller pitch control is provided by the speed levers. The power lever can move freely between HIGH (full forward)

and FLT IDLE positions. It is not possible to move aft of FLT IDLE while the aircraft is in the air.

SPEED

page 1-28 in the manual,

Yes, I've read that, but that isn't relevant, I don't think. I'm not trying to put the levers beyond flight idle. I'm just pulling the hardware levers back to the idle detent, which appears to put the power levers in flight idle, and they get stuck there. If the levers can't be put beyond flight idle, then they shouldn't go beyond that, not get stuck in flight idle.

I'll check again, to see where the hardware detent puts the VC lever.

The reduction gears in Garrett geared engines do not like negative loading (i.e. propeller driving the engine instead of the normal engine driving the propeller).  By this I mean negative loading can cause severe damage and the need to replace an expensive part.

Makes sense as the shaft is most likely connected to the compressors and not just to the turbine. Torque from the prop would prevent the compressors and turbines from slowing down when less fuel is injected and thus delay engine response after the throttle has been reduced.