Sign in to follow this  
fjr_nate

How do you fly the airliners in FSX?

I'm looking for some tips some of you might have in my attempt to make flying the big jets as real as possible. Here is the way I currently fly the PMDG 737.

First I go to FlightAware.com and find the route I would like to travel.  I generally try to keep the flights relatively short. For example, from Las Vegas (KLAS) to Los Angeles (KLAX) I find another 737 flying the route BOACH5, HEC, RIIVR2 at 28,000 feet.

Then I go to Liveatc.net to the destination airport (KLAX), and listen in for the current active landing runways. In this case, it seems 25L and 24R are active for arrivals. I choose 25L for programming the FMC and will ignore FSX. Then I tune in the departing airport (KLAS) using liveatc.net ground or tower.

I start up FSX and set my 737 cold/dark to a gate at KLAS.  I have FSX set for no collisions with other aircraft and simply use the real weather within FSX.  I tune in the FSX ATC ground and listen to confirm the departing runway (25R) while I'm preparing everything.  When ready for pushback I contact FSX ATC for instructions to the runway and takeoff etc.  Once I'm airborne the FSX ATC will hand me off to monitor departure and then I'm done with FSX ATC until I land. I like to listen to the relevant liveatc.net channels during the flight.  During decent and arrival I don't tune in the FSX ATC. After I land I'll contact FSX ground for directions to the gate.

Until an awesome ATC addon is available for FSX this the how I attempt to make it as real as it almost gets. I would buy an ATC addon that included SIDS and STARS and actually sounded real. I just recently got back into flightsimming, so any tips, ideas, addons, would be appreciated.  

FJR_Nate

You're on a pretty good methodology, and no doubt FlightAware is great for copying RW flight plans.  That said, PFPX software is a VERY worthwhile tool that is well-suited to both FSX/p3d -and- XPlane.  I use it extensively.  There is a small learning curve, but it is simple to use.

You should consider using PilotEdge live ATC, it is far superior to VATSIM, although PE is not free, and has a small service area (SoCal, parts of Nevada, and San Francisco Intl' KSFO).  You can try PilotEdge free of charge for 14 days (NO CREDIT CARD NEEDED).

When you fly on PE, you contact the relevant controller for each part of your flight.  Let's take your example:

BOACH5, HEC, RIIVR2 at 28,000 feet.

you:  (on KLAS clearance/delivery freq

R. Scott McDonald  B738/L   Information is anecdotal only-without guarantee & user assumes all risks of use thereof.                                               

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Click here for my YouTube channel

If you want to make it as real as possible with the 737ngx then I would get fs2crew and run the checklists/flows. You can also get fs2crew emergency which will have the co-pilot assist you in case of emergencies and running the proper flows. If you do not have a weather engine I would recommend Active sky next with rex textures (your not going to get close to real using default fsx weather). Flightaware is a good site to get flightplans or if you want to take your flight planning to the next level get pfpx with topcat. This will allow you to plan your flights and get accurate fuel calculations as well as do takeoff/landing calculations (derated takeoffs, directly exports flightplans into fmc, sim, etc). For ATC with sids/stars Voxatc works ok, but none of the atc programs are really great imo. What I would recommend is online flying with something like vatsim (trust me if you want to make things more realistic this will really take it up a notch). The LAARTCC is fairly active so you will usually get decent coverage of klax & klas as well as surrounding airports. There are other addons like fscaptain that will help simulate a virtual pilot career and will grade your performance etc to make things feel more goal oriented. You can also join a virtual airline. Some are really hardcore and others are more laid back depending on what you are looking for. EFB is a useful tool as well in terms of a moving map, looking at sims/stars etc. I think you will be surprised as just how realistic you can make your experience. ASN, EFB, FScaptain, voxatc all have a free trial.    

If you want to make it as real as possible with the 737ngx then I would get fs2crew and run the checklists/flows. You can also get fs2crew emergency which will have the co-pilot assist you in case of emergencies and running the proper flows. If you do not have a weather engine I would recommend Active sky next with rex textures (your not going to get close to real using default fsx weather). Flightaware is a good site to get flightplans or if you want to take your flight planning to the next level get pfpx with topcat. This will allow you to plan your flights and get accurate fuel calculations as well as do takeoff/landing calculations (derated takeoffs, directly exports flightplans into fmc, sim, etc). For ATC with sids/stars Voxatc works ok, but none of the atc programs are really great imo. What I would recommend is online flying with something like vatsim (trust me if you want to make things more realistic this will really take it up a notch). The LAARTCC is fairly active so you will usually get decent coverage of klax & klas as well as surrounding airports. There are other addons like fscaptain that will help simulate a virtual pilot career and will grade your performance etc to make things feel more goal oriented. You can also join a virtual airline. Some are really hardcore and others are more laid back depending on what you are looking for. EFB is a useful tool as well in terms of a moving map, looking at sims/stars etc. I think you will be surprised as just how realistic you can make your experience. ASN, EFB, FScaptain, voxatc all have a free trial.    

all of the above is great advice.  I got interrupted in mid-post and now can't finish my original message.  I highly recommend PilotEdge free trial.  You can decide if fifty cents a day is worth it for real human ATC.  IMHO, it's worth much more than that.  They are open 15 hours a day 8am to 11pm Pacific time, 362 days a year...

One little tip:  When entering your flight plan into the FMC for the PMDG, you can enter the arrival STAR, but don't pick the RUNWAY until you get near your destination- atc will say something like "Expect the ILS approach runway 25L", at which point you can program in the runway on your FMC, in plenty of time to land.  This obviates the sudden change to your runway if ATC switches it or the winds shift mid-flight.  Try it- I think you'll find you'll like doing it that way ;)

check it out ;)

best of luck!

If you want to really fly like a pro, I can also recommend Garmin Pilot (for Android).  A real-life Electronic Flight Bag that has all the procedures and charts, runway diagrams, and much more.  It's about $16 a month annual subscription.  The procedures alone are worth it.  If you have an Android Tablet, this prog is dynamite.  You can communicate with FSX (bluetooth) or with XPlane (separate app).

R. Scott McDonald  B738/L   Information is anecdotal only-without guarantee & user assumes all risks of use thereof.                                               

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Click here for my YouTube channel