Sign in to follow this  
OmniAtlas

P3D "Out of Memory"

Hi, I do have windows 8.1 pro - 64 bits and I checked reg. entry and my OS had value before fix (768, after fix = 1024) So probably other ppl have to do it too. That is why I don't think it is out of date fix and as I wrote above with this fix I don't have OOM anymore. Strange but true.

This has been corrected with automatic updates/patches from MS even for the various versions of Vista:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ntdebugging/archive/2008/03/20/the-default-interactive-desktop-heap-size-has-been-increased-on-32-bit-vista-sp1.aspx

Note the date on that blog post. To be honest with you, I was only repeating what has been posted here a number of times by others over the past few years. Maybe MS goofed up with Win 8.1 64 bit, but I tend to doubt it, since my registry setting has the correct number for the heap size and I have never edited it. 

Not my windows 8.1 pro 64 with all updates and if you use win 8.1 u will see that " MS automatically fix" is not supported by MS in win 8.1. 

Hello;

Pls check below, It helped me a lot with my OOM problem:

#####.wordpress.com/2012/09/24/oom-out-of-memory-helperfix/

I hope it will help you a a lot...

regards

pawel

What does it actually do?

If you look above at the link that I posted, It has an explanation of what this "fix" does and also a link to a discussion of how the Windows heap functions. If you are using either Win 7 or Win 8 64 bit and have kept up with updates from Microsoft, this has been addressed long ago. 

If you look above at the link that I posted, It has an explanation of what this "fix" does and also a link to a discussion of how the Windows heap functions. If you are using either Win 7 or Win 8 64 bit and have kept up with updates from Microsoft, this has been addressed long ago.

Let me rephrase my question - what does it actually to for P3D?

In Prepar3D, I set all of the graphics settings to max, but left the autogen vegetation to zero, and I'm good for about 2000nm before I get an OOM error...and that's with FTX Global, GSX ground crew, REX, and Active Sky Next.  I do have a noticeable frame rate loss while on the ground. Once airborne...smooth as glass.  Of course, on approach, the frame rates decline again...but to a workable level.

Interestingly, I have FSX also installed and have NO problems with frame rates or OOM errors, even with the highest setting...same addons installed.  However, the graphics quality just isn't as good as Prepar3D.  For example, FSX shows trees and houses around KPHX, while Prepar3D shows a more accurate desert environment.  Also, ground textures are quite a bit better in Prepar3D at altitude than they are in FSX.

Bottom line for me:  Since I fly commercial airliners exclusively, I'd rather have better overall performance than scenery quality.  So, FSX remains my simulator of choice for most flights.  After all, when flying a commercial jet, you're focused on the cockpit during takeoff and approach, so outside scenery is of a lesser value.  Once at altitude, earth graphics is quite acceptable in FSX.

Once Prepar3D solves the OOM issue, I'll probably transition over because it offers better overall graphics control with better scenery quality.

I made an interesting discovery today. I managed to get an OOM in the Scenario Setup screen(I have the "Show Scenario Startup Screen" option checked), just browsing the aircrafts looking at the different liverys. I was making a favorite list and was clicking on every aircraft and livery I had, and after 20 aircrafts or so, an OOM popped up. I was also able to replicate this, so if you want to switch AC, you just might want to restart P3D...

Ryzen 9 5900X || Gigabyte RTX 4090 Windforce 24G || G.Skill TridentZ 32GB@3600CL16 || Asus ROG Strix Gaming-E X570
XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB M.2 NVMe || Corsair iCUE H115i PRO XT || Phanteks Eclipse P500A D-RGB || Phanteks Revolt Pro 1000W
Gigabyte 43'' FV43U 4k@144hz || X55 Rhino || G27 || Oculus Quest 2 || Turtle Beach Velocity One

I made an interesting discovery today. I managed to get an OOM in the Scenario Setup screen(I have the "Show Scenario Startup Screen" option checked), just browsing the aircrafts looking at the different liverys. I was making a favorite list and was clicking on every aircraft and livery I had, and after 20 aircrafts or so, an OOM popped up. I was also able to replicate this, so if you want to switch AC, you just might want to restart P3D...

Could it be a memory leak related to the UI? I remember some these that were fixed in 2.1.

I tried once more and monitored the VAS at the same time. Everytime I pressed a new AC or livery, the VAS increased around 100-130mb. I let it go to 3,5gb and tried to load the scenario to see if it  freed some of the memory, but 35% in the loadprocess, it OOM'd. Never tried this in FSX, so don't know if this happened there as well...

Ryzen 9 5900X || Gigabyte RTX 4090 Windforce 24G || G.Skill TridentZ 32GB@3600CL16 || Asus ROG Strix Gaming-E X570
XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB M.2 NVMe || Corsair iCUE H115i PRO XT || Phanteks Eclipse P500A D-RGB || Phanteks Revolt Pro 1000W
Gigabyte 43'' FV43U 4k@144hz || X55 Rhino || G27 || Oculus Quest 2 || Turtle Beach Velocity One

Anyone manage to get an OOM with 2.4 yet? I did on a short flight. There is still something wrong with 2.4 compared to 2.2.

Mike, sure did.  Ever since 2.3 I have been getting OOM's... and I never had to deal with them in 2.2.  Hard to believe this issue has now slipped under the radar after two releases.

I reported this to LM long ago. You should do the same. Go to LM and tell them.

Spirit

Only get this problem when I scroll through the liveries of Aircraft.

Please report this at the LM forum.

Spirit