Sign in to follow this  
OmniAtlas

P3D "Out of Memory"

Project Lasso affects Work Set Memory - Not 4GB Virtual Size - this is 32BIT Application Limitation.  There is no way out of it.  LM has to do some VAS cleaning up via their code, there is no other way.  Project Lasso does completely different. 

I even posted in depth about this over here about Project Lasso http://forum.avsim.net/topic/470612-any-ideas-on-how-to-reduce-my-vas-usage-sli-users/?p=3257856

Forum Mods - it will be cool to make a sticky about Project Lasso - majority of people are interpreting the application use in a different manner.  It trims Virtual Size of the Working Set Virtual Memory not Virtual Size

Ok understood. However with Lasso i am able to fly quite longer ten without

Carsten U

Ok understood. However with Lasso i am able to fly quite longer ten without

Project Lasso does seem to give more headroom - for me it was only 2 extra minutes.  It all depends on the situation and your setup (everyone's mileage will vary).  I am not against the application at all.  I just want people to know that it isn't some magic tool which reduces your VAS.  It just does something completely different.

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

Project Lasso does seem to give more headroom - for me it was only 2 extra minutes.  It all depends on the situation and your setup (everyone's mileage will vary).  I am not against the application at all.  I just want people to know that it isn't some magic tool which reduces your VAS.  It just does something completely different.

Thats what i realized too. Even some more minutes is sometimes helpful :-)

Carsten U

Forum Mods - it will be cool to make a sticky about Project Lasso - majority of people are interpreting the application use in a different manner.  It trims Virtual Size of the Working Set Virtual Memory not Virtual Size

The only criticism is one of terminology. "VAS" are the initials for "Virtual Address Space" not "Virtual Size..."

Project Lasso is a very nice utility program that can help the performance of one's computer in myriad ways, but not unfortunately in VAS management, for which it offers nothing at all.

In fact, the only program that can properly affect VAS management is the calling application itself. It and only it has any knowledge of what portions of the VAS contents are no longer required.

Trying to control the contents of VAS externally would be like taking a pair of scissors to the index of an encyclopedia, while wearing a blindfold...

...while it would most assuredly shorten the list of indexed articles, it would also result in certain portions of the encyclopedia's contents difficult if not impossible to find! :Shocked:

Edited by n4gix
Correct grammar errors! Add more text!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

According to Microsoft:

...the term used to describe a subset of virtual pages resident in physical memory is called a working set.

Windows Internals Part 2 6 edition on page 325

My understanding is that  Project Lasso, running on Windows, may affect the size of the working set but that, as n4gix says, only the calling application itself change its own  VAS.

Only exception, you can ReadProcessMemory and WriteProcessMemory once you got the pointer/handle to the process ... this requires considerable knowledge of the running application and can be considered reverse engineering which is prohibited by the EULA.  

In "theory" you could change attached application memory usage this way but it would be VERY unsafe (100% NOT thread safe) and I can assure anyone that Process Lasso does NOT do this because:

1.  It's a generic tool and has NO knowledge of P3D and the various versions of P3D which would be required as the offsets would be different for each new version of P3D including hotfixes.

2.  Use Process Explorer to monitor Process Lasso, you will see that Process Lasso never makes any calls to ReadProcessMemory or WriteProcessMemory (part of Kernel32.dll) ... it would need to use WriteProcessMemory in order to free up any memory and it would need to use it at the right time and understand why it could be used at that time.

I would have better chance of success if I won the CA lottery 3 weeks in a row. ;)

I'm not going to provide any more details beyond this because it is hacking.  Process Lasso maybe useful in other ways, but it does not manage P3D VAS.  

Cheers, Rob.