Sign in to follow this  
OmniAtlas

P3D "Out of Memory"

Woah, just changed my tessellation setting left one notch from the right (it was at its max setting) - memory usage is now 5.4 gb at its max flight from YMPQ to YSSY (sydney).

And no crashing!  

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

Am I missing something - how did you get 7GB on a 32 bit system?

Am I missing something - how did you get 7GB on a 32 bit system?

That is my question too.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

looks like it crashed around the 7 GB mark.

Sounds like you're not looking at the correct memory usage number.

Woah, just changed my tessellation setting left one notch from the right (it was at its max setting)

Yes, per Beau at LM ... tessellation is a big consumer of VAS.

Rob, 

Do you have a good understanding of what tessellation gives us within v2.0?  I recollect that it renders wave action, but I am not aware of anything beyond that functionality.  Thoughts?

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

Do you have a good understanding of what tessellation gives us within v2.0?

Exactly how LM are implementing Tessellation I don't know ... but from what I've read it's applied to more than just water ... I don't think it would be used to render the actual wave animation but it might be used to give the waves a more defined and distinguished look.

You can apply tessellation to just about anything, in practice it would make more sense to apply tessellation to most "natural" objects in a scene (land/water/trees) but by no means restricted to that ... it could be applied to runway/taxiway to give cracks and concrete slabs more visual definition.

I'll do some testing when I have time and see what I notice different with tessellation.

It at least also works with the terrain: I've noticed a change in the use of textures and mesh with various tessellation settings (lower settings resulted in less detail in the distance when it came to textures which is probably due to a change in mesh detail). All in all it's a pretty important and 'big' feature that does a LOT more than just water!

During my testing I only noticed the tessellation setting didn't really make a difference when it comes to performance but this evening I will test what it does to VAS.

EDIT

What the P3D-site says about tessellation:

Tessellated Terrain on the Graphics Card

The previous work being done to generate the terrain and its mesh is now able to be done dynamically on the graphics card.  This allows two very noticeable differences, the ability for fully dynamic day and night cycles, and greatly improved terrain paging performance.

With the terrain lighting now able to be done dynamically on the card, shadows and lighting are updated in real-time, whereas previous shadows and lighting had to be baked into the textures and reloaded as the time of day changed.[

I just tested the influence of various tessellation settings on VAS and on my PC with two completely different settings (one flight with the plane (flat terrain) on KLAX at day and on Bomoen (mountains)) and while VAS was different in both situations (KLAX around 1.804.xxx and Bomoen around 1.938.xxx) the various settings made no difference at ALL. In fact, the highest settings resulted in the lowest VAS in KLAX and the second to lowest in Bomoen, while in both situations the lowest setting resulted in the highest VAS...! Of course the differences are quite small and fluctuate all the time (besides being different all the time also) but from my tests I can not conclude that a lower tessellation setting could helpt to prevent an OOM. Of course the plane was standing still on the runway: things might be different when you repeat a test like this with half an hour of flying. But I don't really feel like doing that. ^_^

Of course the plane was standing still on the runway: things might be different when you repeat a test like this with half an hour of flying. But I don't really feel like doing that.

Interesting findings Jeroen -- thanks for sharing.

Sadly a flight will be required to get a more accurate representation ... time consuming I know.  Did you have HDR enabled?  Also, did you exit P3DV2 and delete your shaders folder on each test?

Did you have HDR enabled? Also, did you exit P3DV2 and delete your shaders folder on each test?

HDR was enabled, yes. I did exit P3Dv2 between every test but I didn't delete the shaders folder: what would be the reason to do that for every test...?

Sounds like you're not looking at the correct memory usage number.

Hmm, just got another crash today :( Which memory usage number should I look at? I am monitoring the system information - Memory tab for System Commit -- notice the crashing happens when the memory requires jump -- stable at 6.0 GB - then a few seconds later it jumped to 6.7 GB and then crash.

I'll move tessellation down to medium and try one last time. Otherwise I am getting very frustrated and don't know why I have such frequent OOM. 

Windows uses about 1 GB, the jeehell cockpit suite about 1 GB -- isn't 6 GB (doesn't P3D just use 4?) enough to get by?

I might bite the bullet and upgrade to 16 gb of ram.  

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

Tonight was a terrible night for me ... OOMing everywhere -- never had so many OOMs in such a short period of time:

1.  Carenado D1900 (max flight time about 6-8 minutes before OOM)

2.  Aerosoft Twin Otter Extended  (max flight time about 3-4 mintues before OOM)

3.  Oslo 2.0 

I tried all kinds of ways to resolve, the only aircraft what wouldn't OOM were the default ones that come with P3DV2.

Think I just need to walk away from P3DV2 for a little ... it was a night of frustration with no work arounds for me.

I did my first flight with the AXE in P3D2 and it worked well, although watching my card load at minimum of 50 and max of 99% was a bit concerning. In fsx my card load never went past 50! But if I had not been monitoring it I would never have known. I am going away from sgss and shutting down a lot of shadows and stuff which my card is struggling with. Maybe tge upcoming patch will help as well?<br /><br />Sent from my Mobile thing <br /><br />

Same here, I am starting to face these oom issues myself. Look like I may need to take a break and switch to XP10 until LM can get this resolved. I think I have more problems in P3D than FSX. STrange how fsx seems to run better with more addons than p3d. Perhaps it's all these new sliders that are causing these oom errors.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Tonight was a terrible night for me ... OOMing everywhere -- never had so many OOMs in such a short period of time:

1. Carenado D1900 (max flight time about 6-8 minutes before OOM)

2. Aerosoft Twin Otter Extended (max flight time about 3-4 mintues before OOM)

3. Oslo 2.0

I tried all kinds of ways to resolve, the only aircraft what wouldn't OOM were the default ones that come with P3DV2.

Think I just need to walk away from P3DV2 for a little ... it was a night of frustration with no work arounds for me.

Surely the only reliable solution is to use native v2.0 aircraft only?

Imho something is either wrong with P3D v2 or something is changed in such a way that all add ons cause memory problems. Maybe the 3PD's haven't yet read what's required for their add ons to be used in P3D v2…?

Surely the only reliable solution is to use native v2.0 aircraft only?

No. I've been using the A2A C172 for quite some time now without any problems. I only have FTX Global installed though, so the main solution is to keep the amount of add ons low.