Sign in to follow this  
OmniAtlas

P3D "Out of Memory"

No. I've been using the A2A C172 for quite some time now without any problems. I only have FTX Global installed though, so the main solution is to keep the amount of add ons low.

That a very limited usage - one aircraft add-on, on scenery-add-on and keep usage low.

Hopefully as others have said there is a 'memory leak' and the upcoming patch will fix this. 

Otherwise I may be seriously considering going back to FSX. 

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

after two days of testing this I am stumped. I was happy with my sim and visuals.

I then checked gpu load and nearly fell off the chair! with real weather injected, it hovers at 99% load! I played around with the sliders, removed stuff, you name it. locking the sim at 25fps helped but ut brought along some micrp stutters.

I loaded NI just for the frame limiter, now running unlimited in P3D2 and 30fps in NI and it is very smooth, but the gpu load still hits 99% in overcast.

I am starting to think adding Reject Threshold to the cfg file may help, unlike fsx, move some of the load back to the cpu!

it hovers at 99% load

Er… and the problem is…?  :unsure: You said you ware happy with the sim and visuals, so… why start fooling around with everything? :blink: It worked fine, didn't it? My GPU is always close to 100% and I am fine with that: that's what I bought it for.  ^_^

That a very limited usage - one aircraft add-on, on scenery-add-on and keep usage low.

Yes, so…?

I thought P3D v2 doesn't require Tweaking the cfg file and what not.  :P

When I posted that we have to do the tweaking and messing with cfg files even for P3D V2, I got plenty of thumbs down. 

We cannot run away from tweaking and messing with cfg file.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Surely the only reliable solution is to use native v2.0 aircraft only?

That has to be the safest bet, but I can say I have yet to have an OOM and have the following add ons installed:

• CS Super MD80 Pro
  • FTXG
  • RA Turbine Duke
  • QW757
  • FSG Mesh

I did have FSDT Hawaiian Airports I & II installed but these are very problematic and FSDT & LM is aware of the problem so I uninstalled those.

I think it has to be specific add ons, and it sounds like Rob has maybe more than one 'bad' one installed.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Surely the only reliable solution is to use native v2.0 aircraft only?

Ha ha ... yeah that wouldn't exactly make a good future for P3DV2.   But the Carenado B1900 is being sold as "Fully P3DV2 compatible", so is FTX Global and FTX Vector and FS Global 2010 FTX Edition ... I can only go by what they claim.

From my testing moving the sliders to the left only increased the duration before I would OOM.  

The default Carenado A36 will OOM also, given enough time over 2 hour flight.

I did update to the nVidia 332.21 drivers, but I'd be really surprised if that is the cause of this round of rapid OOMs problem.

No idea what's going, the VAS usage starts out pretty good 2.5GB then it suddenly jumps to 3.4GB (almost 1GB increase in < 500ms) then another 500ms later an OOM -- keep in mind I'm NOT making any view changes, just looking straight ahead in VC.

Anyway, I posted my thoughts over on my LM VAS usage thread ... I don't think they will sit well with LM, but I'm being as honest as I can be.

I think it has to be specific add ons, and it sounds like Rob has maybe more than one 'bad' one installed.

Hard to say Noel, but for your reference I can duplicate the OOM problem with NO add-ons, it just takes a little longer to OOM (like 2-3 hours).  Turning the sliders to left will increase the duration before an OOM but an OOM is certain and eventual -- there is no point of "stabilization".

From my perspective, there is little to no point in adding visual realism/simulation and even SLi support if one is unable to use those visuals because of VAS usage issues.

From my perspective, there is little to no point in adding visual realism/simulation and even SLi support if one is unable to use those visuals because of VAS usage issues.

+1 If this doesn't get solved, the future of P3D v2 will be looking grim.

I guess maybe also what's happening is how long you're keeping P3D running in a single session.  I can say my longest session has only been about 2.5-3h, but as I say I have been rebooting between longer sessions, which shouldn't be necessary but maybe is why I'm not getting these.  Plus, I'm running autogen at Dense typically, and vegetation at Normal.   Quite frankly I see no evidence SLI will help folks w/ Titan GTX at least it sure doesn't appear so.  I say this because of seeing frame rates lowish in high-demand scenarios (<25 or so in birds like QW757) while at the same time seeing GPU utilization only at 65%, depending on which DirectX-related slider settings I'm having.  To elaborate, I can set super high shadow settings (all boxes checked, quality Ultra) and make GPU use go up, but frame rate doesn't change, so it appears in the former situation V2 looks to be CPU limited again, hence SLI will not fix this, or so it seems to me.

Rob, one question I've never gotten a solid answer on and maybe you know this.  What matters when we are looking at voltage to the CPU:  what 'VID' is reading, or what the voltage is set at in the BIOS?  For example, I have Vcore set at 1.305v in the BIOS, but at 4.423Ghz VID displays as only 1.265v or so.   Intuitively, to me it looks like the BIOS setting is the maximum available voltage, whereas VID might be what is actually being utilized in realtime.  Is the correct or no?  I've been so happy w/ performance at this decent but non-extreme o'c I've just left it there rather than strive for a another 100 more o'c.

If you're still using SB-E as I am have you installed the routine to allow PCI-e 3.0 to work?  I have and I see GPU-Z indicates it's definitely running at that bandwidth maximum.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

+1 If this doesn't get solved

I really hope they come up with some type of solution ... even if they code something to pause the flight while it forces memory cleanup as an interim solution until they officially start work on a 64bit product (if they ever do).  

BUT, I'm not giving up on P3DV2 -- there is still a lot there to enjoy, but it's just incredibly frustrating at times.  At a professional level for use as Training software, I don't see how this will work unless they don't allow add-ons and apply strict restrictions on the visual detail settings.

I'll remain positive and hope updates improve the situation, but what's not good is getting stuck between the pointing fingers game ... aka 3rd party saying it's LM's fault and LM saying it's 3rd party fault or worse yet, both saying it's my fault for turning up the sliders ... you know you shouldn't do that, they are there only to tease, not to actually use ;)  

I'm pretty good at turning a blind eye, but that OOM message isn't something I can pretend I didn't see.

I started a thread last month about a bug of P3D that OOMs can happen with only 3 GB or so of VAS usage.  I can trigger an OOM with 3 GB VAS 100% of the time with what I consider reasonable settings (tessellation 1 notch from right, medium shadows, 4.5 LOD, 1024 textures, 10 m terrain mesh, etc.). That is with FTX Global but no other add ons, and others have reported it with default scenery as well. I almost gave up in despair.  However, I was able to fix the problem by making one change: move the autogen settings to "dense" instead of "very dense". No more OOMs!  I even stopped monitoring VAS usage because I've flown for hours now in a variety of settings with no OOMs.

Beau posted at LM that autogen has more of an effect on VAS than it did in FSX because of the pop-free autogen coding.  There must also be some sort of bug/memory leak to trigger a sudden spike in VAS usage such that the OOM is triggered even when FSUIPC shows lots of free VAS remaining.  I posted in the LM forum about that, so they are aware.  In any case, dense autogen looks great in P3D, and I may well leave my setting there even if I could go back to very dense.  I have a 780 GPU, so that's not an issue.  

For those getting a lot of OOMs (and I was one who never had one in FSX), try setting autogen at dense, tesselation at high or less, terrain mesh at 10m, and LOD at 4.5.  I have not had any OOMs with those settings even while flying add-on aircraft like the Real Air Duke.

For those getting a lot of OOMs (and I was one who never had one in FSX), try setting autogen at dense, tesselation at high or less, terrain mesh at 10m, and LOD at 4.5.  I have not had any OOMs with those settings even while flying add-on aircraft like the Real Air Duke.

No OOMs here and I'm using autogen at Dense, veg at Normal, Tess at max, all terrain/mesh sliders at max inc LOD at 6.5, and GTR at either 2048 or 4096 doesn't seem to matter.  2048 clouds from REX3.  I have run at autogen Very High or maxed and didn't have OOMs there either, but I find Dense is plenty good enough for autogen and it can look too busy at high for my taste.  I fly in the RA Duke as well most of the time.  OMG:  awesome dawn flight out of KPSP (Palm Springs Intl).  Looked SOOO realistic I've never seen anything like that in FSX, not ever!

Noel

What matters when we are looking at voltage to the CPU:  what 'VID' is reading, or what the voltage is set at in the BIOS?

This should answer your question: http://rog.asus.com/51092012/overclocking/overclocking-using-offset-mode-for-cpu-core-voltage/ - it'll depend on how you go about Overclocking.  But yes, you want it to change real time for good overclocking ... you do NOT want it to stay consistently at highest value.  

I don't go into the BIOS/UEFI much any more, I use the Asus AI Suite tools to setup OC profiles from within Windows 7 ... typically when I'm working I run a lower OC profile than when I'm flight simmming (FS is a 4.8Ghz profile).  Regular work/coding is 4.4Ghz profile.  But for really heaving hitting CPU/GPU applications, I have a separate profile for them 4.6Ghz ... cinema4D and Adobe CC will put more stress on my system than Prime95, Sandra BurnIn, or any Flight sim.

If you're still using SB-E as I am have you installed the routine to allow PCI-e 3.0 to work?

I have a Revision C2 3960x and the lastest Asus firmware (UEFI) with Gen 3 enabled.  I did run the nVidia PCI 3.0 batch a few days ago.

For those not sure what Noel is talking about:

NIPci3.jpg

CPURev.jpg

Get the patch here: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/521828/geforce-drivers/geforce-600-series-gen3-support-on-x79-platform-updated-6-19-2012/

Need to "Run As Administrator" and then reboot your system.

Rob

Er… and the problem is…? :unsure: You said you ware happy with the sim and visuals, so… why start fooling around with everything? :blink: It worked fine, didn't it? My GPU is always close to 100% and I am fine with that: that's what I bought it for. ^_^

Yes, so…?

what do you think happens when your card is running at 99%? you get stutters. therefore you need to lower the load. I thought it was common sense.