Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Something interesting about GFWL?

Was reading up on FLIGHT and this seems interesting. Anyone seen anymore info? http://steamcommunity.com/app/203850/discussions/0/666826069079194018/

There seems to be a situation ongoing where many people who purchased DLC and never installed it find that now MS does not seem to be accepting their codes. Complaints are building up...........

http://steamcommunity.com/app/203850/discussions/3/666827974816462359/

As well As other info from MSFLIGHTFORUM.UK http://msflightforum.myfastforum.org/about627.html&highlight=

What was sent; 

Quote: Hi there, 
A question came up on the forums that I visit about GFWLshutting down in July 2014. 
With MSFlight and all of it's content being a digital download through the PCMarketplace,(in which I have purchased all content),and the PC Marketplace is now closed and I cannot run this program anymore,how do we have access to our purchased content as of now and after July of 2014. 
In case if we have to re-install or install on another computer,this is the purpose of this question. 
Any help would be greatly appreciated. 
Thanks,,, 
                  Homer

And the reply; 

Quote: Hello Homer, 
To access content you have already purchased and/or downloaded, you should be able to access the PC Marketplace. A new version was recently released, so if you don’t have that one installed I recommend uninstalling the old one before installing the new one. You can find the new one here: 

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Live/PC/DownloadClient 

Once you have that installed, if you log in and navigate to the download section, you should see all of your content. You can redownload it from there as necessary. 
As far as how long this service will remain available for Flight customers, I don’t have any official announcements on that, but once I do, I will post them at the Flight website and on all of our social media channels. 
Kind Regards, 
USN Saint 
Community Coordinator | Flight & Flight Simulator | Age of Empires 
Gamertag: USN Saint

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

The stuff mentioned about Flight in the first link you posted doesn't match with what I've heard.  The comments form Saint in the second link do though.  It sounds like this Alaska DLC problem is new.  I also didn't know about the updated client.  I wonder what they changed.  I think my next steps should probably be to look into the GFWL replacement again so people can continue to play their existing careers and add-ons\DLC.

I still wonder if we will be able to download our purchased content after July 2014.

Other games are detaching themselves from GFWL to ensure this (like the Batman Arkham series which moved completely to Steamworks), but Microsoft Flight was actually removed from Steam.

Other games are detaching themselves from GFWL to ensure this (like the Batman Arkham series which moved completely to Steamworks), but Microsoft Flight was actually removed from Steam.

That is true. Hopefully all GFWL games will be moved to Steamworks.

BTW... There has been a couple of other Microsoft games that myseriously disappeared from Steam, and people are still forced to use GFWL. *cough* Fable 3 *cough*.

That guy in that second link is a little impatient, don't you think? I'm pretty sure he called MS support. There is a dedicated GFWL support number that nobody knows about, and is almost hidden on Microsoft's page. They're a small group of people (Around 20 I think) and they ALL know what they're doing. It's the best support experience I've ever had over the phone. Their number in the US is +1 (877)-274-4349. They helped me A TON getting Grand Theft Auto 4 to work properly.

Edited by linux731

BTW... There has been a couple of other Microsoft games that myseriously disappeared from Steam, and people are still forced to use GFWL. *cough* Fable 3 *cough*.

The exact same thing happened with Microsoft Flight. Only those who bought the DLC are able to download it from Steam, and the DLC can only be downloaded on GFWL.

I really hope they bring Microsoft Flight back to Steam for everyone, and also let us download the DLC from Steam. This way we will be able to enjoy everything it has to offer forever.

Well technically you were never able to download the DLC from Steam.  When you bought it from Steam you just got a redeemable code which you could use to download it from GFWL.  As far as I know they are doing anything to remove GFWL or move Flight to Steam as it was deemed too much work.  I also wonder if DLC will still be downloadable after the servers are shutdown.  My hunch is no, since you won't be able to log in to see your previous purchases, you will also not be able to download them.

It would sure be nice if we could download our purchased DLC to a thumb drive or some other media. That way we would still have it available in case of a system rebuild, corrupt file, bad drive, etc....

We'll just have to see what happens.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

It would sure be nice if we could download our purchased DLC to a thumb drive or some other media. That way we would still have it available in case of a system rebuild, corrupt file, bad drive, etc....

We'll just have to see what happens.

The thing is, even if the DLC remains in our drives, Microsoft Flight might not be able to recognise it anymore. It's stored in the GFWL folders, and every time you open the client is requires you to log-in to access the DLC.

The thing is, even if the DLC remains in our drives, Microsoft Flight might not be able to recognise it anymore. It's stored in the GFWL folders, and every time you open the client is requires you to log-in to access the DLC.

And that's precisely why people hate games that require you to be logged in do something to play. Or DRM that requires a license check. Situations like this, where companies always say oh, know don't worry, you'll always be able to access your stuff.

Then..........

YANK!!!

U R SKREWED

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

And that's precisely why people hate games that require you to be logged in do something to play. Or DRM that requires a license check. Situations like this, where companies always say oh, know don't worry, you'll always be able to access your stuff.

Then..........

YANK!!!

U R SKREWED

Never trust companies (especially like Microsoft) when DRM like that is involved.

Rick:The files are all located on your hard drive and you could just copy them somewhere else to make a backup, but I'm not sure if just copying them back to the appropriate folder will get everything working smoothly again once the servers go down.

These comments are exactly what I was referring to in my post. I would like to see us be able to save our DLC and have the ability to reinstall it if we have some sort of failure.

As noted, the complication comes in with the way Flight was set up originally.  My feeling is that Microsoft should visit this issue so if and when the servers are shut down, we don't lose our content or our ability to use Flight.  If not, then they should (this is definitely not a likely scenario) open Flight up to the public domain.  I know. This is crazy talk. Microsoft would never do that but it doesn't hurt to think it on our end.

Like I said earlier, we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

These comments are exactly what I was referring to in my post. I would like to see us be able to save our DLC and have the ability to reinstall it if we have some sort of failure.

As noted, the complication comes in with the way Flight was set up originally.  My feeling is that Microsoft should visit this issue so if and when the servers are shut down, we don't lose our content or our ability to use Flight.  If not, then they should (this is definitely not a likely scenario) open Flight up to the public domain.  I know. This is crazy talk. Microsoft would never do that but it doesn't hurt to think it on our end.

Like I said earlier, we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

I really want that to happen, but then I'm thinking, this is Microsoft we're talking about. They don't give a crap about flight simulation anymore, and I doubt they'd spend a single dime on supporting those products ever again.

The easiest thing they can do is move the client and all the DLC to Steam. But the question remains, why did they remove it from Steam?

I just wish they'd revive it...  :(

They don't give a crap about flight simulation anymore, and I doubt they'd spend a single dime on supporting those products ever again.

The easiest thing they can do is move the client and all the DLC to Steam. But the question remains, why did they remove it from Steam?

I believe you answered your question in your previous paragraph.

If they are providing a piece of software, surely they need to provide support for it? Less people using it, less money spent on support...

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

They don't give a crap about flight simulation anymore, and I doubt they'd spend a single dime on supporting those products ever again.

If they are providing a piece of software, surely they need to provide support for it? Less people using it, less money spent on support...

Well the Age of Empires 2 version on Steam certainly gets a ton of attention from Microsoft... They're actively supporting the 9+ year old game on there (Yes, they did do an HD rework but the core game is the same).