Sign in to follow this  

Patch getting close

Getting FSUIPC (joysticks disconnect )

The overall list is a good one and it points out how it was up to the P3d2 user to read message boards like this one to figure out what was going on and how to cope with the issues. Some people rightly believe that it isn't the user's job to do so. That's not my way of thinking, but I do see their point of view.

The joystick issue has to do with Windows 8 and it affects FSX, P3d and any other app that uses a Windows legacy approach to controlling the joystick. MS did something when it developed Windows 8 that messed up the joystick legacy approach without warning. In typical MS fashion, they probably figured that it was up to app developers to figure this out and fix the problem. Of course, FSX being an abandoned MS product, it wasn't too likely that MS was going fix the problem. In any case, FSUIPC "fixes" it, since it uses a different approach in controlling the joystick. LM posted on their official forum that they are trying to fix the Windows 8 issue, but I have a feeling that it might evolve into rewriting the entire P3d2 joystick interface. I would honestly rather that they not spend a lot of time on that and delay the patch.

No amount of dislikes, disagreements or comments to the contrary can erase that fact that LM presented a “bug filled” release.

If you want to sympathize with LM, then I am sure they “appreciate your support” all the way to the bank, while you have yet to have the “sim” experience you expected (or hoped for) when you bought it.

If you can’t see the scam of using your paying customers to do your testing, then you may have been victimized by it for so long by other developers (like x-plane users), that you now "defend it" because you don’t know any better.

Even PMDG has to release a patch to their 777. I genuinely believe them when they say they make their absolute best effort to release a bug free product. The thing is, when software reaches a certain level of complexity it is not necessarily that customers are being "victimized" by lazy software developers as much as the complexity becomes so much that it becomes difficult to find every single bug and potential software problem with a finite resource of testers and developers. Of course it can happen, some developers intentionally release a knowingly incomplete product but I don´t think it´s a s simple as you say. I for one have not had any troubles with P3Dv2 at all, so the "bug filled" release would have passed muster on my specific computer and my specific setup. No amount of dislikes, disagreements or comments to the contrary can erase the fact that I have had a trouble free use of P3Dv2.

Kind regards

JS

the scam of using your paying customers to do your testing

I think this may be more of an error in your perception of the reality of the situation rather than the reality itself.

This isn't like the first payware aircraft I ever bought, the Carenado 337 Skymaster.  It had bugs where you couldn't do some of the startup checklist items.  In other words, no one ever actually went through the checklist, or if they did, the problems were ignored.  These weren't problems that affected a handful of users, they affected everyone.  I didn't complain, I just fixed the problems and didn't tell Carenado because it was clear they weren't interested in customer input.  Subsequent patches (available ONLY from Carenado and I bought the plane from Aerosoft and didn't have obvious access to the Carenado patches) may have fixed some of these, but I've already done too much tweaking on the aircraft to lose them.

Spend some time in the industry working for huge companies on major projects with large programming teams (something like LM and P3D) and you'll get a better understanding of how things work.

because you don’t know any better.

Come back when you've had 35 years experience and see what it's like to have someone with a bit less experience tell you that.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

If you can’t see the scam of using your paying customers to do your testing, then you may have been victimized by it for so long by other developers (like x-plane users), that you now "defend it" because you don’t know any better.

I really don't mind the XPlane open testing model, which is similar BTW, to the open beta testing of  one of the best weather engines, OPUSFSX. Focusing on OPUSFSX for a moment, the authors try to improve the product with beta versions almost every few days. I for one, like that constantly adjusting, iterative testing model, but I can see why other people just want either a flight sim app or an add-on "to work" and that's that. Unfortunately, given the "open" nature of the ESP simulation engine, an app written to take advantage of the engine has to be written to prejudge not only the mix of potential hardware out there, but also what other 3rd party add-ons might be thrown into the mix that create additional conflicts. No amount of internal testing can expose all the possible permutations of hardware and add-ons.

If LM did anything wrong with the release of P3d2, it was that their beta was not wide enough. Perhaps, another company might have even had an open beta like LR does with XP or what is ongoing with OPUSFSX. But LM is a defense contractor. They may have certain corporate restrictions that preclude accepting "just anyone" into a beta test. I can see that and fully understand why.

No amount of dislikes, disagreements or comments to the contrary can erase that fact that LM presented a “bug filled” release.

If you want to sympathize with LM, then I am sure they “appreciate your support” all the way to the bank, while you have yet to have the “sim” experience you expected (or hoped for) when you bought it.

If you were not happy with Prepar3d v.2.0, then why didn't you return it?  Personally I don't know of any scams that will give you a full refund, for up to 60 days.

If you did return your copy, then why are you still here?

I've had very few problems running P3D2, and I've pretty much had the simming experience that I expected so far ... but perhaps my expectations were a bit more realistic than yours, as I never expected that v.2.0 would be bug free. Name me one new version of ANY complex software, that was bug free. I've been flying sims since MSF4 and was a beta tester for Fly! and for MS Flight (and for a bunch of popular PC games), and I make complex overhaul mods for RPGs, so (like a LOT of others here) I actually do know what I'm taking about.

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

I've had very few problems running P3D2, and I've pretty much had the simming experience that I expected so far

What I've begun to notice is that people that report having only minor issues with P3d2 seem to have systems with larger amounts of physical RAM. For example, you have 16 GB and I have 40 GB. I actually did have 48 GB, but my mobo doesn't boot 100% of the time when OCed, with all the RAM slots filled.

What the reason for this "success" with more physical RAM is, I have no idea. P3d2 can't use more than 4GB of addressable space, whether it's physical or virtual. But I do know that under Win 8.1, my OS uses close to 4 GB of physical RAM, just when it boots up and nothing else is running. The OS also seems to "hide" additional apps, services, etc. in virtual storage. My guess is that if you give Windows x64 more physical RAM and virtual RAM, it will try to use it, so that commonly accessed libraries and services aren't being constantly loaded and unloaded from memory.

What I've begun to notice is that people that report having only minor issues with P3d2 seem to have systems with larger amounts of physical RAM.

This has been a theory that I've also had for a while now, but I think it may also be connected to having Win 8.1 as an OS. (As these two factors now also seem to affect the stability of some of the more demanding recent games, like Battlefield 4.)

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

You are dangerously close to libel with the above remark. If you are unsure what that means, consult an attorney.

In any case, you've stated your point several times, so you can quit beating the horse now.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Ur drunk.

Wes updates his post again and says:

Great, but... they are finishing up the patch while two very important problems haven't been solved yet:

- Bug - Texture loading engine causing multiple texture sets to load

- Rendering Performance - Further optimize autogen system

I am beginning to worry those things won't make it in the patch.

Hey Jeroen,

The Rendering performance - Further optimize autogen system has now been moved to the 'fixed' list!

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=4373

The Rendering performance - Further optimize autogen system has now been moved to the 'fixed' list!

That is very good news.  I suspect that a few more of the issues that are currently being worked on will be on the resolved listing by the time that the patch is released.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

What I've begun to notice is that people that report having only minor issues with P3d2 seem to have systems with larger amounts of physical RAM.

I have 32Gb of 2400Mhz ram running quad channel and don't have problems w/ P3D V2 either.  Runs quite well, looks fabulous.  I still have FSX installed but I never use it any more.  Just hoping the PMDG T7 is authorized & optimized for V2 as then I will be in hog heaven w/ V2.  I'd like to see UTX move their P3D V2 upgrade along quicker as I won't touch Vector w/ a 10ft pole.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X