Sign in to follow this  
woodhick

Change Degrees C to Degrees Fahrenheit

The temperature read out on the Condition Page of ASN (any given airport) displays in degrees C.  Is there a way to set things to display in degrees F?

Oh yes, just Multiply by 9, then divide by 5, then add 32 in your mind and you're all set.

As for ASN, I don't see such an option.

After all, Celsius is a much better temperature scale as it has the same *step size* as Kelvin. In thermodynamics and heat transfer there are lots of stuff that is driven by *Delta T* the temperature difference. You get the same result if you calculate in Celsius or Kelvin. Also Celsius directly relates to the water freezing point and boiling point under 1 atm.

So, Celsius is a much better temperature scale when it comes to the engineering and research field than Fahrenheit. Fahrenheit is good for daily use in North America, but the rest of the world are using Celsius. So no wonder that a simulator software has no Fahrenheit support.

Zicheng Cai

Thanks Cai.  I'll just keep my pocket calculator nearby when reviewing my flight plan and conditions.  Yeah, I already knew all that for the fast and dirty conversion but wondered (and still wonder) that there is no setting to simply change what the screen displays.

Thanks Cai.  I'll just keep my pocket calculator nearby when reviewing my flight plan and conditions.  Yeah, I already knew all that for the fast and dirty conversion but wondered (and still wonder) that there is no setting to simply change what the screen displays.

No. I looked through the settings page and found nothing related.

Zicheng Cai

No. I looked through the settings page and found nothing related.

Nope, me neither.  That's why I asked. 

It's easy to do without a calculator too...take deg C, multiply by two, subtract 10%, add 32. 

So for 20 deg C, multiply x 2 (40), subtract 10% (4) to get 36, add 32 for 68 deg F.

Cheers

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

When I lived in the States I swore I would never use Celsius and metric but it is so much easier and would never go back. After a few months you can just convert it in your head. Like learning a second language.

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

Quick and easy conversion:

C to F = multiply by 2, add 30

F to C = subtract 30, divide by 2

(C to F)

0 = 32

5 = 40

10 = 50

15 = 60

20 = 70

25 = 80

30 = 90

More or less within 1-2 degrees.

Interesting fact, that only the U.S, the Bahamas, the Caymans, Belize, Palau, and possibly a few African countries are the only ones left using Fahrenheit. 

Come on USA, you can join everyone else. So much easier. 100C is boiling point, 0 is freezing point. And minus Celsius and you better start layering up clothing. Easy peasy.  :)

Probably why aviation has adopted C as the standard, since its nearly worldwide, and below 10C you start dealing with icing conditions. 

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png