Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

FS2004 Photoreal over Napa Valley

I've been experimenting with FSEarthTiles so I can create my own photoreal scenery for FS2004.  I was very pleased with the initial result although it took me some time to get the scenery to compile correctly, a fair amount of trial and error since the FSEarthTiles forum wasn't seeing much support activity over the weekend.  But I got it done, with very nice results.  Just one shot here--too busy flying over my new scenery.

I will try to work on packages I can upload to the library--my main goal is to cover Switzerland....

Enjoy!

John C.

FS2004Photoreal_zpsb212a5d0.jpg

Great view of Napa Valley!

HLJAMES

Hey how did you manage the Photoscenery with FSET , I have tried maybe a millions times but I always get greenish gray area on that.

Can you give me your fsearthtiles.ini ?

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Hey how did you manage the Photoscenery with FSET , I have tried maybe a millions times but I always get greenish gray area on that.

Can you give me your fsearthtiles.ini ?

Here it is--tweaked to work for FS2004.  I have not tried water masks--still learning how to do that.  But I prefer the natural color of the water at altitude anyway.  I am working on Arizona currently--covering an area of roughly 90,000 sq. miles.  It's a slow process but it is working well.  You just need to remember to delete the .tga files when the project is finished, because they burn up a lot of space.  And make sure your imagetoolfs2004 and resamplefs2004 have a date/timestamp of January 04 and March 04 respectively.  I've only had luck with the one service I am using, however the coverage is excellent.  The process as configured uses roughly 2GB of memory, so don't plan on flying if you are building a large area like I am.  I drop the scenery into it's intended destination, renaming the last folder according to the area I am building.  It's an amazing tool, Kudos to the developer--it opens up flying for me in FS2004 again, which I love due to the WOAI installation I have and due to my suite of aircraft I purchased, especially the Piaggio Avanti.

#       FS Earth Tiles   Version V1.03b  HB-100, July 2008

#

#  ****.***   you need to replace this with a service base address.

#  %s         In the URL %s is the placeholder for the later on service access filled in Tile code

#

#  hint: Check Tile Proxy Project forums to figure out working service configurations

#        Also mind that a service URL often contains a map version number that you should update from time to time (try and err)

#

#  check the user documentation (UserDocu.rtf) for help with the parameters in this file

#

#-------------------------------------------------

# WARNING!

#

# Earth Services have copyright on their material! That means you may not distribute sceneries you create that includes such material!

# You are also not really allowed to download such material and use it in FS or elsewhere without the permission of the services.

#

# Also note that some services will not like you accessing their informations in this for them uncontrolled way

# and temporary block and ban you.

#

#--- Services Configuration ---    # you can add up to 9 Services entries

[service1]

ServiceCodeing = 0123

ServiceUrl = http://a1.ortho.tiles.virtualearth.net/tiles/a%s.jpeg?g=104 #you need to replace the * with a service base url

#Referer = http://a1.ortho.tiles.virtualearth.net #optional (old version g=52)

#UserAgent = Mozilla/4.0 #optional

ServerVariations = a0,a1,a2,a3 #Server variations that all have to contain the same Tiles

[ProxyList]                                                      #if you want to use proxies (web/http) add them here

direct                                                           #use the word "direct" in the List to mark a connection without Proxy

#127.0.0.1:8118                                                  #local proxy  (example for TOR net)                                              

#130.149.49.26:3124                                              #external proxy example

#direct                                                          #you may enter the same Proxies more than one time in this list if you like

#132.239.17.224:68664                                            #Use the next button to change cycle throughthe proxy list manualy. (note original I planed a proxy change automatisation but didn't implement it at the end)

#---FS Earth Tiles Start up default values---

[FSEarthTiles]

WorkingFolder            = C:\Program Files (x86)\fsearthtiles\work                                  #working space folder.

SceneryFolder            = C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\NewScenery\California   #scenery folder. Note it stores the files in the texture and scenery Sub-folder

UseCache         = Yes

BlankTileColorRed     = 0

BlankTileColorGreen     = 30

BlankTileColorBlue     = 35

DownloadResolution       = 4                                    #-4...8

StartWithService         = Service1

SelectedSceneryCompiler  = FS2004                                  #choose: FSX or FS2004  

AreaSnap                 = LOD13                                  #Off/LOD13/LatLong/Tiles/Pixel, IMPORTANT: Select LOD13 for FS2004 to avoid water borders!

CreateAreaMaskBmp        = Yes                                  #if Yes Area Mask Bitmap will be created that are used for Blend and Water and Seasons. (note FS2004 does not know blend)

CompileScenery           = Yes                                  #Yes = Compile the Scenery, No = Download the Area only.

AutoReferenceMode        = 2                                    #  1..4 only active if AreaSnap is not off

#  1 = match exact Area Dimensions, 2 = allow to go one large, 3 = maximum freedom in going larger (largest areas simular to Area Snap Off), 4 = divide into single units

Zoom                     = 4                                    # -4...18

AreaDefinitionMode       = 2Points

NorthWestCornerLatitude  = 38deg 36min 21.45sec north

NorthWestCornerLongitude = 122deg 46min 59.53sec west

SouthEastLatitude        = 37deg 56min 8.85sec north

SouthEastLongitude       = 121deg 56min 0.94sec west

#--- Third Party Tools ---

UseAreaKMLFile                  = No                         #yes = an AreaKML.kml File is expected in the Work Folder used for Water and Blend Vectors. You need to create that File in advance!

UseScalableVectorGraphicsTool   = No                          #yes = Starts the SVG Tool for every Downloaded Area (Only if CreateAreaMaskBmp is on)

ScalableVectorGraphicsTool      = C:\Inkscape\inkscape.exe    #Used for Drawing Water and Blend Vectors creating a .SVG File

@Cactus

Thank you for the .ini, I have used FSEt for FSX and without problems.

I have 8 GB RAM so no issues.

Hi John,

Really nice work... Just a point that may be of interest to you - have you seen Arno's new "scenproc" tool over at FSDeveloper... From what I understand - it gives you the ability to automatically populate autogen on thousands of square miles of photo-real scenery based on shape data you can download off various reference sites... I think it's a huge step forward in the world of photo-real ground cover... I haven't messed with it myself yet - but - from what I've seen it sure looks promising...

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Hi John,

Really nice work... Just a point that may be of interest to you - have you seen Arno's new "scenproc" tool over at FSDeveloper... From what I understand - it gives you the ability to automatically populate autogen on thousands of square miles of photo-real scenery based on shape data you can download off various reference sites... I think it's a huge step forward in the world of photo-real ground cover... I haven't messed with it myself yet - but - from what I've seen it sure looks promising...

Regards,

Scott

That would be quite something--I'd love to add trees in forested areas for example.  The wonderful thing is developers keep our sims alive by their efforts....  Who knew I'd find something to enjoy with FS2004 again a decade after its release!

John

@Cactus

Thank you for the .ini, I have used FSEt for FSX and without problems.

I have 8 GB RAM so no issues.

The way my .ini is set up, FSEarthTiles doesn't seem to need more than 2GB of RAM.   I do suggest changing the download res. to 3.  I have had fantastic results and the scenery compiles faster.

JC

The way my .ini is set up, FSEarthTiles doesn't seem to need more than 2GB of RAM.   I do suggest changing the download res. to 3.  I have had fantastic results and the scenery compiles faster.

JC

I download at 1 mile resolution. Will be doing it tonight as work is late tomorrow will post back sir and thanks.

I download at 1 mile resolution. Will be doing it tonight as work is late tomorrow will post back sir and thanks.

I have one problem...  I am getting a thin gray line at the borders of scenery areas--about a half mile in width.  When I wrote Landclass Assistant I had this problem too, then someone helped me with the .inf settings--I changed the cells to 257x257 in the inf I included with the program and uploaded a new releases, which fixed the issue for members who used my program.  It's specific to FS2004 I think.

John

where is this .inf ?   I have still not started downloading it yet , as I have carried my work home , freaking bosses :) .  but will be try a small area for frankfurt ETA 45 mins that would be 4 a.m. here in India.  :)

@Cactus,

I am still getting the gray area on the photo scenery using your .ini

'

@Cactus,

I am still getting the gray area on the photo scenery using your .ini

'

Not sure why....  Try this new .ini (also, just use my defaults at first, don't change anything other than your selected scenery area.  Try with my resolution of 3, FS2004 can't look much better anyway):

#       FS Earth Tiles   Version V1.03b
#
#  ****.***   you need to replace this with a service base address.
#  %s         In the URL %s is the placeholder for the later on service access filled in Tile code
#
#  hint: Check Tile Proxy Project forums to figure out working service configurations
#        Also mind that a service URL often contains a map version number that you should update from time to time (try and err)
#
#  check the user documentation (UserDocu.rtf) for help with the parameters in this file
#
# WARNING!
#
# Earth Services have copyright on their material! That means you may not distribute sceneries you create that includes such material!
# You are also not really allowed to download such material and use it in FS or elsewhere without the permission of the services.
#
# Also note that some services will not like you accessing their informations in this for them uncontrolled way
# and temporary block and ban you.
#

#--- Services Configuration ---    # you can add up to 9 Services entries

[Service1]
ServiceCodeing = 0123
ServiceUrl = http://a1.ortho.tiles.virtualearth.net/tiles/a%s.jpeg?g=104'>http://a1.ortho.tiles.virtualearth.net/tiles/a%s.jpeg?g=104 #you need to replace the * with a service base url
#Referer = http://server0.acmeglobe.com/terraintil ... ACBCA&v=10 #optional,
ServerVariations = a0,a1,a2,a3 #Server variations that all have to contain the same Tiles

[Service2]
ServiceCodeing = 0123
ServiceUrl = http://a1.ortho.tiles.virtualearth.net/tiles/a%s.jpeg?g=104'>http://a1.ortho.tiles.virtualearth.net/tiles/a%s.jpeg?g=104 #you need to replace the * with a service base url
#Referer = http://a1.ortho.tiles.virtualearth.net #optional (old version g=52)

[Service3]
ServiceCodeing = xyz
ServiceUrl = http://us.maps3.yimg.com/aerial.maps.yimg.com/img?%s&v=1.7&t=a'>http://us.maps3.yimg.com/aerial.maps.yimg.com/img?%s&v=1.7&t=a # You need to replace both groups of ****.***
#Referer = http://us.maps3.yimg.com"target="_blank"target="_blank
#UserAgent = Mozilla/4.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1) AppleWebKit/535.11 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/17.0.963.83 Safari/535.11

[ProxyList]                                                     
direct                                                           

#---FS Earth Tiles Start up default values---

[FSEarthTiles]

WorkingFolder            = C:\Program Files (x86)\fsearthtiles\work                                           #working space folder.
SceneryFolder            = C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\NewScenery\Northern California   #scenery folder
UseCache         = Yes
BlankTileColorRed     = 0
BlankTileColorGreen     = 30
BlankTileColorBlue     = 35
DownloadResolution       = 3                                    #-4...8

StartWithService         = Service2
SelectedSceneryCompiler  = FS2004                               #choose: FSX or FS2004  
AreaSnap                 = LOD13                                #Off/LOD13/LatLong/Tiles/Pixel
CreateAreaMaskBmp        = Yes                                  
CompileScenery           = Yes                                  #Yes = Compile the Scenery, No = Download the Area only.
AutoReferenceMode        = 2                                    #  1..4 only active if AreaSnap is not off
Zoom                     = 4                                    # -4...18

AreaDefinitionMode       = 1Point
AreaSizeX                = 120
AreaSizeY                = 120
CenterLatitude           = 38deg 36min 21.45sec north
CenterLongitude         =  122deg 46min 59.53sec west

KeepAreaInfFile            = Yes   
KeepAreaMaskInfFile        = Yes     
KeepAreaMaskSeasonInfFile  = Yes     
KeepAreaEarthInfoFile      = Yes   
KeepSourceBitmap           = No    
KeepSummerBitmap           = No  
KeepMaskBitmap             = No   
KeepSeasonsBitmaps         = No

FSEarthMasksTool          = FSEarthMasks.exe
#FSEarthTiles add on Application for generating Water Masks and seasons.
#Make sure it is in the FSEarthTiles folder and not missing.

CreateWaterMaskBitmap      = Yes   
CreateSummerBitmap         = Yes
CreateNightBitmap          = No
CreateSpringBitmap         = No
CreateAutumnBitmap         = No
CreateWinterBitmap         = No   
CreateHardWinterBitmap     = No

#--- Third Party Tools ---
UseAreaKMLFile                  = No                          #
UseScalableVectorGraphicsTool   = No                          #
ScalableVectorGraphicsTool      = C:\Inkscape\inkscape.exe    #

Trying it now, may take time to download Seattle area at 3m @75 KBps : ( bad speed at home .

Hey do you know how to geo position the Google warehouse model in Fs2004 ? I have converted the Starbucks.kmz of google warehouse by using ModelconverterX , this is in the Seattle area , So I put the .bgl in the addon scenery directory but I don't think it is showing up as I slewed to that are but nothing except two stadiums.

Help / info appreciated.